Martin Brüggemeier
Martin Brüggemeier
Germany
Local time: 19:05
English to German
+ ...
Mar 7, 2013

Hi, everyone!

I've taken a look at the CafeTran website and also the CafeTran wiki, and the program looks really interesting to me.

I've read that you can use CafeTran for translating MS Office files in the current formats (docx, xlsx etc), and on cafetran.respublika.pl it says that MS Office is not required for using Cafetran. Now in the list of supported file formats on the Specs Sheet, it says:

"Translation of Microsoft Office documents (needed MS Office
... See more
Hi, everyone!

I've taken a look at the CafeTran website and also the CafeTran wiki, and the program looks really interesting to me.

I've read that you can use CafeTran for translating MS Office files in the current formats (docx, xlsx etc), and on cafetran.respublika.pl it says that MS Office is not required for using Cafetran. Now in the list of supported file formats on the Specs Sheet, it says:

"Translation of Microsoft Office documents (needed MS Office 2003 or higher)."

So what exactly does that mean? Must MS Office 2003 or higher be installed for handling those formats, or does it only mean that the file format needs to be MS Office 2003 or higher?

Thanks for your answer!
Martin
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 00:05
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No legacy MS Office file formats Mar 7, 2013

It just means that you'll have to convert older MS Office files (.doc, .xls) into the later version (.docx, .xlsx) to translate them using CafeTran, Martin. No need to install MS Office to do that, LibreOffice will also do the trick.

Cheers,

Hans

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
You don't need Word installed Mar 7, 2013

Hi Martin,

You don't need Microsoft Word to be installed on your computer.

Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating MS Office documents

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »