Interoperability: memoQ <> CafeTran versus Studio <> CafeTran
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:27
May 18, 2015

I think that in terms of interoperability Studio projects are easier to handle for users of CafeTran Espresso 2015. Studio projects come in packages that can be handled easily by CafeTran. The filter for Studio files is very good, the tag handling, propagation etc. is superb. If you have Studio installed on your computer, you can simply take out an XLIFF file, translate it in CafeTran and put it back in the right directory. Voila!

memoQ projects are more complex to deal with. Since
... See more
I think that in terms of interoperability Studio projects are easier to handle for users of CafeTran Espresso 2015. Studio projects come in packages that can be handled easily by CafeTran. The filter for Studio files is very good, the tag handling, propagation etc. is superb. If you have Studio installed on your computer, you can simply take out an XLIFF file, translate it in CafeTran and put it back in the right directory. Voila!

memoQ projects are more complex to deal with. Since XLIFF isn't the internal file format for translation projects, you either need a copy of memoQ to export to XLIFF or you have to ask your clients to sent you this XLIFF. To import your translation you need memoQ again. You cannot simply inject your XLIFF into a project (which is very well possible with Studio).

[Edited at 2015-05-18 19:48 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:27
Finnish to French
memoQ vs. Studio May 19, 2015

2nl wrote:
Since XLIFF isn't the internal file format for translation projects, you either need a copy of memoQ to export to XLIFF or you have to ask your clients to sent you this XLIFF.

And where do SDLXLIFFs come from? Do they grow in trees, or fall off the sky? Don't you also need a copy of Studio to obtain them, or have your client send them to you?

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Learning every day May 20, 2015

I think that you are right, Dominique: the difference in workflow isn't that dramatic. I've learned only yesterday that MQOUT and MQBACK packages are memoQ's equivalents of SDLPPX and SDLRPX. I guess that one can inject a translated MQXLIFF in an MQBACK package too?

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Packages May 20, 2015

2nl wrote:
I guess that one can inject a translated MQXLIFF in an MQBACK package too?

I wouldn't know about that. I think memoQ packages are far less common than Studio packages in the real world, because Kilgray has been more successful than SDL selling server solutions to their LSP clients. It's therefore much more common to work in an online memoQ project than in an online Studio project. Obviously, any CAT hopping scenario with an online project is impossible if you don't have a copy of memoQ installed on your computer.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
The joy of online projects May 20, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

It's therefore much more common to work in an online memoQ project than in an online Studio project.

I've had the privilege to download (open) some of these online projects. Assuming that my client had configured his server all right, I found that it quite a waste of my precious working time to sit and wait until the tiny memoQ project was checked out and I could start working on it.

The same kind client now always sends me MQXLIFF files. I've translated hundreds of them, since then. CafeTran opens them very fast. I'm a happy man again .

[Edited at 2015-05-20 08:45 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Manual synchronization May 20, 2015

2nl wrote:
I've had the privilege to download (open) some of these online projects. Assuming that my client had configured his server all right, I found that it quite a waste of my precious working time to sit and wait until the tiny memoQ project was checked out and I could start working on it.

You were probably missing this feature:

But whatever floats your boat (if you're happy with .mqxliff files).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interoperability: memoQ <> CafeTran versus Studio <> CafeTran

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »