Jane Ellis
Jane Ellis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:34
Member (2012)
French to English
Oct 10, 2015

Dear Igor,

I am enjoying trying out CafeTrans on my Mac as a good alternative to using Trados via Parallels and am hoping I can switch over to use this for most of my translation needs.

I have been reading the wikis and various help articles so I know that there is no 'undo' button.

My question is, why???

Is this a difficult function to implement?

So far, this is the only thing making me think twice about purchasing your software a
... See more
Dear Igor,

I am enjoying trying out CafeTrans on my Mac as a good alternative to using Trados via Parallels and am hoping I can switch over to use this for most of my translation needs.

I have been reading the wikis and various help articles so I know that there is no 'undo' button.

My question is, why???

Is this a difficult function to implement?

So far, this is the only thing making me think twice about purchasing your software as I use this function constantly in Trados...

Thank you for making a CAT tool that runs natively on the Mac - and supports retina mode too. (I tried Wordfast Pro 3 but it needed a legacy version of Java and doesn't support the retina screen so it looks really fuzzy!).

I really hope an 'undo' function is planned for the future?

Thanks in advance,

Jane
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:34
What do you want to use Undo for? Oct 10, 2015

Jane Ellis wrote:

So far, this is the only thing making me think twice about purchasing your software as I use this function constantly in Trados...

Hello Jane,

What do you use the Undo feature for in Trados (Studio?)? Do you use it on a segment level or on a file/project level?

What would you like to use such a feature in CT for?

Hans

Jane Ellis
United States
Member (2012)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
How I use undo Oct 10, 2015

Hi Hans,

Well, I seem to end up using undo all the time when translating! At the segment level. Never on a file or project level.

For example, say I accidentally copy the source segment to the target segment - I just press undo, then I am back to a blank target segment.

Another example, say I cut and paste some text into a segment and I want to remove this, I can undo (instead of delete delet
... See more
Hi Hans,

Well, I seem to end up using undo all the time when translating! At the segment level. Never on a file or project level.

For example, say I accidentally copy the source segment to the target segment - I just press undo, then I am back to a blank target segment.

Another example, say I cut and paste some text into a segment and I want to remove this, I can undo (instead of delete delete delete or cut).

I could go on, but, in summary, really I just use it the way I would use it within word - if I make a spelling mistake etc.

I just was wondering if this is a major thing to implement coding-wise?

I can't think of any other software that doesn't have this function...

It is pretty easy to work around this - the point is - I would rather not have to work around this if at all possible.

Thanks
Collapse

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Right click Oct 10, 2015

Hi Jane,

There are undo and redo functions in CafeTran. Right click at the target segment pane and see the two buttons in the context toolbar. On Mac, you can also use Command+Z and Command+Y keyboard shortcuts too if the default Mac look and feel is set.

Igor

Jane Ellis
United States
Member (2012)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try these options thanks Oct 10, 2015

Thanks Igor,

That is very good to know - I did try the command functions from within a segment but they didn't seem to work for me. I'll check my settings and try again then let you know if this worked. I'll try right clicking too!

Jane Ellis
United States
Member (2012)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
This worked thank you! Oct 10, 2015

Thanks Igor,

I can confirm this worked.

I suppose I'm just used to seeing this at the top of the screen or within an edit context menu.

Thanks again,

Jane

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
I'm glad that this is clear now Oct 11, 2015

Thank you for asking the question, Jane. I've summarised the info on this page in a new article in the Wiki:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/undo

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We can all learn from each other's questions.

I hope that you will be enjoying your CafeTran license on your Mac! I certainly do ...
See more
Thank you for asking the question, Jane. I've summarised the info on this page in a new article in the Wiki:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/undo

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We can all learn from each other's questions.

I hope that you will be enjoying your CafeTran license on your Mac! I certainly do .

Hans
Collapse

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Top of the screen Oct 11, 2015

These buttons will be in the top of the screen in the coming update. Thanks for the feedback!

Igor

Jane Ellis
United States
Member (2012)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 11, 2015

Thank you so much Hans - for adding this to the Wiki (and so quickly!) and Igor, for including my beloved 'undo' button in a forthcoming update!

I'm very impressed - both with your CAT and with your reaction to my query.

Best wishes, Jane

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why no undo function?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »