Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:18
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 29, 2016

The old familiar (Sgt.) Angela Maness is back. Only this time, s/he uses a new email address.

This morning I found this - in my opinion - highly disrespectful and extremely brief email:

"From: Angela Maness [email protected]

Are you available? As i have something i need to discuss with you "

No address, no greeting, no info whatsoever.

So beware of her/him and her/h
... See more
The old familiar (Sgt.) Angela Maness is back. Only this time, s/he uses a new email address.

This morning I found this - in my opinion - highly disrespectful and extremely brief email:

"From: Angela Maness [email protected]

Are you available? As i have something i need to discuss with you "

No address, no greeting, no info whatsoever.

So beware of her/him and her/his new email address.
Collapse

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:18
English to German
Thank you Nov 29, 2016

for letting us know.

In recent weeks I have been approached via Skype in this manner (are you available now!) by two what appeared to be companies, but I could not pin them down to a certain website.

One of them discussed rates, and then asked a few times whether I was available NOW via Skype. I asked repeatedly for an e-mail including the text and any instructions, also some identification, e.g. website, but I heard no more from them... not sure what to make of that e
... See more
for letting us know.

In recent weeks I have been approached via Skype in this manner (are you available now!) by two what appeared to be companies, but I could not pin them down to a certain website.

One of them discussed rates, and then asked a few times whether I was available NOW via Skype. I asked repeatedly for an e-mail including the text and any instructions, also some identification, e.g. website, but I heard no more from them... not sure what to make of that either.
Collapse

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No website - a possible scam? Nov 29, 2016

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

One of them discussed rates, and then asked a few times whether I was available NOW via Skype. I asked repeatedly for an e-mail including the text and any instructions, also some identification, e.g. website, but I heard no more from them... not sure what to make of that either.

If they don't react, then just block them. No legitimate agency - or even first-time end customer - would just break off when you start asking for detailed information. And nobody - who knows at least a little about our profession - would even dream of just "popping up" and expecting you to immediately be available. Only scammers can be that ignorant and/or careless.

Skype has seemingly become more and more of a "playground" for scammers or "weirdos" in the past year or so.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:18
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Call me old-fashioned, but Nov 29, 2016

I still don't use Skype and even don't have an account.

I know it's useful (that's what I hear) but I don't like my time taken up talking to people (especially first-timers) on Skype.

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
;) Nov 29, 2016

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

I still don't use Skype and even don't have an account.

I know it's useful (that's what I hear) but I don't like my time taken up talking to people (especially first-timers) on Skype.

Each to his own.

However, to avoid being disturbed or talking with others, Skype provides the online status settings. The best one is "invisible". This way nobody knows whether your really off-line or not. And when you'r really busy, then hit "Quit" and nothing can disturb you.

On the other hand, when you're in contact with people (business, colleagues, friends, family) from around the globe, it comes on handy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Old scam, new email address

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »