Netherlands
Local time: 09:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On Virtaal as TBX editor Apr 5, 2010

UserOne wrote:
Virtaal (without OmegaT) can edit both TBX and TMX and runs under Windows Linux and MAC OS.

Virtaal can edit the existing entries in existing TBX files, but you can't create new TBX files or add new entries or delete entries from TBX files with it. It's like having a word processor (for MS Word or OOo Writer) that allows you to edit existing Word or Writer files, but does not allow you to create new files or to add or delete paragraphs from existing Word or Writer files.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Script Apr 5, 2010

If you need something that can create TBX files from some standard format (tab delimited txt, ideally) and still haven't found the right solution, perhaps I can help you.
I wrote a TMX creator for my aligner and I'm pretty sure I can bolt together a TBX creator in no time as well.
A batch mode would probably be easy to set up, too, i.e. run the script once and have all files in a folder converted.
Of course this wouldn't allow you to edit TBX files or convert them back to whate
... See more
If you need something that can create TBX files from some standard format (tab delimited txt, ideally) and still haven't found the right solution, perhaps I can help you.
I wrote a TMX creator for my aligner and I'm pretty sure I can bolt together a TBX creator in no time as well.
A batch mode would probably be easy to set up, too, i.e. run the script once and have all files in a folder converted.
Of course this wouldn't allow you to edit TBX files or convert them back to whatever other format, just generate them.

To be honest though, I think tab separated UTF-8 txt is probably still the easiest format for most people to handle. It's far from ideal for synonyms and such like, but at least it's truly portable. I for one wouldn't be too happy if I had to try and import a TBX to MultiTerm.

[Edited at 2010-04-05 17:13 GMT]
Collapse

Try Lokalize Apr 10, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

UserOne wrote:
Virtaal (without OmegaT) can edit both TBX and TMX and runs under Windows Linux and MAC OS.

Virtaal can edit the existing entries in existing TBX files, but you can't create new TBX files or add new entries or delete entries from TBX files with it. It's like having a word processor (for MS Word or OOo Writer) that allows you to edit existing Word or Writer files, but does not allow you to create new files or to add or delete paragraphs from existing Word or Writer files.

Then try Lokalize. It runs on Linux and Windows. With it you can add/modify/delete concepts, set a subject field for a concept, set definitions, and translations. It is a really basic editor for TBX, but maybe it is useful for you. And you can import existing TBX files.

I really hope that one of the TBX editor projects that have started in the last years could reach a stable version, and not to disappear silently as some of them did.

Yes, but it isn't very helpful Apr 10, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

Of course this wouldn't allow you to edit TBX files or convert them back to whatever other format, just generate them.

To be honest though, I think tab separated UTF-8 txt is probably still the easiest format for most people to handle. It's far from ideal for synonyms and such like, but at least it's truly portable. I for one wouldn't be too happy if I had to try and import a TBX to MultiTerm.

[Edited at 2010-04-05 17:13 GMT]

TBX also is truly portable, since it is text as well. And in it you can specify very complex relations amongst the different elements in the glossary.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Read vs parse Apr 11, 2010

unho wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

TBX also is truly portable, since it is text as well. And in it you can specify very complex relations amongst the different elements in the glossary.

Yes, TBX is txt so a text editor can read it... now show me how you can import it into multiterm 2007 or omegat without extra software, or just make any sense of it in any way without installing specialized sw. Opening a tagged file in a text editor and reading the content is not my idea of a convenient usage scenario.

A tab delimited txt can be used by anyone in any OS. All they need is a spreadsheet or database program of some sort and they can search it conveniently as is or import it into their CAT of choice. Even a text editor or word processor will allow them to search reasonably well if they have no CAT and no spreadsheet program.

Of course TBX has more advanced features than a txt, otherwise it would be completely pointless... But I'd propose that it's nowhere near widespread enough (yet) to be considered a standard everyone can easily use. In other words, only use it if you know that the software the other party uses is TBX-compatible.

I_CH
I_CH  Identity Verified

German to Italian
+ ...
TBX to open MicrosoftTermCollection Sep 24, 2010

Hello
I was looking for a TBX editor in order to open/read the MicrosoftTermCollection.tbx (available from the Microsoft terminology portal @ http://www.microsoft.com/Language/en-US/Terminology.aspx) and found this forum.

I have tried with Olifant but it asks for some filter settings, about which I dont have any idea.

Before wasting time downloadin
... See more
Hello
I was looking for a TBX editor in order to open/read the MicrosoftTermCollection.tbx (available from the Microsoft terminology portal @ http://www.microsoft.com/Language/en-US/Terminology.aspx) and found this forum.

I have tried with Olifant but it asks for some filter settings, about which I dont have any idea.

Before wasting time downloading and testing other editors I wonder if somebody has already successfully opened MicrosoftTermCollection.tbx with any of the tbx editors suggested and is working with it.

Kind Regards
Alberto
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:57
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Xbench Oct 15, 2010

Xbench can handle TBX, and pretty much anything else you decide to toss its way.

My only problem with it is that it seems to run entirely in RAM, which would preclude me being able to use it in the long run for large collections of data. I only have 3 or 4 GB on Windows XP 32bit.

Michael

[Edited at 2010-10-16 10:54 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Xbench Oct 15, 2010

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

Xbench can handle TBX, and pretty much anything else you decide to toss its way.

My only problem with it is that it seems to run entirely in RAM, which would preclude me being able to use it in the long run for large collections of data. I only have 3 or 4 GB on Windows XP 32bit.

Michael

It does run entirely in RAM but that doesn't necessarily stop you from using it with large amounts of data. It's still the best tool I have for large TMs, so I have an Xbench project set up with about 2,5 million TUs in 10 or so files. They are all tab delimited as that's the most efficient format. They take 5+ minutes to load and take up about 900MB of RAM, but it works reasonably well.

Xbench should work with the MS TBX files, but you will lose the definitions, which is a pretty big drawback if you ask me.

Lixiang LIU
Lixiang LIU  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:57
English to Chinese
Another way to edit your terminology file Jun 1, 2011

This may sounds bad but it actually worked on my case.

You can try export your tbx file into a Tab Delimited .txt file, after that open it with Microsoft Excel, you can edit the terminologies directly on Excel then. (If you don't have a terminology database at first, simply just create a whole new Excel Workbook) When you finished the editing, save it as a Tab Delimited .txt file again, then import it back into your CAT software, everything is good to go now.

I'm have t
... See more
This may sounds bad but it actually worked on my case.

You can try export your tbx file into a Tab Delimited .txt file, after that open it with Microsoft Excel, you can edit the terminologies directly on Excel then. (If you don't have a terminology database at first, simply just create a whole new Excel Workbook) When you finished the editing, save it as a Tab Delimited .txt file again, then import it back into your CAT software, everything is good to go now.

I'm have to admit this is not a good way, and Microsoft Excel is not a Free software either, unfortunately OpenOffice doesn't support this.

~C.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Rename as .xml Nov 21, 2011

Similar to what chrislau said:

Rename the .tbx file to .xml, and then open Excel (2007 or 2010), go to the Data tab, and select 'From other sources' -> 'From XML data import'.

I found this tip via http://www.vertalersplaza.nl/tips.html

'TBX format files are simply files that have been formatted in an XML type of format that was conveniently renamed... See more
Similar to what chrislau said:

Rename the .tbx file to .xml, and then open Excel (2007 or 2010), go to the Data tab, and select 'From other sources' -> 'From XML data import'.

I found this tip via http://www.vertalersplaza.nl/tips.html

'TBX format files are simply files that have been formatted in an XML type of format that was conveniently renamed to TBX. The TBX format is quite similar to standard XML and can therefore be imported quite easily into MS Excel. This is done by adding the file extension xml to the TBX file and then importing the file into Excel. MS Excel will automatically recognise the format and create an XML table before importing all data.'

Michael

[Edited at 2011-11-22 08:39 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 17:57
Japanese to English
Excel 2007, that is... Nov 22, 2011

Michael Beijer wrote:
Rename the .tbx file to .xml, and then open Excel, go to the Data tab, and select 'From other sources' -> 'From XML data import'.

You need to be more specific: this only works in Excel 2007 (or 2010?), there is no Data tab in Excel 2000/2003...In Excel 2007, yes, this works beautifully!(I just tried it)

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

MLG4035

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
it's now 2014 and there is still no TBX editor? Jul 11, 2014

So it’s 2014 now and the EU people have just released parts of the IATE database as a downloadable TBX and there is still no decent TBX editor. Anyone know of one? It's great that they are trying to comply with standards, but not if no one is using... See more
So it’s 2014 now and the EU people have just released parts of the IATE database as a downloadable TBX and there is still no decent TBX editor. Anyone know of one? It's great that they are trying to comply with standards, but not if no one is using them.

See:

http://iate.europa.eu/tbxPageDownload.do
http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/271879-part_of_the_iate_database_can_now_be_downloaded_as_a_massive_tbx.html

Michael
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
it's now 2017 and there is STILL no TBX editor! Jun 22, 2017

If you ask me, the format is dead, always was.

Has anyone found a decent TBX editor recently?

Standards are great, but not if no one uses them.

Michael

PS: Samuel started this thread in 2004. It is now 2017. That's 13 years to build one, and still no one has.

[Edited at 2017-06-22 07:31 GMT]

nisha078
nisha078
United States
Great post! Jun 22, 2017

Hey

Yes, I am looking for freeware TBX editor so that I can minimize my workload and do the work efficiently within given time limit.

I am using Windows 8 and Windows 7 both are working with it with Linux.

Thanks
Nisha Support
www.supportnumbers.net

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Anchovy and Logrus' Goldpan TMX/TBX Editor (v3.1) (two free TMX editors) Mar 1, 2018

Just found out that "Anchovy" by maxprograms is a TBX editor, and it's free.
It's included in the "Swordfish Translation Editor" download @ https://www.maxprograms.com/downloads/index.html
Am testing it now on a Memsource termbase exported as a TBX file.

Logrus’ new version of "Goldpan TMX/TBX Editor 3.1
... See more
Just found out that "Anchovy" by maxprograms is a TBX editor, and it's free.
It's included in the "Swordfish Translation Editor" download @ https://www.maxprograms.com/downloads/index.html
Am testing it now on a Memsource termbase exported as a TBX file.

Logrus’ new version of "Goldpan TMX/TBX Editor 3.1" can also edit TBXs!

https://logrusglobal.com/goldpan.html
https://slator.com/press-releases/feature-upgrade-logrus-global-releases-goldpan-tmx-tbx-editor-3-1/

I'm also currently testing the new Goldpan editor. I just emailed support, and they might be adding Memsource TBX support. In any case, this looks like a very interesting little TMX/TBX editor.

Michael
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for freeware TBX editor

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »