WFP5 - Sharing TMs same LAN not working!
Thread poster: Lais Lewicki
Lais Lewicki
Lais Lewicki
Brazil
Local time: 02:26
English to Portuguese
Jun 19, 2017

Hi!

I'm trying to share a TM with a colleague on the same LAN network.

I'm using this procedure:

"Sharing Wordfast Pro TM via LAN or DropBox
This method is useful for sharing TMs between a small group of freelancers:
1- If you and your colleagues are on a LAN, you can put all the TMs on a Map Network Drive. If you rather on different locations, you can use shared DropBox folders instead.
2- In Wordfast Pro > Translation Memory menu > New/S
... See more
Hi!

I'm trying to share a TM with a colleague on the same LAN network.

I'm using this procedure:

"Sharing Wordfast Pro TM via LAN or DropBox
This method is useful for sharing TMs between a small group of freelancers:
1- If you and your colleagues are on a LAN, you can put all the TMs on a Map Network Drive. If you rather on different locations, you can use shared DropBox folders instead.
2- In Wordfast Pro > Translation Memory menu > New/Select TM, add the TMs, and mark other's TMs as "Selected" + "Read Only".
3- Mark your own TM as "Selected".
That is to say, each user will have a writeable TM file, but all other users have (read-only) access to all TM files of other team members."

However, despite the fact that I am using my colleague's TM as read-only, I'm still getting the error: "TM is exclusively locked for administrative use". I tried closing WFP5 in both computers and opening it up again. I've set it up just as ordered, but the second computer does not have access to the TMs...

How may I solve this? What other solutions could I try in this case? We've tried Wordfast Anywhere for a while, but it hasn't worked out very well for us.
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
OS/software/settings/policies Jun 19, 2017

The same OS? Then it may have something to do with a specific firewall/share settings; what about accessing other net-mapped files via a shared network?

Meanwhile, using VPN agents such as Hamachi, Tungle, LanGame, GameRanger, Comodo Unite, and many others, one mustn't be in the same LAN, locus, or country)

[Edited at 2017-06-19 22:31 GMT]

Lais Lewicki
Lais Lewicki
Brazil
Local time: 02:26
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
RE: OS/settings Jun 20, 2017

DZiW wrote:

The same OS? Then it may have something to do with a specific firewall/share settings; what about accessing other net-mapped files via a shared network?

Meanwhile, using VPN agents such as Hamachi, Tungle, LanGame, GameRanger, Comodo Unite, and many others, one mustn't be in the same LAN, locus, or country)

[Edited at 2017-06-19 22:31 GMT]

We use the same OS and the same settings, firewall, etc. We are able to share other files, so I don't think our issue is with the LAN network.

It seems to me that it is a problem with the software. The first person to open WFP5 is able to access the TMs without restrictions, the second one gets the error message. Despite the fact that I set it up so we are not using the same TMs to translate, mine is set as read-only in the second computer and the TM of the second computer is set as read-only in my computer.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:26
English to French
+ ...
An issue for the software help line Jun 20, 2017

Have you tried Wordfast Hotline? This is a software issue.

Lais Lewicki wrote:

We use the same OS and the same settings, firewall, etc. We are able to share other files, so I don't think our issue is with the LAN network.

It seems to me that it is a problem with the software. The first person to open WFP5 is able to access the TMs without restrictions, the second one gets the error message. Despite the fact that I set it up so we are not using the same TMs to translate, mine is set as read-only in the second computer and the TM of the second computer is set as read-only in my computer.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
wordfast.COM / wordfast.NET Jun 20, 2017

Indeed, if everything else works fine and it's not a "blank password" issue or file access restrictions, then it's high time to contact the vendor.

Cheers

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:26
Member (2006)
French to English
Use Wordfast Server to share TMs and glossaries Jun 21, 2017

Hello Lais,

Sharing TMs like this is not supported by Wordfast Pro 5. Users were able to do this successfully with Wordfast Pro 3 to a certain extent until TMs got too big.
Wordfast Server is an enterprise solution that should be used for sharing TMs and glossaries: http://wordfast.com/products/products_wordfast_server

Kind regards,

John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFP5 - Sharing TMs same LAN not working!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »