Mac users on CafeTran
Thread poster: wilhelm_zwo (X)
wilhelm_zwo (X)
wilhelm_zwo (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 16:27
German to Dutch
Jul 21, 2013

To my surprise this week's issue of the Tool Box Newsletter covers CafeTran. In an interesting interview with Jost, Igor mentions that about 20 percent of CafeTran's users are on a Mac.

Personally I can understand why, since I have good experience with CafeTran, both on my iMac and on my MacBook Pro.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Maybe Jul 21, 2013

wilhelm_zwo wrote:

To my surprise this week's issue of the Tool Box Newsletter covers CafeTran. In an interesting interview with Jost, Igor mentions that about 20 percent of CafeTran's users are on a Mac.

Personally I can understand why, since I have good experience with CafeTran, both on my iMac and on my MacBook Pro.

Cause OmegaT is a free shareware?

What could I have in CafeTran that I can not realize in OmegaT?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:27
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
off the top of my head Jul 21, 2013

Hi Fernando,

1. Can you export segment comments from inside OmegaT straight to the exported Word document?

2. If you are inserting a termbase hit into the target segment box, does OmegaT automatically adjust the case? That is, your termbase has 'Page', but your text obviously requires 'page', and so CafeTran changes 'Page' to 'page' when inserting it.

3. In OmegaT, can you place the caret in a misspelled (underlined) word and have it auto-corrected or be pr
... See more
Hi Fernando,

1. Can you export segment comments from inside OmegaT straight to the exported Word document?

2. If you are inserting a termbase hit into the target segment box, does OmegaT automatically adjust the case? That is, your termbase has 'Page', but your text obviously requires 'page', and so CafeTran changes 'Page' to 'page' when inserting it.

3. In OmegaT, can you place the caret in a misspelled (underlined) word and have it auto-corrected or be presented with a list of possible correct words with a keyboard shortcut?

4. Can you export your current project as a bilingual HTML file (for the proofreader) containing all your segment comments and segment numbers?

Michael
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
I was just thinking out loud Jul 21, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:

Hi Fernando,

Michael

No idea, I was really asking.

I am not sure if I understand the question:

about 20 percent of CafeTran's users are on a Mac.

The question is why not much more?

I think must translators using a Mac, still have Windows for one of the "big" CATs and use Mac only for some situations, maybe a 2° CAT, and then... why not a free one?

I just receive sometimes OmegaT projects over Dropbox and I was surprise over the simplicity. But maybe the times are in changing Maybe one day I will be Windows free Anyway I tried some CATs with Java in Mac and I was not happy (slow with big TMs). Still waiting for a good Cocoa programmed CAT.

wilhelm_zwo (X)
wilhelm_zwo (X)
Netherlands
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
I only translate on my Mac Jul 21, 2013

I only translate on my Mac – at the OS X side that is (not in Parallels).

What do you mean by 'big TMs', can you please give a size?

About OmegaT versus CafeTran, I guess the biggest difference is the pace of development – which results in more new and useful features per season for CafeTran.

Well, let me refine this: more new features that are useful to me.

wilhelm_zwo (X)
wilhelm_zwo (X)
Netherlands
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Native CAT tool for OS X Jul 21, 2013

I don't want to discourage you but I think (given the fact that CAT software is a niche market and there are many good CAT tools already, on a very competitive market) chances are very small that there will be a new CAT tool written especially for OS X.

And even if someone would write such a CAT tool for OS X, he'll need many years of hard work to add the useful features to it that the established CAT tools offer, e.g. CafeTran.

I've been waiting/hoping for a native OS
... See more
I don't want to discourage you but I think (given the fact that CAT software is a niche market and there are many good CAT tools already, on a very competitive market) chances are very small that there will be a new CAT tool written especially for OS X.

And even if someone would write such a CAT tool for OS X, he'll need many years of hard work to add the useful features to it that the established CAT tools offer, e.g. CafeTran.

I've been waiting/hoping for a native OS X CAT tool too, when I translated in Parallels Desktop. Since I work exclusively with CafeTran (SDLXLIFF, Transit etc. projects), I find Java fully acceptable. Since I've turned off all browser plug-ins for Java too, I'm not afraid of security issues.

Perhaps my TMs are much smaller than yours? Very well possible. Anyway, on my Macs CafeTran is extremely fast. Faster than memoQ or Studio on native Windows, for instance.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:27
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
'big TMs' Jul 21, 2013

Hi Wilhelm,

For me, a 'big TM' is around 2 GB (with 6 million segments). For example the new EUbookshop TMs.

I have tried many CAT tools, and so far memoQ is the best at handling really large amounts of data. The fact that CafeTran stores its TMs in RAM is good in certain respects, but it also has its drawbacks. I am therefore currently experimenting with CT's external databases as a way of working on a CT project with all of my TM data connected and accessible.
<
... See more
Hi Wilhelm,

For me, a 'big TM' is around 2 GB (with 6 million segments). For example the new EUbookshop TMs.

I have tried many CAT tools, and so far memoQ is the best at handling really large amounts of data. The fact that CafeTran stores its TMs in RAM is good in certain respects, but it also has its drawbacks. I am therefore currently experimenting with CT's external databases as a way of working on a CT project with all of my TM data connected and accessible.

Michael
Collapse

wilhelm_zwo (X)
wilhelm_zwo (X)
Netherlands
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Big TMs Jul 22, 2013

Yes, I know what you mean by a big TM, Michael, but I was interested to hear what Fernando means by 'BIG'.

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Well Jul 22, 2013

wilhelm_zwo wrote:

Yes, I know what you mean by a big TM, Michael, but I was interested to hear what Fernando means by 'BIG'.

I just tried with 500.000 TUs TM in two Mac CATs: WF and Swordfish, and I had problems, too slow, concordance... it is a few years ago, maybe getting better now.

I hope/wish CafeTran can manage this "normal" big TMs good.

Anyway I have to work with the CATs my clients decided to use, I have no chance

In fact I wish I could go away from Apple in near future.. I have no good feeling anymore... Maybe my Macbook Pro 2012 will be the last one (after 15 years loyalty )

Regards

[Edited at 2013-07-22 19:20 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 21:27
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Some verified CafeTran data on large TMs Jul 23, 2013

Fernando Toledo wrote:
I just tried with 500.000 TUs TM in two Mac CATs: WF and Swordfish, and I had problems, too slow, concordance... it is a few years ago, maybe getting better now.

On a Late 2009 iMac 27", with 12 GB of RAM, 10 GB of which assigned to Java, the 2,000,000+ segments GER-DUT DGT loads in less than 1 min 30 sec. Search time depends heavily on what you search for. Searching for a high-frequency term can take seconds (searching for one letter may cause CafeTran to crash, but nobody is stupid enough to do that. But me), searching for a more specific word or a term consisting of more than one word is almost instantaneous.
Note that even though I assigned 10 GB of RAM to Java, CafeTran never uses more than 5.75 GB according to the Activity Monitor, for the DGT mentioned plus several other attached databases totaling around 2.5 GB.
For auto-assemble you will have to set the DGT as "pre-translate" as real-time auto-assembling will take too long. You can immediately start working after the pre-translation has started, but searching the DGT is only possible after the process has finished. In the largely theoretical case that the auto-assemble hits don't yield the required results, you can attach a second instance of the DGT as an external database, and search it while it's pre-translating.
If you don't have that much RAM at your disposal, you can also load the DGT as an "external" (i.e. not "in" CafeTran) database. Loading will be slower, searching hardly.

I recorded the waiting times in a few screencasts, so I have "proof" (for loading/searching the DGT loaded in RAM only). Those screencasts are utterly boring, of course, but I bet I still have them...

Cheers,

Hans

Martin Brüggemeier
Martin Brüggemeier
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Features of Cafetran that OmegaT doesn't have Jul 23, 2013

Fernando Toledo wrote:
What could I have in CafeTran that I can not realize in OmegaT?

Here are some more examples:

Cafetran supports some (project) file formats that OmegaT can't handle (e.g. memoQ).
CT has some useful editing features that OmT doesn't have. For example, you can insert formating (italics, bold, underlined) in the target segment. Besides, it's possible to split and join segments.
CT has a built-in alignment feature.

Regards,
Martin

Martin Brüggemeier
Martin Brüggemeier
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I forgot one more thing Jul 23, 2013

... and I forgot one more thing:

Cafetran can be connected to OpenOffice/Libreoffice so that those programs can be used as editors.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mac users on CafeTran

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »