Off topic: Help! I'm trying to be funny in a dead language! (Latin advice, anyone?)
Thread poster: crichtfort
crichtfort
crichtfort
English
Aug 13, 2006

Short version:

I'm trying to do a playful variant on the Latin "Citius, Altius, Fortius" ("Swifter, Higher, Stronger"--the motto of the Olympic Games.)

My goal is to change it (as correctly as possible) to "Swifter, Smarter, Sillier"). Can anyone help with this?

My research (and a little blind guesswork) thus far has gotten me "Citius, Sagacius, Infrunitius". How close am I?

Citius (directly cribbed from the original)

... See more
Short version:

I'm trying to do a playful variant on the Latin "Citius, Altius, Fortius" ("Swifter, Higher, Stronger"--the motto of the Olympic Games.)

My goal is to change it (as correctly as possible) to "Swifter, Smarter, Sillier"). Can anyone help with this?

My research (and a little blind guesswork) thus far has gotten me "Citius, Sagacius, Infrunitius". How close am I?

Citius (directly cribbed from the original)

Sagacius (arguably "wiser"... acceptable, but I'm willing to consider other recommendations. I might even have this one in the right declension.)

Infrunitius is a bit of a guess. I found a reference of infrunitus as silly... but have to admit that changing it to the comparitive "sillier" has more to do with making all my endings rhyme than ANY recollection of my high school Latin.

(I just found ProZ.com on this little quest...so if I'm transgressing some forum etiquette or posting in the wrong area, I apologize and ask you to set me straight.)

Thank you!
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 22:32
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
sapientius, stultius Aug 13, 2006

that's closer for the last two... or brutius ...

Vale et salve

smo

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:32
English to Italian
+ ...
try the English-Latin Kudoz section Aug 13, 2006

Hi crichtfort,
you can try the kudoz section
Click on "ask question" (http://www.proz.com/?sp=k2 ), select the language combination (click on "see more languages" if necessary), select further detail fields and provide full context just as you have posted in this forum.

You will certainly be able to find some excellent help!

Ciao, Daniela (who knows absolutely no Latin)... See more
Hi crichtfort,
you can try the kudoz section
Click on "ask question" (http://www.proz.com/?sp=k2 ), select the language combination (click on "see more languages" if necessary), select further detail fields and provide full context just as you have posted in this forum.

You will certainly be able to find some excellent help!

Ciao, Daniela (who knows absolutely no Latin)

Collapse

Refugio
Refugio
Local time: 13:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
In my father's day Aug 13, 2006

They used to repeat a little sophomoric rhyme:

Latin is a language,
At least it used to be.
First it killed the Romans,
And now it's killing me.

Will Matter
Will Matter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:32
English
+ ...
KudoZ Aug 13, 2006

Asking this in KudoZ is what I would've suggested also.

crichtfort
crichtfort
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for all your input... Aug 13, 2006

I've thrown the question out to KudoZ.

I think "smo" is on the right track with "Sapientius" for "Smarter".

I'm pondering "Stultius" and "Brutius"...my concern being that they imply stupidity or foolishness...with negative connotations. I'm looking for "Silly" in a fun, whimsical vein.

But I'm far ahead of where I was, and quite grateful!

Thank you all!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! I'm trying to be funny in a dead language! (Latin advice, anyone?)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »