What would you like to see in the next CafeTran webinar?
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:12
Oct 19, 2015

Instead of showing an introduction to CafeTran, it could be nicer to demonstrate specific tasks. So what would you like to have explained?

Title of the free webinar: What makes CafeTran unique?

Date: Thu, Nov 5, 2015 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM GMT

[Edited at 2015-10-20 15:57 GMT]

Jane Ellis
Jane Ellis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:12
Member (2012)
French to English
Adding synonyms to glossaries Oct 23, 2015

Hello,

I've just purchased CafeTran and I'd like to know how to add synonyms to glossary entries.

I also imported a term base from Trados (by using Glossary Converter to convert it to Tab delimited Excel file) and used the function to import from the Excel spreadsheet but I'm not sure if doing this has brought across synonyms.

So, I would love to see some demonstrations of how to add synonyms natively within CafeTran and how to handle importing term bases f
... See more
Hello,

I've just purchased CafeTran and I'd like to know how to add synonyms to glossary entries.

I also imported a term base from Trados (by using Glossary Converter to convert it to Tab delimited Excel file) and used the function to import from the Excel spreadsheet but I'm not sure if doing this has brought across synonyms.

So, I would love to see some demonstrations of how to add synonyms natively within CafeTran and how to handle importing term bases from other CAT tools.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I signed up for the webinar, but I won't be able to attend on the date - I plan to catch up with it on Friday 7th.

Best, Jane
Collapse

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Quick answer Oct 23, 2015

Jane Ellis wrote:

By separating them with ';' from each other and from the main entry.

They are called 'Alternative target terms' in the wiki:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/inserting-alternative-target-terms-via-the-context-menu

This feature is very powerful (and unique for CafeTran, so I'd discuss it any way in the webinar). You can override the default target term by any synonym. Once or for the rest of your session.

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/adding-term-pairs-to-the-glossary

Note that the pipe ('|', also called vertical bar) has been replaced with the ';'. The wiki article must be updated.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:12
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
a bit of info Oct 23, 2015

Jane Ellis wrote:

Hello,

So, I would love to see some demonstrations of how to add synonyms natively within CafeTran and how to handle importing term bases from other CAT tools.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I signed up for the webinar, but I won't be able to attend on the date - I plan to catch up with it on Friday 7th.

Best, Jane

Synonyms are separated by semicolons.

The best way to import terminology from another tool, in my opinion, is to create a native CafeTran glossary, add a few terms with synonyms (on both the source side and the target side), and then open this file in a good text editor, one which displays all marks. Have a look at it, and how it is structured.

The fields that you are currently using in your glossaries are defined here: Edit > Options > Database (some will be predefined in a new installation of CT, but you can add your own as well).

Then, take that tab delimited Excel file you mentioned, and either:

(1) Open it, Select all, Copy, and then Paste this into a new, empty txt file in your text editor. Look at its structure, and compare it with your CafeTran glossary
or
(2) open it in Excel and study its structure. then use CafeTran's Glossary > Import MS Excel glossary function.

I am not familiar with the Import MS Excel glossary function, as I always do everything in txt files (so I would use option #1 above), but maybe someone here knows how the Excel files should be structured.

I just noticed Hans wrote an article about this feature (http://cafetran.wikidot.com/importing-an-excel-file-into-a-glossary ), but it doesn't mention how synonym importing is handled. I'd advise asking in the official CT forum: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions or simply emailing support (i.e. Igor) @ [email protected]

Michael

[Edited at 2015-10-23 18:48 GMT]

PS: Welcome to CafeTran!!!

[Edited at 2015-10-23 18:50 GMT]

Jane Ellis
United States
Member (2012)
French to English
Thanks for your detailed replies - plus more things I would like to see in the webinar Oct 24, 2015

Thanks a lot for your detailed replies - I'll look into this after I've watched the webinar.

Something else I would like to see during the webinar is a demonstration of the document alignment function before I try it out myself.

Many thanks,

Jane

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Not a unique feature Oct 24, 2015

Jane Ellis wrote:

Thanks a lot for your detailed replies - I'll look into this after I've watched the webinar.

Something else I would like to see during the webinar is a demonstration of the document alignment function before I try it out myself.

Many thanks,

Jane

You're welcome and I'm afraid that I won't show the aligning since I'd rather advise www.youalign.com or LF Aligner (http://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/).

Aligning is not a unique feature of CafeTran.

I'm sure that Michael will fill you in about aligning: he's an expert.

Jane Ellis
United States
Member (2012)
French to English
Thanks - I know aligning is not a unique feature of CafeTran Oct 24, 2015

I see looking back at the title of this forum post that you want to highlight specific examples to illustrate how CT is unique and I have strayed from that remit.

[I have used alignment features in memoQ and would have liked to see how CafeTran compares. Are you saying (by providing the addresses for other alignment tools) that you don't recommend using CafeTran to align translated documents? I'll try it out myself
... See more
I see looking back at the title of this forum post that you want to highlight specific examples to illustrate how CT is unique and I have strayed from that remit.

[I have used alignment features in memoQ and would have liked to see how CafeTran compares. Are you saying (by providing the addresses for other alignment tools) that you don't recommend using CafeTran to align translated documents? I'll try it out myself anyway (sometime) and see how it goes.]

What makes CT unique is its clean, pared down look. Not cluttered on screen like most other CATs. Also the tag handling seems very streamlined compared to most. (Although CafeTran can quickly start to look cluttered when you start opening menus).

What makes CT unique for me, and why I chose it, is that it really does work natively on Mac and, so far, I have not found any compromises have had to made in terms of moving from Trados on Windows to CafeTran on Mac. (Although I do still get sent Word documents in doc format to translate from time to time, so it's a bit strange CT can't handle them... I know how to work around by saving in docx but prefer to work with documents that I haven't altered.)

Best,

Jane
Collapse

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Aligning Oct 24, 2015

Jane Ellis wrote:

Are you saying (by providing the addresses for other alignment tools) that you don't recommend using CafeTran to align translated documents?

It does a good job. But the other tools are more advanced and easier to use.

What makes CT unique is its clean, pared down look.

(Although CafeTran can quickly start to look cluttered when you start opening menus).

A lot can be done by joining resources. When you choose a theme/colour set with nonintrusive lines between panes, you can have a Zen interface.

Kind of this, but different:

What makes CT unique for me, and why I chose it, is that it really does work natively on Mac and, so far, I have not found any compromises have had to made in terms of moving from Trados on Windows to CafeTran on Mac.

Well, technically spoken, not really native, but as good as you can get. (I hope to convince Igor one day to recode CafeTran in Swift, so that it becomes a real Mac app.)

I hope to demonstrate in the webinar that compared to the tools you mention, CafeTran has superior editing features. And editing is what it's all about, when you are a freelance translator. When you are an LSP or PM, you have different needs and CafeTran definitely is not your tool of choice.

(Although I do still get sent Word documents in doc format to translate from time to time, so it's a bit strange CT can't handle them... I know how to work around by saving in docx but prefer to work with documents that I haven't altered.)

Actually it is a matter of funds and the laudable design principle to keep CafeTran 'Cessna' instead of 'Jumbo Mumbo'.

A conversion from DOC to DOCX is easy (and can be automated). One tip: don't forget to save back to DOC before delivery, to avoid complications.

Jane Ellis
United States
Member (2012)
French to English
True, CT is not a 'native' Mac app Oct 25, 2015

I forgot, as it runs so smoothly, that CT is Java-based.

Also - I do not think of CafeTran as a Cessna, haha, more like a streamlined airliner.

Look forward to viewing your webinar.

Arek Luczyk
Arek Luczyk
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Trados compatibility Oct 27, 2015

I'd like to know whether it's fully compatible with Trados (i.e. can be used with clients who require it).

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 20:12
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Pretty close Oct 28, 2015

Arek Luczyk wrote:
I'd like to know whether it's fully compatible with Trados (i.e. can be used with clients who require it).

• SDLXLIFF: fully compatible
  • SDLTM: fully compatible
  • SDLTB: mostly compatible. Only termbases with synonyms or more than one language can create minor problems
  • SDLPPX : fully compatible, can be imported directly. However, like all other CAT tools apart from Studio, CafeTran cannot create a return package with the required GUID code (which only exists for the convenience of the client).

In practice, this means that you can do all jobs using CafeTran, especially if the client cooperates.

More here.

Cheers,

Hans

• Dominique Pivard
    Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
    Local time: 16:12
    Finnish to French
    Trados compatibility Oct 28, 2015

Arek Luczyk wrote:
    I'd like to know whether it's fully compatible with Trados (i.e. can be used with clients who require it

Have you checked this article?

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/translating-sdlxliff-files

Meta Arkadia
    Meta Arkadia
    Local time: 20:12
    English to Indonesian
    + ...
    Unique Oct 28, 2015

2nl wrote:
    What makes CafeTran unique?

• The way to create document specific TMs from the very fast SQLite database, using a process called "Recall."
  • Using the same database for very fast concordance searches in huge databases
  • Tag handling.
  • More MT features than implemented in any other CAT tool. And better.
  • Being able to add external resources like web resources, and integrate them in the UI. Like Linguee:

More to come.

Cheers,

Hans

• 2nl (X)
    Netherlands
    TOPIC STARTER
    SDL Studio and Trados TTX supported Oct 28, 2015

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/sdl

This one is very outdated regarding the GUI:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/translating-ttx-files

Arek Luczyk
    Arek Luczyk
    Poland
    English to Polish
    + ...
    Thank you Oct 28, 2015

Hans, Dominique, 2nl - thank you for your input.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What would you like to see in the next CafeTran webinar?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
    Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »