Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:52
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
some more feedback (on ABBYY Aligner) Nov 13, 2015

Just did some more tests (aligning these Dutch/English terms & conditions: http://www.groenendijk.com/nl/over-ons/algemene-voorwaarden/ + http://www.groenendijk.com/en/about-us/terms-and-conditions/ ), and it seems that ABBYY Aligner can't handle the special... See more
Just did some more tests (aligning these Dutch/English terms & conditions: http://www.groenendijk.com/nl/over-ons/algemene-voorwaarden/ + http://www.groenendijk.com/en/about-us/terms-and-conditions/ ), and it seems that ABBYY Aligner can't handle the special characters in the Dutch, which makes me suspect it is not UTF-8 capable. Would need to test this further, as I may just be missing something.

Compare:

ABBYY Aligner:
"Deze algemene voorwaarden zijn van toepassing op alle overeenkomsten en rechtsverhoudingen tussen Groenendijk & Kloppenburg Advocaten, hierna te noemen: het Kantoor, en haar cliënten dan wel opdrachtgevers."

AlignFactory:
"Deze algemene voorwaarden zijn van toepassing op alle overeenkomsten en rechtsverhoudingen tussen Groenendijk & Kloppenburg Advocaten, hierna te noemen: het Kantoor, en haar cliënten dan wel opdrachtgevers."

ABBYY's UI and shortcuts are very nice though, compared to AlignFactory, which really needs to release an updated version of its Alignment Editor.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:52
Finnish to French
ABBYY & extended characters Nov 13, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
it seems that ABBYY Aligner can't handle the special characters in the Dutch, which makes me suspect it is not UTF-8 capable.

Hard to believe a program made by a Russian company wouldn’t handle extended characters. The character ë shouldn’t require Unicode anyway. What happens if you save the documents to align as plain text or as Word files?

Still waiting for ABBYY to get back to me, btw.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:52
English to Russian
Aligned -> Saved as tmx -> Opened tmx with Notepad Nov 13, 2015

Looks ok...

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks! Nov 13, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:

Looks ok...

Thanks! Will double check it later. It might just be an inability of the program's UI to display them correctly, but that they get exported correctly. Incidentally, did it display correctly in the program for you?

I aligned the .html files (simply grabbing them via Save as… in Chrome). Is that how you did it too?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
yeah, I found that a little strange too Nov 13, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
it seems that ABBYY Aligner can't handle the special characters in the Dutch, which makes me suspect it is not UTF-8 capable.

Hard to believe a program made by a Russian company wouldn’t handle extended characters. The character ë shouldn’t require Unicode anyway. What happens if you save the documents to align as plain text or as Word files?

Still waiting for ABBYY to get back to me, btw.

Nicolas Bianchi
Nicolas Bianchi  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 20:52
English to French
+ ...
Sorry for burying out an old thread... Aug 14, 2017

I just requested Abby Aligner and will test it.

As for Terminotix’s Align Factory light, I use it within LogiTerm Pro. It does a good job with basic documents, but as there is no option whatsoever to set segmentation rules, German dates (20. Januar) or legal references (Art. 56 Abs. 4 Lit. 3) leat to terrible segmentation, and often unuseable alignments.

Trados Studio Alignment: Batch alignment of files leads to many errors, as all documents with unconfirmed track cha
... See more
I just requested Abby Aligner and will test it.

As for Terminotix’s Align Factory light, I use it within LogiTerm Pro. It does a good job with basic documents, but as there is no option whatsoever to set segmentation rules, German dates (20. Januar) or legal references (Art. 56 Abs. 4 Lit. 3) leat to terrible segmentation, and often unuseable alignments.

Trados Studio Alignment: Batch alignment of files leads to many errors, as all documents with unconfirmed track changes (or activated track changes) are excluded. And when aligning 700 files, there can be many of them... The alignment is of good quality, as segmentation rules can be applied. But the alignment editor is terribly messy.

memoQ LiveDocs Corpus: Processes everything, few error messages, good alignment, nice alignment editor... My tool of choice when aligning a multitude of bilingual pairs of docs.
I simply need to figure out how to make a TM out of these corpusses... Not very intuitive.
Collapse

Nicolas Bianchi
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
Only way through mqxlz? Aug 15, 2017

Except if I missed it, there’s no way to easily import a whole mQ Corpus into a mQ TM.

Each aligned pair of documents can be opened individually and then sent to TM in one click, but when the corpus counts a few hundreds of documents, this is not doable.

If someone knows an easier way than the one I use, please don’t hesitate.

1) Export the whole corpus into a .zip
2) Unzip to reveal all aligned pairs as .mqxlz
3) Create a mQ project and imp
... See more
Except if I missed it, there’s no way to easily import a whole mQ Corpus into a mQ TM.

Each aligned pair of documents can be opened individually and then sent to TM in one click, but when the corpus counts a few hundreds of documents, this is not doable.

If someone knows an easier way than the one I use, please don’t hesitate.

1) Export the whole corpus into a .zip
2) Unzip to reveal all aligned pairs as .mqxlz
3) Create a mQ project and import all these .mqxlz files, specifying the .xliff filter when import fails (weird is: mQ doesn’t recognize directly its own format...)
4) Attach a TM to the project
5) Create a single view with all these files
6) Open all files simultaneously (mQ is surprisingly fast!)
7) Select all segments and confirm them

This sends everything into the specified TM, allowing the whole corpus to be exported as TMX and used in other CAT tools.

[Edited at 2017-08-15 01:32 GMT]
Collapse

Nicolas Bianchi
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
All good Sep 15, 2017

I will reply to my own comment:

When creating al LD corpus within a project in mQ, it’s easy to send hundreds of docs at once to the attached TM.

As for Abbyy aligner: I simply wanted to test it, but to get a version, I have to spend a couple of hours filling out the SmartCAT profile...

Sorry, but not for me.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting from LiveDocs corpus

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »