Import TM into another TM – but with added field (Trados 2017)
Thread poster: David Sch
David Sch
David Sch
Ecuador
Local time: 03:49
Dutch to German
Jun 22, 2017

Dear friends,

I want to import a TM into my main TM. However, I want to add a field to each imported translation unit (e.g. “Source: Align”), so that I can later still know the origin of these units. I haven’t found a way to do this. Does anybody know the solution?

Thanks

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:49
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apply Field Values Jun 22, 2017

The import wizard has an Apply Field Values option under General Import Options. Studio's help explains what this is:

Apply Field Values
If the translation memory you are importing into has custom fields, you can specify what values should be placed in these fields for the imported translation units.
Click Edit to display the Field Values dialog box. For each field, specify or select a value and click OK.

David Sch
David Sch
Ecuador
Dutch to German
TOPIC STARTER
only for already existing fields Jun 22, 2017

Thanks you, Nora. I have seen this option, but there, I can only choose from the already existing fields. I cannot create a new field.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:49
English to Russian
Change user ID Jun 22, 2017

If all segments in your 'a TM' have only one user id, you can export that TM into a tmx and open it with Notepad.
Replace all "My-user-id" (whatever it is) with "ALIGN" for example. Save the tmx file and import it to your main TM. The user id will be ALIGN for all segments from that TM.

David Sch
David Sch
Ecuador
Dutch to German
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea Jun 22, 2017

This is a great idea, thank you! I will check it out immediately.

David Sch
David Sch
Ecuador
Dutch to German
TOPIC STARTER
Worked Jun 22, 2017

It worked, thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import TM into another TM – but with added field (Trados 2017)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »