Local time: 20:53
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have been... Dec 8, 2016

John Fossey wrote:

DanniRM wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I've been translating and editing for years, but really need for language work to become more of a second profession than a fly-by-night type of job. I want to use forums like Pro-Z, but find it all so intimidating and have no idea how to start. What are all the translation programs (Trados, etc) people talk about? How do I learn to use them? Which are the industry standards? How do I price my work? Do I need to go back and get a degree in translation? Do I need to fight tooth and nail for jobs? When I get jobs sent to me, it's easy--but trying to jump into this online world of "modern" translators is scary....Can anyone tell me what I need to do??? I came close to buying a Pro-Z membership just now, and then I remembered that I have no clue what to do with it.

Thanks so much,
Danni

Check out the "Education" area of this site. The answers to all your questions are there. You don't need to buy membership at first.

I've been asking questions and having meetings, reading forums and trying to get answers. It was important for me to consolidate my very honest concerns and confusion and to get some focused responses. Looks like I've gotten some in this thread thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

DanniRM
DanniRM
Israel
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice!! Dec 8, 2016

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

You want to know how to be a translator. There is no "modern". Translation involves rendering a text from one language into another language without losing or changing meaning, in manner that is readable in the target language, and keeping in mind context, needs, tone etc. It requires excellent command of both languages. The basic twin criteria in checking your work (which is necessary for doing anything professional, and what else is there) are "translation" (the accurate rendering etc.) and "language" (readability and correctness of the target language. This was true 50 years ago and it is true now.
The "modern" bit is probably the ability to use on-line resources, being available and reachable in manners other than by telephone. If by "modern" you mean CAT tools - not everyone uses them. I don't use them because the type of material I translate the most doesn't call for them.
The ability to research is important. Of course this query of yours is in itself research. Narrow down your questions to make them less broad, and then first research sub-categories. That same approach applies to researching actual translation projects.
One tip - Before accepting any project, examine the whole thing and make sure that you are sufficiently knowledgeable in that field that you will be able to understand the text, and render it in an understandable manner in the language of that field. Knowing when to say "no" is also part of professionalism in translation.
Best of luck!

Thanks so much!

DanniRM
DanniRM
Israel
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
True... Dec 8, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

though?

I would think a "modern translator" would be one who lives in the country where the official language is their target language, would be constantly reading/hearing spoken every type of text and who is up to speed with how the target language is changing. I'm always coming across non-native speakers who think their English is the latest version and that they are speaking in, like, a really cool way, Man. But they aren't. Here's an American version of the same thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnUv2fhFy5E

[Edited at 2016-12-08 14:24 GMT]

...but I'm holding on to "rad".

DanniRM
DanniRM
Israel
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU Dec 8, 2016

Merab Dekano wrote:

You need a number of skills and vast amount of experience to become a successful translator, but there is nothing that cannot be achieved. After all, we all started somewhere.

In my opinion, however, ours isn't exactly what you could call an escape profession. You need a special personality, the one that lets you enjoy going to the most insane level of detail, and patience, vast amount of patience.

It's a long journey (it takes from 6 to 24 months to settle in, and that's only a beginning). Therefore, you have to be absolutely sure (even cocksure, to some extent) that this is what you want to do for living.

I did an experiment. I asked my friend who is also Spanish and has very good command of English, to translate a passage from an article, about one page long (300 words). She completed the job in just 18 minutes (it usually takes 1 hour). I went through the text and notices gross errors; two mistranslations, more than 10 spelling mistakes and almost every sentence was an exact replica of the source language syntax. I pointed out some errors and asked her to correct them. She was finished in 8 minutes. Most of the errors remained. I corrected the text with track changes and gave her the text for her review. She was supposed to read the changes and then redo the translation from scratch. She gave up.

There are a lot of things you can learn (how to use CAT tools, grammar rules, spelling rules, where to find dictionaries, corpora, glossaries, forums, etc.) Here are things you can't learn:

- To produce a text in your native language that is pleasant to read
- To be meticulous and detail-oriented
- To never give up
- To accept constructive and didactic criticism and to take maximum out of it
- To read and understand the target text carefully, not just glance it and second-guess
- To work long hours alone, every day, and feel fine

If you have the right sort of personality for the profession, you need little guidance, really. Start reading and absorbing everything right here, on ProZ forums. Try things out, volunteer, start building resources and your confidence, buy a CAT tool, start using it, send letters to potential customers, read carefully corrections you might receive, and you will be making a decent living in one or two years time. More importantly, you will be doing what you love to do, and this will bring you enormous satisfaction.

Good luck and possible welcome!

[Edited at 2016-12-08 20:41 GMT]

Thanks for taking the time to write such a helpful response!

[Edited at 2016-12-08 23:02 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Strongly disagree with Sheila Dec 9, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:
I'm sorry, but you can't call yourself a translator if you have no idea how to research anything.

I rather disagree. Entering the translation field can be overwhelming. It can be difficult to see the wood for the trees.

I'm surprised that no-one has recommended reading a book yet. Googling "books for translators" gets me a number of pages with recommended books, but this page looks like a good starting point. Some of those books are even available for free if you google hard enough. That said, the only book on that list that I had read so far is Corinne McKay's "How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator", which I can recommend. Alex Eames' "Business Success for Freelance Translators" (a revised edition of the classic old "$80 000" book) is also worth a read. I haven't read Luke Spear's book, but you can download it for free at his web site and it can't hurt to read it.

[Edited at 2016-12-09 11:04 GMT]

DanniRM
DanniRM
Israel
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 9, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:
I'm sorry, but you can't call yourself a translator if you have no idea how to research anything.

I rather disagree. Entering the translation field can be overwhelming. It can be difficult to see the wood for the trees.

I'm surprised that no-one has recommended reading a book yet. Googling "books for translators" gets me a number of pages with recommended books, but this page looks like a good starting point. Some of those books are even available for free if you google hard enough. That said, the only book on that list that I had read so far is Corinne McKay's "How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator", which I can recommend. Alex Eames' "Business Success for Freelance Translators" (a revised edition of the classic old "$80 000" book) is also worth a read. I haven't read Luke Spear's book, but you can download it for free at his web site and it can't hurt to read it.

[Edited at 2016-12-09 11:04 GMT]

Thanks, Samuel!! I'm going to find all these materials today. Thank you so much for the help

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:53
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Apologies for the rather blunt response Dec 9, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:
Sheila Wilson wrote:

I do agree that it can be very difficult as a total newcomer, Samuel. However, the OP started by saying this:

I've been translating and editing for years, but really need for language work to become more of a second profession than a fly-by-night type of job.

So it seems as though they already have a fair amount of experience, either as a salaried or as an undeclared translator. The only change needed would then be to set up as a freelancer.

Yes, my response was rather blunt, and I apologise for that. I should have pointed the OP to the areas of the site where help can be obtained:
The site guidance centre is there for exactly that reason, with an enormous amount of information: http://www.proz.com/guidance-center
The Wikis give info on just about everything (including writing a CV): http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Everything that's ever been discussed before will still be in the forums: http://www.proz.com/forum
You'll want to avoid being scammed: http://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts
And you'll want an idea of rates others say they charge (this statistical data may or may not be of use, depending on sample size etc): http://search.proz.com/?sp=pfe/rates
Or simply find out how much you need to charge to pay your bills: http://www.proz.com/translator-rates-calculator/
Various training proposals are available: http://www.proz.com/about/overview/education

If you're looking to use ProZ.com as your showcase and find clients here, then there are some specific things to do, as you'll find out in the Site Guidance Centre.
Your directory ranking is incredibly important for doing business here as clients only tend to find those at the top: http://www.proz.com/guidance-center/directory-rank
And once clients find you, your profile has to impress them. So book a place on the free webinar: http://www.proz.com/pages/meeting_clients_webinar

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:53
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ahhh Mar 27, 2017

jyuan_us wrote:

though?

A modern translator is someone who says "awesome" (pronounced ah-some) instead of "thank you".

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:53
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
DON'T do that, please Mar 27, 2017

DanniRM wrote:

Alvaro Espantaleon wrote:

Just offer very low rates here in ProZ or anywhere else. Many outsourcers will hire you on the sole basis of those rates and...that's it: there you are translating, the dream becomes a reality.

[Edited at 2016-12-07 21:26 GMT]

I'll try that, just to build a resume, at least.

I think Alvaro was rather sarcastic with his comment.
Offering very low rates just to build a resume is a stupid thing to do. You would be hurting not only yourself, but the entire industry. It has been discussed many times in the forums, please search. You are better off working for non-profits, doing translations for free, if you think you need to build experience and a list of projects for your resume.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 19:53
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Revolving... Mar 27, 2017

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

DanniRM wrote:

Alvaro Espantaleon wrote:

Just offer very low rates here in ProZ or anywhere else. Many outsourcers will hire you on the sole basis of those rates and...that's it: there you are translating, the dream becomes a reality.

[Edited at 2016-12-07 21:26 GMT]

I'll try that, just to build a resume, at least.

I think Alvaro was rather sarcastic with his comment.
Offering very low rates just to build a resume is a stupid thing to do. You would be hurting not only yourself, but the entire industry. It has been discussed many times in the forums, please search. You are better off working for non-profits, doing translations for free, if you think you need to build experience and a list of projects for your resume.

Each year, there are new comers coming in who want to "build a resume at cheap rates" so it means each year outsources have a constant and reliable stream of service providers willing to work at cheap rates. Nice one. And we are wondering how the rates dropped to the rock bottom.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I become a "modern" translator?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »