Jagoda W.
Jagoda W.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:47
Polish to English
+ ...
Oct 6, 2017

Dear colleagues,

I was recently approached by a big telephone interpreting company to perform video interpreting for them, as a form of our cooperation. I have been doing telephone and remote interpreting for this company for some time and I'm happy with the cooperation so far.

With regards to VRI, they are not asking whether or not I'm interested - they state it as a matter of fact occurrence, while instructing me to purchase equipment suitable to performing the job.
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I was recently approached by a big telephone interpreting company to perform video interpreting for them, as a form of our cooperation. I have been doing telephone and remote interpreting for this company for some time and I'm happy with the cooperation so far.

With regards to VRI, they are not asking whether or not I'm interested - they state it as a matter of fact occurrence, while instructing me to purchase equipment suitable to performing the job.

They don't mention the rates either.

My question is whether, in the industry, VRI rates differ from regular phone and remote interpreting rates?

Does anybody have the experience around VRI which you would like to share?

Thank you
Collapse

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:47
Spanish to French
+ ...
Who's the one offering the service? Oct 6, 2017

Shouldn't you be the one to state your rates? Or do you go to the doctor telling him what you're going to pay him for the visit?

Or am I missing something?

Jagoda W.
Jagoda W.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:47
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It depends on the agency Oct 6, 2017

Hi Christophe,

I completely see your point and yes, in an ideal world that's how it should be! Being relatively new to the business, so far I have come across agencies who state how much they pay for a particular type of job. I don't see it as something unheard of in UK or USA. VRI is more niche than other types of interpreting, so I'm keen to gather as much info as possible

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VRI rates vs telephone interpreting rates

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »