Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Can you import a wordfast classic glossary?
Thread poster: Roni_S
Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 21:43
Slovak to English
Aug 18, 2015

Hi all,

Is there a way to import a glossary created in wordfast classic? I'm very new to cafetran and I'm also quite technically inept, so a dumbed-down version of the process, if there is one, would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
Roni

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:43
Finnish to French
Sure Aug 18, 2015

You may want to check my video on CafeTran 2015:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2015/06/20/first-steps-with-cafetran-espresso-2015/

At 4:00, it shows how to import sample terminology from an Excel file.

Just open your Wordfast glossary in Excel and you can continue from there. On the other hand, a Wordfast glos
... See more
You may want to check my video on CafeTran 2015:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2015/06/20/first-steps-with-cafetran-espresso-2015/

At 4:00, it shows how to import sample terminology from an Excel file.

Just open your Wordfast glossary in Excel and you can continue from there. On the other hand, a Wordfast glossary is just a tab-delimited text file, so you should be able to import it directly in CafeTran.
Collapse

Roni_S
Slovakia
Slovak to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 18, 2015

Thanks, Dominique. I like the video, it is clear and concise and helped me understand some of the basics - but my glossary import failed. It seems corrupted somehow, and I wonder if it has to do with all the asterisks I've added to the source words (Slavic language) in the Wordfast glossary. It also does not appear in Cafetran as tab-delimited, it looks like a jumbled mess all in one column with various diamond symbols throughout. *Sigh* I knew it sounded far too easy for it to work for me... See more
Thanks, Dominique. I like the video, it is clear and concise and helped me understand some of the basics - but my glossary import failed. It seems corrupted somehow, and I wonder if it has to do with all the asterisks I've added to the source words (Slavic language) in the Wordfast glossary. It also does not appear in Cafetran as tab-delimited, it looks like a jumbled mess all in one column with various diamond symbols throughout. *Sigh* I knew it sounded far too easy for it to work for me

I won't be able to make the transition without my glossary (and my TMs, which I'll deal with as soon as I figure out the glossary import) so I'll have to keep searching for a workable solution.

Many thanks!
Roni
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Excel Aug 18, 2015

Have you opened your Wordfast glossary in Excel and saved it as XLSX? If the source and target terms show up in separate columns (as the should), you should be able to import them in CafeTran. Asterisks shouldn’t be a problem, as I seem to remember CafeTran supports a similar mechanism (using pipes).

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
I can help you on Thursday Aug 19, 2015

Hello Roni,

I am not at the office today. I can provide (free) help tomorrow (Thursday) e.g. via Skype. If you don't have Skype installed, we can work via e-mail (see the contact page in my profile). I'd be glad to help you getting around with my favourite CAT tool.

Best,
Hans

User of CafeTran on Mac

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:43
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Well, just import! Aug 19, 2015

A WFC glossary is a mere tab-delimited text file. Thus read this: Adding an existing Glossary (as I remember, WFC uses UTF-16LE for its glossaries, thus, you might need to convert them to UTF-8 first).

Roni_S
Slovakia
Slovak to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Aug 19, 2015

for your suggestions.

Hans, thank you for your kind offer, if I'm unable to figure it out I will probably take you up on it. It will have to be some time next week though, as my free time seems to have expired for this week. I will contact you through your profile. Again, thank you.

Roni

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Excel takes care of encoding Aug 19, 2015

esperantisto wrote:
A WFC glossary is a mere tab-delimited text file. Thus read this: Adding an existing Glossary (as I remember, WFC uses UTF-16LE for its glossaries, thus, you might need to convert them to UTF-8 first).

The Excel route I suggested (open Wordfast glossary in Excel, save as XLSX, import from XSLX in CafeTran) should take care of the encoding issues (original poster probably has no idea what "UTF-16LE" means)

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:43
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I can help (too) Aug 19, 2015

englishpartner wrote:

Hi all,

Is there a way to import a glossary created in wordfast classic? I'm very new to cafetran and I'm also quite technically inept, so a dumbed-down version of the process, if there is one, would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
Roni

Hi englishpartner,

You can also send me the file (when you have a moment) and I can have a look at it, unless Hans has already helped you out.

Michael

Roni_S
Slovakia
Slovak to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again, everyone Aug 20, 2015

I'll need to get back to this post next week when I've got some free time on my schedule again.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Converting a Wordfast glossary to a CafeTran glossary Aug 20, 2015

I started writing an article on converting a Wordfast glossary to a CafeTran glossary. I used a Czech project, but the principle of stemming should be the same for Slovak.

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/migrating-wordfast-glossary

[Edited at 2015-08-20 18:49 GMT]

2nl (X)
Netherlands
New request Aug 22, 2015

I've just sent a new request to CafeTran's developer:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000010085

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Akelpad Aug 22, 2015

esperantisto wrote:

If the OP is using Windows, I can recommend Akelpad for problem-free conversion of WFC TMs and glossaries from UTF16LE to both types of UTF8. What kind of UTF8 does Cafetran expect... with or without byte order mark? Can't Cafetran read UTF16LE files, then?

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Yes it can! Aug 22, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

Can't Cafetran read UTF16LE files, then?

I've just tested it: yes it can!

I'll correct the wiki article. Probably the direct loading of the file is the easiest solution then (no Excel conversion).

Line endings of Wf glossaries are Windows, right?

Thanks for your input!

Hans

[Edited at 2015-08-22 12:22 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hans Aug 22, 2015

2nl wrote:
Line endings of Wf glossaries are Windows, right?

Yes, carriage return + line feed.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you import a wordfast classic glossary?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »