Notes in Studio projects
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:27
May 27, 2015

Today I've run some tests to check how CafeTran handles notes (comments) in Studio projects.

Studio's comments aren't supported in CafeTran.

You cannot use CafeTran's own Notes (Translation > Add segment note) to add notes to a Studio project. (Notes are only supported in native CafeTran projects.)

However, you can (ab)use CafeTran's alternative translations (Translation > Alternative translation) to store info that you'd normally store in a note.
... See more
Today I've run some tests to check how CafeTran handles notes (comments) in Studio projects.

You cannot use CafeTran's own Notes (Translation > Add segment note) to add notes to a Studio project. (Notes are only supported in native CafeTran projects.)

However, you can (ab)use CafeTran's alternative translations (Translation > Alternative translation) to store info that you'd normally store in a note.

These alternative translations won't be visible in Studio at all, so you cannot pass them on to your Studio clients. A work-around would be to make a screenshot in CafeTran, after filtering on segments with alternative translations.

I'm not sure whether notes (comments) should be supported in Studio projects. But if you feel so, please tell!
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:27
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
If you use comments (like I do), this is an essential feature. May 27, 2015

2nl wrote:

These alternative translations won't be visible in Studio at all, so you cannot pass them on to your Studio clients. A work-around would be to make a screenshot in CafeTran, after filtering on segments with alternative translations.

I'm not sure whether notes (comments) should be supported in Studio projects. But if you feel so, please tell!

You already know my opinion on this, but I'll repeat it anyway, for the sake of people here.

If you make use of comments (called "notes" in CT), this is obviously an important feature, thus warranting inclusion in CT. I myself am a heavy user of comments/notes, and so this is an essential feature for me. Until CT can handle Studio comments, I can't actually use CT to translate Studio files.

Incidentally, memoQ 2015 just got this feature:

"Improved compatibility
With memoQ 2015 we have again improved memoQ’s compatibility with other translation technologies. memoQ is able to read comments including text highlights from SDLXLIFF and whatever you enter in memoQ shows up correctly back in Trados Studio. If the original file was Microsoft Word, memoQ recognizes SDLXLIFF formatting and all other tags and allows you to change the formatting which is preserved if you import the file back to Trados Studio."
(https://www.memoq.com/kilgray-blog/may-2015/6-ways-memoq-2015-will-make-you-more-productive )

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:27
TOPIC STARTER
The opinion of other users May 27, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

I myself am a heavy user of comments/notes, and so this is an essential feature for me. Until CT can handle Studio comments, I can't actually use CT to translate Studio files.

Yes, Michael, I'm aware of that. It would be interesting to hear the opinion of other users of CafeTran.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 23:27
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No May 27, 2015

There's no problem with "Notes to self" in a project, but notes for the client/proofreader should be handed in in a separate document. Your final translation - in any format - should be free of notes.

Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Notes in Studio projects

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »