United Kingdom
Local time: 09:04
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Graceless Jan 23, 2019

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

nonsense

You really do need new glasses. Read my previous posts and PAY ATTENTION. I will no longer be replying to any posts here. Emails alerting me to them will be trashed automatically without me seeing them.

I do find this childish flaming very inappropriate in a forum for professionals. If you want to troll/flame, take it to Twitter.

[Edited at 2019-01-23 12:55 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Feeling is mutual... Jan 23, 2019

You are one of the rudest people I have ever met on a public forum. Goodbye.

Christopher Schröder
Gina Centanni
Vesa Korhonen

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Woah Jan 23, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

nonsense

You really do need new glasses. Read my previous posts and PAY ATTENTION. I will no longer be replying to any posts here. Emails alerting me to them will be trashed automatically without me seeing them.

I do find this childish flaming very inappropriate in a forum for professionals. If you want to troll/flame, take it to Twitter.

Tom, you have seriously overstepped the mark here.

Nothing offensive was said.

So what is the difference between a framework agreement and a contract?

Gina Centanni
Barbara Carrara
Robert Carter

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
No reply Jan 23, 2019

Chris S wrote:

Tom, you have seriously overstepped the mark here.

Nothing offensive was said.

So what is the difference between a framework agreement and a contract?

He's turned the email notifications, so he won't be visiting this thread again... or maybe he will...

Christopher Schröder

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
The Framework Agreement explained Jan 23, 2019

A Framework Agreement is basically a mutual assertion by two or more parties that they are perfectly capable of drawing up future agreements. Which may seem pointless, granted, but C-suites worldwide, institutions, politicians and governments gleefully rush to use the term as a means of enhancing the meaningless blurb 'n' blaargh they churn out endlessly for the likes of us to translate.

For example, one party, whom we could call "Tom", say, totally at random, could draw up a Fra
... See more
A Framework Agreement is basically a mutual assertion by two or more parties that they are perfectly capable of drawing up future agreements. Which may seem pointless, granted, but C-suites worldwide, institutions, politicians and governments gleefully rush to use the term as a means of enhancing the meaningless blurb 'n' blaargh they churn out endlessly for the likes of us to translate.

For example, one party, whom we could call "Tom", say, totally at random, could draw up a Framework Agreement with another party, whom for the sake of argument we'll call "Giovanni", acknowledging that, although there is no guarantee they will see eye to eye on each and every issue they discuss, they are bound to agree on at least one or more in the foreseeable future. So Tom and Giovanni could easily draw up an FA, as it's sometimes known for short.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Mervyn Jan 23, 2019

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
Sweet FA

Welcome back

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
FA Jan 23, 2019

Who's the sharpest tool in the box this afternoon then, Chris? Good one!

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nonsense? Jan 24, 2019

[quote]Tom in London wrote:

nonsense

Where did this 'quoted' post come from, given that there is no trace of this in previous posts from Giovanni?
Have I missed something here?

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
lol Jan 24, 2019

[quote]Barbara Carrara wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

nonsense

Where did this 'quoted' post come from, given that there is no trace of this in previous posts from Giovanni?

It's Chris's creative editing...

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
X or T? Jan 24, 2019

[quote]Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

nonsense

It's Chris's creative editing...

Did you mean Tom's?
Apperò!

Colleen Roach, PhD
Colleen Roach, PhD  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:04
French to English
+ ...
No war... Jan 24, 2019

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

nonsense

It's Chris's creative editing... icon_smile.gif

Me: Regarding the case of the "missing quoted post," I didn't see it either & just assumed that something got a littl
... See more
Barbara Carrara wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

nonsense

It's Chris's creative editing... icon_smile.gif

Me: Regarding the case of the "missing quoted post," I didn't see it either & just assumed that something got a little-out-of-hand & the moderator deleted it. But doesn't that show up as such?

Oh please, don't let battles break out on this forum! I like it for the civility, camaraderie, and a general sense that people here genuinely like helping each other out.

On another forum I occasionally participate in, recently a moderator had to shut down a thread because, as he wryly put it: war was about to break out...

[Edited at 2019-01-24 16:42 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
British tradition Jan 24, 2019

Colleen Roach, PhD wrote:

Oh please, don't let battles break out on this forum! I like it for the civility, camaraderie, and a general sense that people here genuinely like helping each other out.

This is nothing next to Question Time in the House of Commons, a sort of reality TV show where the winner is the one who managed to shout the most eloquent insults at their opponent while addressing them as 'the Right Honourable Member'. It's also a good British tradition to insult each other while accusing the French of being rude.

All we need now is a Bercow clone to shout 'Orderrr!'

Colleen Roach, PhD
Colleen Roach, PhD  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:04
French to English
+ ...
The American tradition Jan 24, 2019

Thomas wrote: "It's also a good British tradition to insult each other while accusing the French of being rude."

The American tradition of dealing with someone you disagree with is to shoot them -- although that hasn't YET happened in the august setting of the U.S. congress. But more and more members of congress have been attacked --often seriously and in life-threatening ways. The bodyguard profession is flourishing right now...

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:04
German to English
+ ...
I wouldn't sign it for a number of reasons Jan 25, 2019

For one thing, I don't like the idea of customers determining things like this, alone because customers do not have the expertise in my profession, and it is not the role of customers. However, I do have a policy that if I make a serious error, esp. one that causes problems in some way (hasn't happened), I would apply a discount on my side. This is what I see happening when I am a customer receiving a service.

Perhaps they are not used to working with professionals.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:04
German to English
+ ...
one suspicion I had, confirmed maybe Jan 25, 2019

Here:
Tom in London wrote:

There's always an element of risk with any new client, especially this one, which according to the Blue Board is a very late payer.

............. but since they had already complained about my rate (which has not increased for 7 years!!)

Their explanation about this clause was as a protection against translators who do such a bad job that revisors will refuse to do the revision.

I will sometimes get contacted by a company that then has a gazillion rules and instructions, including such things as "check your work for spelling before submitting it" - as though they were used to working with amateurs or trainees. The next usually is that I am too expensive (by far) and that is the end of the story. In other words, they cannot get many quality translators, therefore they have to protect themselves due to the type of service they tend to get, therefore they have to bring in protective measures. I suspected something like that, and what I quoted seems to confirm it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Definition of "errors" in a framework agreement

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »