Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Recommended hardware requirements for a MacBook to virtualize Windows and work with SDL Trados
Thread poster: Emanuele Vacca
Emanuele Vacca
Emanuele Vacca  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:19
Member (2020)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you + a few questions and comments Sep 13, 2020

Thank you for your valuable advice, Lucia! I have just a few questions and comments.

Lucia Messuti wrote:
I've been using MacBook Pro with 16 GB for 4 years and I'm satisfied. Everything is better than going back to windows.

Could you provide your Mac's technical specifications? Also, I understood that you regularly use Trados and MemoQ on your virtual machine. Is this correct? If yes, are they fast enough and/or do you have any issues?

Lucia Messuti wrote:
I understand that you need to buy windows and office to run Trados or MemoQ on Parallels.

Do you mean that in order to run Trados (or use some of its features) you need to buy Office on the Windows virtual machine? I would rather use Office on macOS.

Lucia Messuti wrote:
I still don't understand why they aren't creating a version for Mac users, as now there are much more translators using it.

This is a mystery to me as well. I guess it would be a huge software development (read: financial) effort.

Lucia Messuti wrote:
Before buying one of them, give a look at all CATs and watch videos (there are many in their websites or online) to see which one is better for you and do the one-month trial. Also the layout is important, as it is the tool you'll work with for many hours per day.

You are absolutely right; I should probably stop thinking that having Trados is dogma and adopt a more open-minded approach. Even if I end up deciding to buy a certain CAT tool, no one will force me to use it forever, right?

Lucia Messuti wrote:
Good luck and welcome in the translators world!

Thank you very much!

[Edited at 2020-09-13 09:43 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommended hardware requirements for a MacBook to virtualize Windows and work with SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »