No switch to restricted demo mode!
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:39
Jan 14, 2014

Recently, I was sorry to find out that one of my Java-based CAT tools switched to restricted demo mode at the end of its license period.

CafeTran will stay fully functional after your first year of use. I think this is rather relevant information, when deciding which CAT tool to buy.

Hans

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:39
Finnish to French
Different licensing terms Jan 16, 2014

You are comparing apples and oranges here.

A CafeTran license is linked to a particular version: you buy a given version and you have the right to any upgrade published within one year; after that, you are stuck with whatever version you have. If you want to stay current, you'll have to pay an upgrade fee every year (since it appears major new versions are released every year).

A Wordfast license is linked to a period of three years: within that period, you can upgrade
... See more
You are comparing apples and oranges here.

A CafeTran license is linked to a particular version: you buy a given version and you have the right to any upgrade published within one year; after that, you are stuck with whatever version you have. If you want to stay current, you'll have to pay an upgrade fee every year (since it appears major new versions are released every year).

A Wordfast license is linked to a period of three years: within that period, you can upgrade to whatever version is released without having to pay anything. And btw, a Wordfast license doesn't switch to demo mode after the first year (as you incorrectly claim), it doesn't after the second year, it does after the third year.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Only one orange? Jan 16, 2014

AFAIK Wordfast is the only CAT tool which switches to demo mode, all others are apples and functional even after 10 years. Moreover, Wordfast (the Orange) is not cheap, Classic version is EUR 400 for 3 years! I think it is time to call it Wordfa$t.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Subscription-based vs. version-based licensing models Jan 16, 2014

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
AFAIK Wordfast is the only CAT tool which switches to demo mode, all others are apples and functional even after 10 years.

Subscription-based licensing models are becoming more or more common: think of MS Office 365, Adobe Creative Suite etc. Wordfast isn't the only CAT tool that is subscription-based: Star Transit is also sold on the same basis. The difference is in the subscription period: you can buy Transit for 3 months, 6 months or 12 months. memoQ is also subscription-based in practice: most users would pay the annual fee (124 euros) that grant them both support and access to updates.

As to buying a CAT tool and using the same version for the next 10 years, very few people are doing it in practice. It just doesn't make sense. How many people are using Trados 5, Déjà Vu 3 etc. (these would be the versions from 2004)?

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
Moreover, Wordfast (the Orange) is not cheap, Classic version is EUR 400 for 3 years! I think it is time to call it Wordfa$t.

It's Wordfast, not Wordcheap. If price was the only issue, all translators would be using OmegaT or Wordfast Anywhere.

Besides, the cost of Wordfast Classic (or Pro) for you (as a freelance translator who resides in Turkey) would be 200 euros, not 400 euros. And renewing the validity of your license for another three years would be 100 euros. So over a period of six years, you would end up paying 300 euros (50 euros per year).

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
I don't claim that Jan 16, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

And btw, a Wordfast license doesn't switch to demo mode after the first year (as you incorrectly claim), it doesn't after the second year, it does after the third year.

Where do I claim that? At least this is not what I intended to say...

BTW: Regarding close-reading, the Wf EULA requires some very close-reading. I didn't understand that my Wf Pro would go demo. Neither did some other long-time Wf Pro users, as I read.

Perhaps Igor should come up with a special prolongation fee for the 2nd, 3rd etc. years. I guess you are right that it is 80 Euro now.

All the best,

Hans

[Edited at 2014-01-16 16:34 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Wordfast vs. CafeTran Jan 16, 2014

2nl wrote:
Where do I claim that? At least this is not what I intended to say...

OK, you didn't claim it, you tacitly implied it when you wrote:
CafeTran will stay fully functional after your first year of use.
-> what this implies is: "the other tool will not stay fully functional after the first year of use".

Some CAT tools do stop working after the first year (if the subscription is not renewed). This would include tools sold with a one-year subscription period, like Star Transit, SDL Trados Studio Starter Edition and cloud-based tools like XTM, MemSource etc. Wordfast must have the longest subscription period of all subscription-based tools.
2nl wrote:
BTW: Regarding close-reading, the Wf EULA requires some very close-reading. I didn't understand that my Wf Pro would go demo. Neither did some other long-time Wf Pro users, as I read.

Wordfast Pro (and Wordfast Classic, since version 6.03t) start issuing warnings about the incoming expiry. The warnings start to pop up about 30 days before the expiry date. This means it doesn't come as a surprise to an active user. I no longer remember what the warning says, but your attention is drawn to the fact your license will expire.

When you subscribe to your favorite daily newspaper for one year, it doesn't come as a surprise you will stop receiving it after one year if you don't renew your subscription, even if the publisher doesn't state that explicitly. Well, same with Wordfast.
2nl wrote:
Perhaps Igor should come up with a special prolongation fee for the 2nd, 3rd etc. years. I guess you are right that it is 80 Euro now.

The buying link doesn't say much about what happens after the first year, except CafeTran will remain fully functional, but it won't be possible to upgrade to newer versions. In particular, it doesn't say anything about the price to pay in order to be eligible for new versions, nor how long that right will last (one year?).

While comparing the terms of use of Wordfast and CafeTran, let's include what you can do with a demo:

1) Number of segments you can translate:
  • Wordfast: 500 segments (Pro) or 1000 segments (Classic), no need to close/restart
  • CafeTran: a paltry 30 segments, need to close/restart

2) Duration of the trial:
  • Wordfast: unlimited
  • CafeTran: a paltry 30 days

• Dominique Pivard
    Finnish to French
    Warning about upcoming license expiry in Wordfast Jan 17, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:
    Wordfast Pro (and Wordfast Classic, since version 6.03t) start issuing warnings about the incoming expiry. The warnings start to pop up about 30 days before the expiry date. This means it doesn't come as a surprise to an active user. I no longer remember what the warning says, but your attention is drawn to the fact your license will expire.

OK, here is the warning displayed for Wordfast Pro:

and for Wordfast Classic:

2nl (X)
    Netherlands
    TOPIC STARTER
    Warning is not the issue at all Jan 17, 2014

There seems to be some misunderstanding here. The warning is not the issue, at least not for me.

The fact that your tool converts to demo mode at the end of the license period is. At least for me. BTW: The dialogue boxes don't mention the switch to demo mode either.

I understand that you as a Wf trainer have to defend company policy (it would be a strange thing if you didn't). I still find the switch to demo mode disappointing. Of all the software programs that I
    ... See more
    There seems to be some misunderstanding here. The warning is not the issue, at least not for me.

The fact that your tool converts to demo mode at the end of the license period is. At least for me. BTW: The dialogue boxes don't mention the switch to demo mode either.

I understand that you as a Wf trainer have to defend company policy (it would be a strange thing if you didn't). I still find the switch to demo mode disappointing. Of all the software programs that I've used during the last 20 years (on Windows and Mac), as far as I can recall, your tool is the only one that converts to demo mode.
    Collapse

2nl (X)
    Netherlands
    TOPIC STARTER
    Better demo mode + more clarity about prolongation Jan 17, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

While comparing the terms of use of Wordfast and CafeTran, let's include what you can do with a demo:

1) Number of segments you can translate:
  • Wordfast: 500 segments (Pro) or 1000 segments (Classic), no need to close/restart
  • CafeTran: a paltry 30 segments, need to close/restart

2) Duration of the trial:
  • Wordfast: unlimited
  • CafeTran: a paltry 30 days

• Thanks for pointing that out. I too hope that CafeTran will offer a more useable evaluation mode soon.

And there should be clarity about the costs of prolongating your license, indeed.

Martin Brüggemeier
    Martin Brüggemeier
    Germany
    English to German
    + ...
    Maximum number of segments in trial version May 5, 2014

In Wordfast, the maximum number of segments in demo mode is the total number of segments in a particular project. In CafeTran, you can even work on projects with more segments in trial mode (as long as you save your work and quit/restart the program every 30 segments).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No switch to restricted demo mode!

Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
    Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »