Diego Raigorodsky
Diego Raigorodsky  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:32
Hebrew to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 4, 2017

Hello, everyone!

I have always used Google translation API via GT4T in MemoQ translation software, but since the new NMT API has been incoporated to GT4T I have noticed that the translation is very different from what it used to be, and actually with much lower quality.

I have been experiencing elementary translation errors, that had never occured before, things like "They is" or "My two foot".

Does anyone here is having the same experience? Is it possible
... See more
Hello, everyone!

I have always used Google translation API via GT4T in MemoQ translation software, but since the new NMT API has been incoporated to GT4T I have noticed that the translation is very different from what it used to be, and actually with much lower quality.

I have been experiencing elementary translation errors, that had never occured before, things like "They is" or "My two foot".

Does anyone here is having the same experience? Is it possible to get back to the old API and therefore to improve the translation offered by the API?

Best Regards
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

The cost is 10x more too! Jul 4, 2017

I've just received my first bill for using the NMT for Thai-English and it said I've run around 1,950,000 characters through it this month for a total of $39! Previously API costs never exceeded $4-5.

The quality for Thai-English used to be completely atrocious. NMT has improved quite considerably (I was on the development team earlier this year), but the price has too!

I'll continue to use it for projects (like the one I'm on now) with unreasonable deadlines for massi
... See more
I've just received my first bill for using the NMT for Thai-English and it said I've run around 1,950,000 characters through it this month for a total of $39! Previously API costs never exceeded $4-5.

The quality for Thai-English used to be completely atrocious. NMT has improved quite considerably (I was on the development team earlier this year), but the price has too!

I'll continue to use it for projects (like the one I'm on now) with unreasonable deadlines for massive amounts of work but will switch it off when not required.

I use Wordfast Pro and you can choose the premium version separately, as shown here:

Screen_Shot_2017_07_04_at_10_38_08_am
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:32
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Why would you use GT4T instead of the built in Google Translate plugin in memoQ? Jul 4, 2017

mossadrai wrote:

Hello, everyone!

Does anyone here is having the same experience? Is it possible to get back to the old API and therefore to improve the translation offered by the API?

Best Regards

Just wondering though, why do you use GT4T, instead of the built in Google Translate plugin in memoQ?

Michael

PS: I use Google Translate (via the paid API) via the plugin in CafeTran these days, and the quality of the new neural engines has much improved for Dutch into English.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 16:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Old school Jul 4, 2017

I liked the old (non-NMT) version, warts and all. AFAIK, I'm still using it, unless they'd done a Microsoft on me and sneaked in the "upgrade"...

Diego Raigorodsky
Diego Raigorodsky  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:32
Hebrew to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
GT4T Jul 4, 2017

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Just wondering though, why do you use GT4T, instead of the built in Google Translate plugin in memoQ?

Michael

PS: I use Google Translate (via the paid API) via the plugin in CafeTran these days, and the quality of the new neural engines has much improved for Dutch into English.

Hello, Michael!

In GT4T I pay US$ 11 a month, no matter how many characters I translate. I think with the Google API directly connected to MemoQ I would have to pay much more, as seems to be the case with DJHartmann.

Also, from what I know, Google translation in MemoQ is shown as a result at the right side, in a list with all other suggestions of TM, Corpora, etc, and I have to insert the result everytime (each time the result being in a different list position). With GT4T all I have to do is press Alt + Ctrl + J and it already translates the source into the target field, without having to choose the results from the list. I don’t know if this is how MemoQ really works, but it is what I understood from their manual.

Here is what they say in (https://www.memoq.com/en/how-to-integrate-google-machine-translation-into-memoq): "You will get a purple Machine Translation match among your lookup results."

Neilmac, I think I also like the older version best. Do you still use it? How do you do to use it?

BEST!

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:32
English to Chinese
+ ...
PBMT with GT4T Jul 6, 2017

Hi mossadrai,

If you want to try the NMT with GT4T, you can go to the setup screen ->machine translation tab and choose 'PBMT' from the engine drop-down.

Another reason for using GT4T is perhaps it works everywhere, not just inside memoQ.

For me I am not too impressed by the NMT either. I can see its effort of trying to be smart though. Perhaps 'PBMT' ---Phrase Based MT---- works better with GT4T, as GT4T allows you to freely pick phrases from a sentence.
... See more
Hi mossadrai,

If you want to try the NMT with GT4T, you can go to the setup screen ->machine translation tab and choose 'PBMT' from the engine drop-down.

Another reason for using GT4T is perhaps it works everywhere, not just inside memoQ.

For me I am not too impressed by the NMT either. I can see its effort of trying to be smart though. Perhaps 'PBMT' ---Phrase Based MT---- works better with GT4T, as GT4T allows you to freely pick phrases from a sentence. When I first had the idea of creating GT4T, I want it to be a tool of mixed human/machine translation rather than machine translation + human editing.

Cheers,
Dallas
mossadrai wrote:

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Michael

Hello, Michael!

In GT4T I pay US$ 11 a month, no matter how many characters I translate. I think with the Google API directly connected to MemoQ I would have to pay much more, as seems to be the case with DJHartmann.

Also, from what I know, Google translation in MemoQ is shown as a result at the right side, in a list with all other suggestions of TM, Corpora, etc, and I have to insert the result everytime (each time the result being in a different list position). With GT4T all I have to do is press Alt + Ctrl + J and it already translates the source into the target field, without having to choose the results from the list. I don’t know if this is how MemoQ really works, but it is what I understood from their manual.

Here is what they say in (https://www.memoq.com/en/how-to-integrate-google-machine-translation-into-memoq): "You will get a purple Machine Translation match among your lookup results."

Neilmac, I think I also like the older version best. Do you still use it? How do you do to use it?

BEST!

Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:32
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Dallas, or any colleague who may know anything about this Aug 31, 2017

If a group of linguists are working in a network with MemoQ, everybody's user ID is visible in something like a chat room. If Linguist John Doe uses GT4T while working simultaneously with the other linguists, is everybody able to tell that he is using it?

Maybe it is also relevant to ask this question: Do you consider GT4T an MT tool or not? If not, it will not be a concern even if John Doe has been found to be using GT4T.

The point is that the client may not like his
... See more
If a group of linguists are working in a network with MemoQ, everybody's user ID is visible in something like a chat room. If Linguist John Doe uses GT4T while working simultaneously with the other linguists, is everybody able to tell that he is using it?

Maybe it is also relevant to ask this question: Do you consider GT4T an MT tool or not? If not, it will not be a concern even if John Doe has been found to be using GT4T.

The point is that the client may not like his using a MT tool even if it has not been didn't explicitly stated that an MT tool is prohibited.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

GT4T - Google API - NMT - Low quality translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »