Is it normal to be asked to add your ID or Passport number in the application form?
Thread poster: Dalia Nour
Dalia Nour
Dalia Nour  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 13:50
Member (2018)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jan 24, 2019

Hello,

One of the companies which offers me collaboration asked the ID or passport number in the application. Actually, I don't know if this is normal or not. What I know that such kind of info could be required after starting work or after your joining to the company. Is my information concerning that right or wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Dalia

William Tierney
William Tierney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:50
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
ID Verification Jan 24, 2019

I was asked for this information also, possibly from the same agency. They stated that they have to verify identification because of the number of scammers out there. There are a lot of scammers, so this is reasonable. I provided a copy of my driver's license and this satisfied them. I provide it to other companies, so I don't see a problem.

In the U.S., a person in business can get a Tax ID so they don't have to give their social security number, which can lead to identity th
... See more
I was asked for this information also, possibly from the same agency. They stated that they have to verify identification because of the number of scammers out there. There are a lot of scammers, so this is reasonable. I provided a copy of my driver's license and this satisfied them. I provide it to other companies, so I don't see a problem.

In the U.S., a person in business can get a Tax ID so they don't have to give their social security number, which can lead to identity theft. If the Egyptian government has something similar that can be independently verified (Commercial Registrations, etc.) this might work to prove your identity.
Collapse

Dalia Nour

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:50
English to German
+ ...
No guarantee to prevent scammers from scamming Jan 25, 2019

I wouldn't provide my ID Card number. If someone wants to scam them, they might as well have s passport for that purpose. Whereas, my identity might be abused for exactly such purposes. Who tells me this agency itself is guineuine if they ask me for such a prove?

William Tierney
Josephine Cassar
Dalia Nour

William Tierney
William Tierney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:50
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
Independent Verification Jan 25, 2019

Eva Stoppa wrote:

I wouldn't provide my ID Card number. If someone wants to scam them, they might as well have s passport for that purpose. Whereas, my identity might be abused for exactly such purposes. Who tells me this agency itself is guineuine if they ask me for such a prove?

To Eva's point, have you verified their identity? Ask them for their commercial registration, business license, etc. Something that can be independently verified.

Dalia Nour

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You tell us... Jan 25, 2019

Dalia Abdul Haleem wrote:
One of the companies which offers me collaboration asked the ID or passport number in the application. Actually, I don't know if this is normal or not.

It is normal in some countries. Would it be normal in Egypt for you to provide your ID number or passport number when you register for e.g. library membership? Or, have you ever had to provide your ID number or passport number in Egypt when you bought something at a store? If not, then you should tell the client that it is not normal for Egyptians to provide this sort of information.

Dalia Nour

Dalia Nour
Dalia Nour  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 13:50
Member (2018)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Jan 25, 2019

Actually, I'm going to ask them about their commercial registration or their business license. I like this idea!

Concerning, If I use the ID number to register in a library membership (for example), yes, I do.

In general, this kind of verification is asked after completing the application, doing the test, and as being accepted you have to provide them with such info to be registered as one of the team members. I am just confused because this is the first step not the l
... See more
Actually, I'm going to ask them about their commercial registration or their business license. I like this idea!

Concerning, If I use the ID number to register in a library membership (for example), yes, I do.

In general, this kind of verification is asked after completing the application, doing the test, and as being accepted you have to provide them with such info to be registered as one of the team members. I am just confused because this is the first step not the last one as usual!

Thank you so much again for your help,
Dalia bdul Haleem
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it normal to be asked to add your ID or Passport number in the application form?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »