Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:28
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Feb 18, 2015

Dear all,

first post in the CafeTran forum - please bear with me.

After having played a bit with the trial version of CafeTran last year, I'm giving it a second try, as I really would like to get rid of Studio.

How can I use my existing Studio TMs? In CafeTran, I've tried to open a tmx export of my Studio TM as a tmx memory. A pane opens, but the TM seems to be empty. If I open a document I've translated before, no matches are shown.

I've also
... See more
Dear all,

first post in the CafeTran forum - please bear with me.

After having played a bit with the trial version of CafeTran last year, I'm giving it a second try, as I really would like to get rid of Studio.

How can I use my existing Studio TMs? In CafeTran, I've tried to open a tmx export of my Studio TM as a tmx memory. A pane opens, but the TM seems to be empty. If I open a document I've translated before, no matches are shown.

I've also tried the option "Import SDLTM memories". A pane opens, but nothing seems to happen otherwise.

What should I do? Any other hints about how to switch from Studio to CafeTran are welcome, too!

Kind regards,
Erik
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 02:28
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Easy Feb 18, 2015

Cheers,

Hans

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:28
English to Turkish
+ ...
language abbreviations Feb 18, 2015

Hi Erik,

I am sure CafeTran gurus will reply shortly. Perhaps there is a problem with the language pair abbreviations, possibly they do not match to your project settings.

Selcuk

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:28
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hi Erik, Feb 18, 2015

Studio TMs can be opened in CafeTran directly, or you can do what you did (tried to do): export your Studio TM as a TMX and open that in CafeTran. You said a pane opened, but the TM seemed to be empty. Do you have a TMX editor installed on your computer? It is always a good idea to have one installed to be able to check what's in your TMXs (and edit/maintain them).

Are you run
... See more
Studio TMs can be opened in CafeTran directly, or you can do what you did (tried to do): export your Studio TM as a TMX and open that in CafeTran. You said a pane opened, but the TM seemed to be empty. Do you have a TMX editor installed on your computer? It is always a good idea to have one installed to be able to check what's in your TMXs (and edit/maintain them).

Are you running Windows? Two good ones (both free) are "Okapi Olifant" and "Heartsome TMX Editor 8". Install one of these and double-click on your TMX exported from Studio to check whether the TMX is actually empty or has content. You can of course also just check this by opening the TMX in a text editor. Maybe something went wrong when exporting from Studio.

When you try to open a .sdltm file in CT, this is what you should see:

some_text

Selcuk might be right. It sounds like there might be a problem with incorrect language pair abbreviations ("nl-NL" instead of "nl-BE", e.g.) being used, which could cause one of the programs not to "see" the content. Remember that language pair abbreviations can be easily changed in any decent text editor. Don't use Notepad as it might mangle your content due to UTF-8 problems.

Michael

[Edited at 2015-02-18 13:57 GMT]
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 18, 2015

Thanks, seems I've accomplished that with your help.

Started my first project now. Gosh, this is all very confusing - can't find my way around the easiest functions yet. It's a shame there's no manual.

PS: Is there a way to reset the windows/tabs/panes however Cafetran calls this to a default setting? Looks like I've messed this up a lot.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-02-18 14:27 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Good luck! Feb 18, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

Thanks, seems I've accomplished that with your help.

Started my first project now. Gosh, this is all very confusing - can't find my way around the easiest functions yet. It's a shame there's no manual.

PS: Is there a way to reset the windows/tabs/panes however Cafetran calls this to a default setting? Looks like I've messed this up a lot.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-02-18 14:27 GMT]

This ought to do it: View > Window layout > Default window layout

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried that Feb 18, 2015

Dear Michael,

Thanks, but that doesn't change anything. I suspect it has to do with docking "tabs" to "grids" and "panes" and whatnot - I'll just continue fiddling around...

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
no manual but Feb 18, 2015

There is a great resource here: http://cafetran.wikidot.com/

And a good forum: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/cafetranslators

CafeTran is different from other CAT tools , but it is great. Don't test all features in one go. Try to get used to the default settin
... See more
There is a great resource here: http://cafetran.wikidot.com/

And a good forum: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/cafetranslators

CafeTran is different from other CAT tools , but it is great. Don't test all features in one go. Try to get used to the default settings, and change them later if needed.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran-undocking-resources-using-the-little-icons.png Feb 18, 2015

Try clicking the little icons to undock the resources. The little coffee cup icon is for TMs, the icon made out of two little blocks of lines is for Glossaries:

some_text

PS: I am using "Window layout 2" (my personal favourite)

[Edited at 2015-02-18 15:03 GMT]

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - new questions Feb 19, 2015

Dear all,

Thanks, that was very helpful so far.

I notice that CafeTran is working quite slowly - maybe this has to do with the fact that my TM is quite large? Sometimes, it takes up to 10 seconds before match suggestions appear, by which time I will have already typed the translation. I didn't experience this with Studio.

Can I speed things up? I tried to remove the TM from the project, but CafeTran doesn't seem to remember this: When I restart CT, the mas
... See more
Dear all,

Thanks, that was very helpful so far.

I notice that CafeTran is working quite slowly - maybe this has to do with the fact that my TM is quite large? Sometimes, it takes up to 10 seconds before match suggestions appear, by which time I will have already typed the translation. I didn't experience this with Studio.

Can I speed things up? I tried to remove the TM from the project, but CafeTran doesn't seem to remember this: When I restart CT, the master TM is back again (and will take quite some time to load).

So basically my questions are: Is it normal that a large TM will considerably slow down CT? And how can I remove a TM from a project?

Many thanks in advance,
kind regards,
Erik
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Speeding up Feb 19, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:
Sometimes, it takes up to 10 seconds before match suggestions appear, by which time I will have already typed the translation. I didn't experience this with Studio

- Assign more RAM to Java
- Set large TMs to "Fuzzy," rather than "Fuzzy and Hits."
- Use the "Pretranslate" feature: Click Menu | Translation | Pretranslate from Current Segment (and give CT a head start of a minute or two)

And how can I remove a TM from a project?

Select it (in the tabbed pane), and delete it (click the little red icon with the X above the tabbed pane).

I don't think you can remove a TM before start-up, because the data are (!=is) saved in the XLF file. But I can be wrong.

Cheers,

Hans

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
some questions Feb 19, 2015

Hi Erik,

What is your operating system, if Windows 32 or 64 bit. How much total RAM and how much assigned to CafeTran. And if 64 bit, are you using 64 bit version of Java?

And what is the size of your TM, either the number of segments or megabytes.

Selcuk

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Pretranslate Feb 19, 2015

Hi Erik,

When your TM is large, use Pretranslation (menu Translation > Pretranslate...). Then, CafeTran kicks off with the matching going ahead while you can translate in your own pace, that is, you don't have to wait until the Pretranslation is over. The matches should be available without any delay.

One TM option may slow down the matching. Automatic concordance (searching for the subsegment hits) can be turned off as you select Fuzzy only in the Matching type field i
... See more
Hi Erik,

When your TM is large, use Pretranslation (menu Translation > Pretranslate...). Then, CafeTran kicks off with the matching going ahead while you can translate in your own pace, that is, you don't have to wait until the Pretranslation is over. The matches should be available without any delay.

One TM option may slow down the matching. Automatic concordance (searching for the subsegment hits) can be turned off as you select Fuzzy only in the Matching type field in TM Options.

If you wish to skip a TM as you reopen your Project, just unselect it in the Dashboard.

HTH,
Igor
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Info Feb 19, 2015

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Hi Erik,

What is your operating system, if Windows 32 or 64 bit. How much total RAM and how much assigned to CafeTran. And if 64 bit, are you using 64 bit version of Java?

And what is the size of your TM, either the number of segments or megabytes.

Selcuk

Dear Selcuk,

I'm using Win7, 64 bit. In the system manager, I can see "Java 8 update 31" and "Java 8 update 31 (64-bit)", I've got no idea how to check which one is being used. Should I just deinstall the regular version?

My PC has 16GB of RAM. I can't remember to actually have assigned RAM to CafeTran (how do I do that?). In the task manager, I can't find CafeTran anywhere. The task manager informs me that 56% of the physical memory is used.

In CT, the Java memory size is set to 4096.

My "big mama" SDLTM is 468MB.

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,
Erik

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Yet another way to speed things up Feb 19, 2015

You can also upload your Big Mama to the external database, and use Recall to generate a resource that is a pretranslation of your job. That pretranslated resource looks like and can be saved as a TMX file. This is pretty new, and the main disadvantage to me seems that you can't use it for Auto-Assemble (it already is an AA) while you translate, since it would trigger perfect matches all the time. However, you can use it for a very fast search. Another disadvantage is the lack of fuzziness offer... See more
You can also upload your Big Mama to the external database, and use Recall to generate a resource that is a pretranslation of your job. That pretranslated resource looks like and can be saved as a TMX file. This is pretty new, and the main disadvantage to me seems that you can't use it for Auto-Assemble (it already is an AA) while you translate, since it would trigger perfect matches all the time. However, you can use it for a very fast search. Another disadvantage is the lack of fuzziness offered by TMX files. In other words, I don't use it. I do upload huge resources (DGT) to the external database though, because a search in it is very fast since it has been indexed.

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert Studio TMs to CafeTran?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »