Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What would be a good name for this new technique?
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:59
Sep 9, 2015

The developer of CafeTran is looking for a good name for a new technique that he is creating for CafeTran:

Hi,

The next update of CafeTran will see a new enhancement to auto-assembling called "Sentence patterns". It will allow translators to create translation memory segments with variables in the following form:

All the leaves are {1} and the sky is {2}. = Todas las hojas son color {1} y el cielo es {2}.

Then CafeTran will be able to use terms in glossaries or fragments in translation memories to replace the variables with the found entry, creating a complete translation.

The feature will also let the user set the default exact match for the pattern such as:

All the leaves are {1=brown} and the sky is {2=gray}. = Todas las hojas son color {1=café} y el cielo es {2=gris}.

The order of variables is not fixed so the function may be really useful in auto-assembling when the translation of a sentence has the variable lexical elements in a completely different order.

I call this new improvement "Sentence patterns" as suggested by a user but it would be interesting to know an alternative (or perhaps a standard) term for it.

Igor

Jeffrey Henson
Jeffrey Henson
France
Member (2015)
French to English
Sentence patterns Sep 9, 2015

2nl wrote:

The feature will also let the user set the default exact match for the pattern such as:

All the leaves are {1=brown} and the sky is {2=gray}. = Todas las hojas son color {1=café} y el cielo es {2=gris}.

Igor
[/quote]

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused by this concept.

What happens if {1} is not a color but something else, like "wet". Wouldn't you get
"Todas la hojas son color mojadas" instead of "Todas la hojas están mojadas" ?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
. Sep 9, 2015

[Edited at 2015-09-09 17:30 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:59
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I vote for: Sep 9, 2015

p@tterns!

Christina B.
Christina B.  Identity Verified
Sweden
French to German
+ ...
Puzzle? Auto-Puzzle? Sep 9, 2015

"In a puzzle, one is required to put pieces together in a logical way, in order to arrive at the correct solution of the puzzle." (Wikipedia)

[Edited at 2015-09-09 19:35 GMT]

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes Sep 10, 2015

Jeff Henson wrote:

2nl wrote:

Igor

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused by this concept.

What happens if {1} is not a color but something else, like "wet". Wouldn't you get
"Todas la hojas son color mojadas" instead of "Todas la hojas están mojadas" ?

[/quote]
The fact that a feature or technique is not infallible does not make it useless. I'm sure this feature will be very useful in some specific scenarios (various types of boilerplate text) but I wouldn't expect it to be heavily used in regular day-to-day work.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Name Sep 10, 2015

FarkasAndras wrote:

I'm sure this feature will be very useful in some specific scenarios (various types of boilerplate text) but I wouldn't expect it to be heavily used in regular day-to-day work.

"boilerplate text" would have been my suggestion, but I'm not sure whether it covers the feature. Probably I'll have to see it first.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:59
Russian to English
+ ...
I would say don't bother Sep 10, 2015

If a translator cannot find a phrase himself or herself in a dictionary, either on line or in some phrasebooks or Thesauri, perhaps they should be looking into a different career.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
sorry I don't have any ideas Sep 10, 2015

sentence patterning would work fine, I'm sure

actually posting just because I wanted to say thanks for the earworm!

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Clause Skeletonizer Sep 10, 2015

How about clause skeletonizer?

[Edited at 2015-09-10 15:56 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:59
Chinese to English
Cloze Sep 11, 2015

This kind of sentence, where you fill words into a blank, is called a cloze, so some variation on that would be an option.

Clozing? Cloze? Cloze match?

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 19:59
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Here are the votes from Indonesia Sep 11, 2015

Phil Hand wrote:

Cloze match

That's it. End of discussion. The Wiki:

A cloze test (also cloze deletion test) is an exercise, test, or assessment consisting of a portion of text with certain words removed (cloze text), where the participant is asked to replace the missing words. Cloze tests require the ability to understand context and vocabulary in order to identify the correct words or type of words that belong in the deleted passages of a text. This exercise is commonly administered for the assessment of native and second language learning and instruction.

Cheers,

Hans

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
I like that! Sep 11, 2015

Phil Hand wrote:

This kind of sentence, where you fill words into a blank, is called a cloze, so some variation on that would be an option.

Clozing? Cloze? Cloze match?

Close Match sounds good to me. How about you, Michael Beijer??

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:59
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Cloze what? Sep 12, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Phil Hand wrote:

Cloze match

That's it. End of discussion. The Wiki:

A cloze test (also cloze deletion test) is an exercise, test, or assessment consisting of a portion of text with certain words removed (cloze text), where the participant is asked to replace the missing words. Cloze tests require the ability to understand context and vocabulary in order to identify the correct words or type of words that belong in the deleted passages of a text. This exercise is commonly administered for the assessment of native and second language learning and instruction.

Cheers,

Hans

Hmm, not convinced. My English is pretty good, but I had never heard of a ‘cloze’, so I doubt the name would mean anything to most people.

Also, I think we should probably see exactly what the feature does before naming it permanently. I've read the various snippets of info, and still have no idea what it really does.

Michael

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 19:59
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Invuloefening Sep 12, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
...My English is pretty good, but I had never heard of a ‘cloze’, so I doubt the name would mean anything to most people.

Neither have I, but that goes for a lot of rather specific terminology. Igor specifically asked:

I call this new improvement "Sentence patterns" as suggested by a user but it would be interesting to know an alternative (or perhaps a standard) term for it.

and this cloze seems to be a standard term. Van Dale:

Michael Beijer wrote: I think we should probably see exactly what the feature does before naming it permanently.

I think the "what it does" is pretty clear. The "how" is less clear, and to me the "how useful is it" isn't clear at all. Not yet.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2015-09-12 23:31 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What would be a good name for this new technique?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »