Thread poster: Gerard Barry
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Fact is Oct 22, 2020

Fact is... when men and women work together there's the work, and there's also male/female chemistry. Some people can't deal with the chemistry. But it's the chemistry that makes the work, and the workplace, better. I'm biased, I suppose, because ever since I was 5 and started going to school I have always done everything side by side with the opposite sex, all the way through primary and secondary education, university, and the world of work, where I have always worked side by side with the opp... See more
Fact is... when men and women work together there's the work, and there's also male/female chemistry. Some people can't deal with the chemistry. But it's the chemistry that makes the work, and the workplace, better. I'm biased, I suppose, because ever since I was 5 and started going to school I have always done everything side by side with the opposite sex, all the way through primary and secondary education, university, and the world of work, where I have always worked side by side with the opposite sex. It's what I'm used to. In the case of people who can't deal with it, I suspect they were educated separately from the opposite sex and for that reason they peek at the opposite sex from behind a (metaphorical) curtain, with suspicion.

[Edited at 2020-10-22 15:02 GMT]
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Christopher Schröder
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
expressisverbis
Becca Resnik
P.L.F. Persio
Sheila Wilson

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:35
English to Arabic
+ ...
It is the wild out there :) Oct 22, 2020

It helps to throw few other elks in the way, in a bid to distract the pack of tigresses from oneself

Women are nice, but they don't play fair.

They are more observant, and more critical.

"His antlers have no hair, he's definitely balding!", "His chin is not pointing to the right direction at all!", "Have you seen those ridiculous hooves he wore to work today?"...
See more
It helps to throw few other elks in the way, in a bid to distract the pack of tigresses from oneself

"His antlers have no hair, he's definitely balding!", "His chin is not pointing to the right direction at all!", "Have you seen those ridiculous hooves he wore to work today?"

They desire in silence and, when ungratified, retaliate in silence, no matter what their age or the occasion is. Female warfare stealth-mode!

She doesn't like him enough to make the first move, but she also doesn't dislike him enough to be content he's not making any move. In short, she wants him to make the move so she can later put it in/on the company's newsletter/billboard, whichever is nearest, then play it aloof like a female president

It's a crazy game like that; still, women are nice to be around in the workplace for as long as there are other elks one can shield behind. Better them than oneself!
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Sam Abramov

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The human being Oct 23, 2020

Sadek_A wrote:

I try to believe the human being is nice, but while some play fair, others don't.

Becca Resnik
P.L.F. Persio
Sheila Wilson
Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Sadek_A
English to Arabic
+ ...
No shame in admitting the difference Oct 23, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:
I try to believe the human being is nice, but while some play fair, others don't.

Of course women are human beings, but they are wired in a different way than men.

And, it is not a matter of evaluating whether it's a better or a worse way, it is just good to know and admit that difference.

Many women think men are harsh on them, but the fact is a lot of women are harsh on men as well.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:35
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I´ll put my like beneath this post* ... Oct 23, 2020

Sadek_A wrote:

"His antlers have no hair, he's definitely balding!", "His chin is not pointing to the right direction at all!", "Have you seen those ridiculous hooves he wore to work today?"

They desire in silence and, when ungratified, retaliate in silence, no matter what their age or the occasion is. Female warfare stealth-mode!

She doesn't like him enough to make the first move, but she also doesn't dislike him enough to be content he's not making any move. In short, she wants him to make the move so she can later put it in/on the company's newsletter/billboard, whichever is nearest, then play it aloof like a female president

It's a crazy game like that; still, women are nice to be around in the workplace for as long as there are other elks one can shield behind. Better them than oneself!

... but I do not want to be blamed for it, thank you.

*because I read it several times and I can´t help that I like what I read as a reader, for what reason ever.

Sadek_A

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
The ideology of political correctness reached Europe long ago Oct 23, 2020

@Marijaflora: Unfortunately, Germany and the rest of Western Europe has indeed fallen for the ideology of political correctness and "diversity". I recently heard of a law firm in the UK that has committed itself to a quota of 30% ethnic minority new recruits. Now I'm not sure what percentage of the UK population is currently from an ethnic minority but I'm guessing it's not next or near 30%.

Sadek_A
English to Arabic
+ ...
No worries, shield behind :) Oct 24, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:
... but I do not want to be blamed for it, thank you.

*because I read it several times and I can´t help that I like what I read as a reader, for what reason ever.

Thanks, Matthias.

No worries, the Arab will take the blame for it, that's what he is here for anyway. You are a westerner, you're safe. They would only come after you if there was no Arab (or, a number of other assorted others -- not saying who!) in the picture.

I also replied to expressisverbis a long time earlier, but the reply hasn't made it to the public eye yet!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Snobbery Oct 24, 2020

@Chris: How do you know that it's "a rare breed of human who wants to work" as air stewards/stewardesses? Your comment reeks of snobbery and elitism.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Women seen as a "pack of tigresses" Oct 24, 2020

Please, do not forget there was a nice woman from "the pack of tigresses" who brought you into the world. Women are mothers, and probably we have a few ones here.
I can only say I am sorry that a man can treat a woman badly to the extent that he uses any form of serious discrimination against her, and vice versa.

Christopher Schröder
Sheila Wilson
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Becca Resnik
marijaflora

Sadek_A
English to Arabic
+ ...
?! Oct 25, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Please, do not forget there was a nice woman from "the pack of tigresses" who brought you into the world. Women are mothers, and probably we have a few ones here.
I can only say I am sorry that a man can treat a woman badly to the extent that he uses any form of serious discrimination against her, and vice versa.

In the animal kingdom, a tigress is a mother as well. Her being harsh or a hunter doesn't revoke the fact she could be a mother too.

The OP of this thread was complaining that, in passing, women around him used to make -let's say "uncanny" remarks, to be polite- which they regarded as un-harmful but were in fact hurtful to him.

In one of the latest posts of this thread that you, expressisverbis, have put a like to, a female described my earlier post with one of those "uncanny" remarks, she thought her remark (addressed directly to myself!) wasn't harmful; the question now is: would she have accepted the same remark by a male colleague addressed directly to her on something she wrote?! I don't think so; hence, the "women don't play fair".

Sadly, the rhetoric has, a long time ago, changed from "let's stop abusive men" into "let's abuse men".

I read this thread when it started, and the moment I saw what it was about it immediately reminded me of a few years back when Madrid was apparently trying to get on the good side of Feminism. SOME male metro-commuters used to sit with their legs spread wide open (apparently too wide as deemed by feminists), later a term was coined "manspreading" to help the media coverage and feminists of course, and instead of dealing with those SOME abusers (by, perhaps, introducing a fine/ticket conducted by an undercover metro officer!), no, they went on and punished the whole male commuters by saying they must sit in the same position as a woman (I even saw pictures of Red Xs on metro car floor where man's feet will have to be placed!) Now, is the man anatomically the same as the woman?! Does the woman have something between her legs that can be put in a confirmed medical danger by such a pose on a daily basis of commute?!

Men and women are different, and that difference must be respected. And, the fact that some men are abusive doesn't mean that 1) some women aren't abusive as well. 2) non-abusive men has to suffer in the process and be subject to scare tactics by feminists and feminism!

Gerard Barry

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
It wasn’t me Oct 25, 2020

Gerard Barry wrote:

@Chris: How do you know that it's "a rare breed of human who wants to work" as air stewards/stewardesses? Your comment reeks of snobbery and elitism.

I didn’t say that, Lincoln did. Best take it up with him.

expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Assumptions Oct 25, 2020

Gerard Barry wrote:
Unfortunately, Germany and the rest of Western Europe has indeed fallen for the ideology of political correctness and "diversity". I recently heard of a law firm in the UK that has committed itself to a quota of 30% ethnic minority new recruits. Now I'm not sure what percentage of the UK population is currently from an ethnic minority but I'm guessing it's not next or near 30%.

The sad thing is that you automatically see that as discrimination against white people rather than, say, righting a wrong and bringing the number of people from ethnic minorities at the firm to where it should be, or a cynical marketing ploy which will be abandoned in due course owing to a supposed lack of suitable candidates.

I think that if you’re going to rant and rail against these things, you really ought to take the ten seconds to find out what percentage of the population ethnic minorities make up rather than making uninformed assumptions.

Turns out that, in London, where most law firms are based, the percentage of people from ethnic minorities at the last census was... drum roll... 60%. So you’ll be glad to know the firm was helping to preserve white supremacy after all. Phew.

Sadek wrote:
would she have accepted the same remark by a male colleague addressed directly to her on something she wrote?! I don't think so; hence, the "women don't play fair".

Another uninformed assumption and a baseless, offensive, sexist generalisation.

Have you two considered therapy? I’m no expert but I think you might have some issues that need resolving.

[Edited at 2020-10-25 08:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-10-25 08:28 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Jan Truper
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Becca Resnik

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Believe me .. Oct 25, 2020

Sadek_A wrote:
They would only come after you if there was no Arab (or, a number of other assorted others -- not saying who!) in the picture.

... "they" already came after me. Not "them" you think of, but all kind of tigers and tigresses in my numeral careers I have behind me, dominating their group with subtle humiliation and accompanied by the worst of them, the sub- and sub sub tigers and tigresses, no matter whether male or female, white, brown or from the Arabian peninsula etc., before I locked down myself in my home office, lucky to be more or less only judged by what I am doing and not by what I am or not. As I already wrote earlier here, it is a matter of power one or two persons may have in a group and how they foster their most miserable kind of power. And yes, males and females may then act in a different way. The situation you described can only occur in a work environment with an already existing generally poisoned atmosphere. There you can experience the worst of both sexes, no matter what education or cultural background they have. The reason why I liked your post was the style it was written, how you described a situation of abusing power in a subtle way (if I understood you right) and which distinguishes you from the usual bunch of persons, who nowadays feel so foolishly dogged (pursued) by "political correctness" (if I have understood you right so far) and can count on a thankful audience and even political support. (Isn´t there any sociologist among us?) By the way: The worst experience I made in my career as a translator was with a 100 % male PM, behaving as a dominant acting male, even by email, and don´t ask me what words he used when he phoned me one day and what kind of English he as a nonnative speaker used to express, what allegedly was wrong with the terms I used etc. The second one was a very dominant 100 % female, acting in nearly the same way. Two years later she was dismissed because she had driven away too many "resources" with her behavior. The mentioned male still is in business, because he runs that agency ... and I´m in business again with the second agency.

[Bearbeitet am 2020-10-25 10:04 GMT]

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Sam Abramov
marijaflora

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Diversity" in the translation industry

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »