How to activate special character "ligature" like "oeuf" in French in target text ?
论题张贴者: nordiste

nordiste  Identity Verified
法国
Local time: 01:15
English英语译成French法语
+ ...
May 8

I translate into French.
I need a special character which is not on the keyword: it is call "ligature" and it is a fusion of 2 characters, o + e in some specific words, as in "œuf" or "bœuf" (egg or beef).
When I type in Word (French version), as soon as the word "oeuf" is completed the MS software activates the fusion and replaces the 2 distinct oe by the ligature " œ ".

Is there a way to program a rule somewhere in memoQ with a list of words using this ligature to have an automated conversion/fusion?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
德国
Local time: 01:15
正式会员 (自2014)
French法语译成Danish丹麦语
+ ...
Use Alt codes May 8

On Windows you use Alt codes.

œ = Alt + 0156
Π= Alt + 0140


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
西班牙
Local time: 01:15
正式会员 (自2005)
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
A termbase entry? May 8

For words and phrases I find cumbersome to type in my translations into Spanish, I simply add a termbase entry with the target translation, so that the memoQ's predictive typing feature helps you insert the word. You can also use Ctrl and the number of the term in the translation results list to enter the term easily.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Adrien Esparron
法国
Local time: 01:15
正式会员 (自2007)
German德语译成French法语
+ ...
ASCII code or a customized keyboard May 8

nordiste wrote:

Is there a way to program a rule somewhere in memoQ with a list of words using this ligature to have an automated conversion/fusion?



I don't know in MemoQ, but it could be interesting to consider the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, with an excellent Tuto, here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Gai7gRb5k&feature=youtu.be

You can apply this demonstration to any other character you need. Useful not only in a CAT tool.

Enjoy!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
JL01  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 19:15
English英语译成French法语
+ ...
Spell checker?? May 8

Doesn't MemoQ spell checker suggest the correction, like Word's own spell checker, at least?


nordiste wrote:

Is there a way to program a rule somewhere in memoQ with a list of words using this ligature to have an automated conversion/fusion?



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Catherine De Crignis  Identity Verified
法国
Local time: 01:15
正式会员 (自2012)
English英语译成French法语
+ ...
Spellchecker Jun 19

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

For words and phrases I find cumbersome to type in my translations into Spanish, I simply add a termbase entry with the target translation, so that the memoQ's predictive typing feature helps you insert the word. You can also use Ctrl and the number of the term in the translation results list to enter the term easily.



So do I, Tomás. I even enter easy-to-type but very common words.
Trouble with "œuf" is that the first letter can’t be typed as such, so it doesn’t get recognised by the predictive typing feature. I simply type "oeuf" and let the spellchecker do its work.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

John Fossey  Identity Verified
加拿大
Local time: 19:15
正式会员 (自2008)
French法语译成English英语
International keyboard Jun 19

On my US-international keyboard, it's Ctrl+Shift+& then o = œ

However, strangely, although this is a Windows shortcut, it works in some programs but not others.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
希腊
Local time: 02:15
正式会员 (自2008)
English英语译成Greek希腊语
+ ...
Assign a symbol shortcut in memoQ Jun 20

When editing your document, do the following:

  1. Go to the Edit ribbon tab.

  2. In the Special Characters group, click on Frequent Symbols to reveal a menu.

  3. On this menu, click Customize Symbol Shortcuts.

  4. Pick the character you want from the character map, assign the shortcut you want and click Save.


I hope this helps.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
西班牙
Local time: 01:15
正式会员 (自2005)
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
Ooops Jun 20

Catherine De Crignis wrote:
Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
For words and phrases I find cumbersome to type in my translations into Spanish, I simply add a termbase entry with the target translation, so that the memoQ's predictive typing feature helps you insert the word. You can also use Ctrl and the number of the term in the translation results list to enter the term easily.

So do I, Tomás. I even enter easy-to-type but very common words.
Trouble with "œuf" is that the first letter can’t be typed as such, so it doesn’t get recognised by the predictive typing feature.

Oh, you are absolutely right! I hadn't thought of that. However, selecting the termbase entry by the normal Ctrl+ or double-clicking does the job.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to activate special character "ligature" like "oeuf" in French in target text ?

Advanced search






Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • 术语搜索
  • 工作
  • 论坛
  • Multiple search