Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:06
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yes and no Jun 23, 2017

David GAY wrote:
These diplomas and online private courses are cash machines for those who organize them.
But I'm not sure it's the same story for students. Education has become a very lucrative business.

With proper research, you should be able to apply for a quality preparation course. I took an 8-month course to sit my DPSI Law exam and could never have passed it without that wealth of information and hard work.

On another note and for the benefit of the OP: Preston, please note that the ITI does not offer qualifications to translators.

[Edited at 2017-06-23 08:30 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
ITI? Who's talking about the ITI? Jun 23, 2017

DCM Linguistics wrote:
On another note and for the benefit of the OP: Dan, please kindly stop promoting the false information that the ITI offers qualifications to translators.

Please point me to the post in which I mentioned the ITI, because I have no recollection of mentioning it in any of my posts recently, let alone on this thread.

Regards,
Dan

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oh my, it wasn't you? Jun 23, 2017

Dan Lucas wrote:

DCM Linguistics wrote:
On another note and for the benefit of the OP: Dan, please kindly stop promoting the false information that the ITI offers qualifications to translators.

Please point me to the post in which I mentioned the ITI, because I have no recollection of mentioning it in any of my posts recently, let alone on this thread.

What a surprise, I am pleased it wasn't you, Dan. It was Preston this time. I do apologise. It just irks me when qualified professionals spread misinformation. I will edit my post!

Sharon James
Sharon James
Australia
Advice Feb 1, 2018

The first thing I tell people who want to know how to become a translator is to get some sort of accreditation or certification. Having credentials provides documentation that you have the skills required to translate or interpret professionally. Many universities offer advanced degrees and professional certifications in translation.
Another resume builder is to take language proficiency tests such as the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) or other language proficiency tests to show
... See more
The first thing I tell people who want to know how to become a translator is to get some sort of accreditation or certification. Having credentials provides documentation that you have the skills required to translate or interpret professionally. Many universities offer advanced degrees and professional certifications in translation.
Another resume builder is to take language proficiency tests such as the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) or other language proficiency tests to show potential clients that you are indeed fluent in your specific language.
The next step is to gain experience. All of us have had to start out doing internships or working entry-level jobs in order to climb the ladder, and the language industry is no exception. If you’re enrolled at or live near a college, take classes in translation / interpreting and look for opportunities to perform translation or interpreting work on campus for various departments.
After getting credentials and some experience, it’s time to market yourself to law firms, police stations, hospitals, government agencies, and language agencies that may need translators or interpreters in your area.

Good luck

----------
Sharon James
Professional Medical Translator Online
https://medtrans.com.au/
Collapse

Emal Ghamsharick
Emal Ghamsharick  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:06
English to German
+ ...
No easy money Feb 3, 2018

Don't make the mistake of thinking this is easy money. As with anything, it can easily take 2-3 years until you can earn a full-time income for your overtime work.

Most of the material that pays the bills is not horribly exciting. You get paid for work you do fast and well and which no one else wants to do. No one's gonna pay you to try out new stuff. Eventually any learning activity will become an "avoidable expense" and you'll get stuck doing the same thing over and over again.... See more
Don't make the mistake of thinking this is easy money. As with anything, it can easily take 2-3 years until you can earn a full-time income for your overtime work.

Most of the material that pays the bills is not horribly exciting. You get paid for work you do fast and well and which no one else wants to do. No one's gonna pay you to try out new stuff. Eventually any learning activity will become an "avoidable expense" and you'll get stuck doing the same thing over and over again.

So instead of looking for an easy income, look for something you enjoy doing, even if you suck at it right now. Also work with people. Muhammad Ali once said: "I don't miss boxing. I miss the money."

I got my first credentials almost 8 years into this job. I have been doing this job most of my working life, mostly out of convenience. So my basic university education was enough to get started.

You can get to a point where you don't have to do this 8 hours a day and have lots of time for other stuff, that's a benefit. You shouldn't spend more than 3 hours per day alone, it just makes you weird.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Advice for career change

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »