Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
First steps with CafeTran Espress 2015 (video)
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:50
Finnish to French
Jun 21, 2015

I just uploaded a new video on the latest CafeTran Espresso 2015:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2015/06/20/first-steps-with-cafetran-expresso-2015/
or
https://youtu.be/7KBj1nTn2FI (watch it at 1080p definition)

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:50
Nice video! Jun 21, 2015

A very nice video, Dominique. Thank you for taking your time to create this.

I'll try to record a new screencast with the Mac version of CafeTran 2015, in the next few weeks. The "problem" with demonstrating CafeTran is always that you're likely to show too much, since it's so packed with useful features .

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:50
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Really? Jun 22, 2015

2nl wrote:

…CafeTran … so packed with useful features .

Sorry to say that, but I haven’t seen that in the video.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Longer video = more useful features Jun 22, 2015

http://www.proz.com/videos/3766-first-look-on-cafetran

And several old ones:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/videos

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:50
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
O ye of little faith Jun 22, 2015

esperantisto wrote:

2nl wrote:

Dominique's screencast shows the very basics of getting a job done, not much more. While it's a great little introduction for people who are unfamiliar with CafeTran, it doesn't even scratch the surface of what CT can do.

Michael

PS: when I have a moment I will make a screencast showing how you can pretranslate your document against a 45,000,000-segment TMLookup database (stored in SQLite) in only a matter of minutes. Very handy to do before starting each job to check if your current project has any matches with ALL THE THINGS YOU EVER TRANSLATED IN THE PAST + ALL THE DGT-TM STUFF + ALL THE CELEX STUFF + ETC. ETC. ETC.
This can be done with CT's so-called "Total Recall" system, which recently got a major performance upgrade when Igor added SQLite to its supported db formats.

[Edited at 2015-06-22 13:21 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Expectations vary Jun 22, 2015

esperantisto wrote:
2nl wrote:

It's probably because - as an experienced CAT tool user - you've seen it all and are blasé.

Since I know you're an OmegaT user, let me mention at least two things (shown in the video) CafeTran does better: 1) reliable terminology recognition with Finnish as source (sorry, the tokenizer approach used by OmegaT just doesn't cut it), 2) on-the-fly adding of term pairs to the active glossary (as far as I can remember, no such feature in OmegaT the last time I checked; it may have been added since, however).

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:50
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
cat(s) = kat(ten) AKA CafeTran’s amazing "Subterm entry" feature. Jun 22, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

esperantisto wrote:
2nl wrote:

It's probably because - as an experienced CAT tool user - you've seen it all and are blasé.

Since I know you're an OmegaT user, let me mention at least two things (shown in the video) CafeTran does better: 1) reliable terminology recognition with Finnish as source (sorry, the tokenizer approach used by OmegaT just doesn't cut it), 2) on-the-fly adding of term pairs to the active glossary (as far as I can remember, no such feature in OmegaT the last time I checked; it may have been added since, however).

Speaking of "on-the-fly adding of term pairs to the active glossary", there is a cool feature (called "Subterm entry") that allows you to send several pairs to the active glossary (or as many glossaries as are selected in the New Term dialogue) at once.

Imagine you have the following words in your source and target segments:

src: cats (plural)
trgt: katten (plural)

If you select "cats" in your src pane, and then "katten" in your trgt pane, and then hit Alt+G, the New term dialogue will open. If in this dialogue, you then select only part of each of these words, namely "cat" in your src pane and "kat" in your trgt pane …

CT will automagically send TWO term pairs to the connected glossaries:

src: cats (plural)
trgt: katten (plural)

and:

src: cat (singular)
trgt: kat (singular)

This is a very handy feature.

See also the CafeTran ChangeLog for more info:

"2013-12-01 ‘Subterm entry’ now possible in New Term dialogue! It is now also possible to add a term pair to your glossary from inside the New Term dialogue. Imagine that you are adding a long term pair to your glossary, and you notice that it itself contains another potential term (a ‘subterm’, so to speak). Just select the source and target term as you would in the Translation Editor, and it will be added to the same (selected) glossaries as the original term you opened the New Term dialogue to enter. Select 'Satz' and 'zin' in the New Term dialogue box, and both Satz=zin and Dieser Satz=Deze zin are added to the glossary." (http://cafetranhelp.com/changelog )

See screenshot here:

some_text

Michael

[Edited at 2015-06-22 15:32 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On the fly OmegaT Jun 22, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
2) on-the-fly adding of term pairs to the active glossary (as far as I can remember, no such feature in OmegaT the last time I checked; it may have been added since, however).

Erm... yes, it's there. You actually demonstrated it, yourself, in the video about the built-in tokeniser that doesn't work so well for Finnish. Didn't you?

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Confusion Jun 22, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
Erm... yes, it's there. You actually demonstrated it, yourself, in the video about the built-in tokeniser that doesn't work so well for Finnish. Didn't you?

My bad: I mixed up OmegaT with Translation Workspace, which I reviewed recently. Jack of all trades, master of none...
Anyway, I intend to review the latest OmegaT 3.5 during the Summer, so this will refresh my knowledge of OmegaT.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Some comments about OmegaT Jun 22, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

…CafeTran does better: 1) reliable terminology recognition with Finnish as source (sorry, the tokenizer approach used by OmegaT just doesn't cut it), 2) on-the-fly adding of term pairs to the active glossary (as far as I can remember, no such feature in OmegaT the last time I checked; it may have been added since, however).

First of all, I did not intend to criticize your video.

1) No idea about Finnish, but as for Belarusian or Russian (both highly inflective languages) OmegaT’s approach is very good. No problem with term recognition. And you don’t need to monkey around with the pipe symbol (it’s absent in the Belarusian or Russian keyboard layout, inter alia), just add the basic form of a word, and all inflections will be recognized. Much better as with CafeTran.
2) As Samuel mentions, terms can be added on-the-fly in OmegaT. Moreover, you can open a glossary in any text editor and add or delete terms there. Any modifications are immediately available in OmegaT as soon as you save the file.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Almost the same in CafeTran Jun 22, 2015

esperantisto wrote:

2) As Samuel mentions, terms can be added on-the-fly in OmegaT. Moreover, you can open a glossary in any text editor and add or delete terms there. Any modifications are immediately available in OmegaT as soon as you save the file.

First of all, it's so nice that everyone's so happy with her CAT tool. This mutual influence is very beneficial to the CAT tools concerned.

Additions to a glossary can indeed be made with a text editor in CafeTran too. However, you'll have to reload the glossary (via a keyboard shortcut or the context menu) afterwards.

As a matter of fact I use this feature a lot, since I'm constantly adding terms by manipulating them via a Keyboard Maestro macro (changing case etc.), writing them directly to the glossary file and reloading that. With only one keyboard shortcut.

But this is not a standard feature.

I also use the text editor approach to globally change target terms on the fly, when I discover that I'd better use another target term in the current project. In database-based terminology modules this is quite a lot of work. With CafeTran (or oT, probably) this is a peace of cake.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 17:50
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Pipeless stemming Jun 23, 2015

esperantisto wrote: And you don’t need to monkey around with the pipe symbol

And of course, CafeTran also offers that feature, unfortunately called "Prefix matching" in the Options menu. I tested it for English (yes, the animated GIF is way too fast, sorry)...

... and it works as advertised, but in real-life, results were disappointing. English isn't the ideal source language for this feature, I'm afraid. I already challenged our CATGuru to try the feature for Finnish, but so far, he didn't respond.

Cheers,

Hans

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not everyone Jun 23, 2015

2nl wrote:

First of all, it's so nice that everyone's so happy with her CAT tool.

Judging by cries and tears in SDL Trados forums, their users are not very happy

Seriously, happy are those who can use just one tool. Depending on particular jobs, I use four (used two more in the past) and am open to learn other ones, if find it feasible, CafeTran as well. So far, however, I don’t see anything special about this program. Well, awaiting new cool videos

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Nowadays, I only use CafeTran Jun 23, 2015

esperantisto wrote:

Seriously, happy are those who can use just one tool. Depending on particular jobs, I use four (used two more in the past) and am open to learn other ones, if find it feasible, CafeTran as well. So far, however, I don’t see anything special about this program. Well, awaiting new cool videos

Nowadays, I only use CafeTran – but that's obvious, I think.

Unique features that might persuade you to give CafeTran a try? How about these:

• Make changes to your project segments and the segments in your TMs in one pass, while case is adapted automatically.

• Override the default translation that is used for auto-assembling with the click of your mouse, choosing whether the override should be once or for the remainder of the translation project.

An example:

German Batterie can be translated as:

batterij

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batterij_(elektrisch)

or accu

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loodaccu

in Dutch.

Of course you can assign fields to your source term (automotive, consumer electronics etc.), but I find it less work/more flexible to just add both translations and choose the correct one on the fly (once per session).

• The use of regular expressions in term pairs, that allow you to create generic entries, that even span numbers:

Example: an entry like

|der \d+/\d+/EEC-Richtlinie = van de richtlijn 0/0/EEG

will translate der 89/336/EEC-Richtlinie to van de richtlijn 89/336/EEG

(as far as I know, this spanning isn't possible in oT!)

[Edited at 2015-06-23 10:49 GMT]

• Samuel Murray
    Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
    Netherlands
    Member (2006)
    English to Afrikaans
    + ...
    Tokenizer versus prefix matching Jun 23, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:
    And of course, CafeTran also offers that feature, unfortunately called "Prefix matching" in the Options menu.

I would appear then that CafeTran would automatically match "house" to "houses", but will it also match "woman" to "women" and "mouse" to "mice"?

[Edited at 2015-06-23 08:56 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First steps with CafeTran Espress 2015 (video)

Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
    Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »