Thread poster: Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:16
English to Polish
+ ...
Dec 20, 2015

Hi, this is my first post in this forum. I posted more or less the same to the CT group on google groups, but the moderator appears to be on holiday (after all today is Sunday, at least for some...)

I indend to try Cafetran, and based on my evaluation I might buy the annual license.

But what are the limitations of the trial version, specifically the number of units in the TM? Anything else that is unlocked only when I pay up?

I also have a question about t
... See more
Hi, this is my first post in this forum. I posted more or less the same to the CT group on google groups, but the moderator appears to be on holiday (after all today is Sunday, at least for some...)

I indend to try Cafetran, and based on my evaluation I might buy the annual license.

But what are the limitations of the trial version, specifically the number of units in the TM? Anything else that is unlocked only when I pay up?

I also have a question about the TM-town connector. Can it be used to pretranslate a project or is it just a lookup functionality (such as concordance of your own resources).

Regards,

Piotr
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I already know.. Dec 20, 2015

40+ views of my qestion and not a single answer.* Interesting, where are the evangelists? [friendly teasing]

* Even if 80% are web robots.

I already found out about the limitation by loading a too large TMX. it is 1000 units

By the way, Cafetran-install.jar gets blocked by Malwarebytes Anti-exploit.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Linux? Dec 20, 2015

On what OS are going to test CafeTran?

[Edited at 2015-12-20 15:50 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:16
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
↪↪↪↪↪↪↪↪↪↪↪↪↪ Dec 20, 2015

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

40+ views of my question and not a single answer.* Interesting, where are the evangelists? [friendly teasing]

* Even if 80% are web robots.

I already found out about the limitation by loading a too large TMX. it is 1000 units

Sorry, busy working here myself

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TM-Town Dec 20, 2015

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

I also have a question about the TM-town connector. Can it be used to pretranslate a project or is it just a lookup functionality (such as concordance of your own resources).

Regards,

Piotr

Sadly, the TM-town plugin only allows for lookup, and no pre-translation or fuzzy matching/highlighting. I've asked the developer of TM-Town about this. Can't remember what he answered. If more people asked, who knows, he might add it.

M

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:16
English to Turkish
+ ...
found answer at Facebook Dec 20, 2015

I have just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and installed the latest build of CafeTran. My license expired some years ago so I wanted to learn about trial limitations as well. Found answer at

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=363232977202227&id=354173844774807
3. New trial version.
Starting from this release,
... See more
I have just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and installed the latest build of CafeTran. My license expired some years ago so I wanted to learn about trial limitations as well. Found answer at

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=363232977202227&id=354173844774807
3. New trial version.
Starting from this release, CafeTran's trial version is much more friendlier with only the following limits:
- Maximum 1000 segments loaded to the Memory
- Maximum 500 glossary entries loaded to the Glossary
The above limits make it possible to test CafeTran on real translation projects without any time limitations.

Information at CafeTran website is not clear:

CafeTran Espresso can be downloaded for free and used indefinitely, giving you ample opportunity to decide whether or not the program is right for you. (Once your translation memories or glossaries reach a certain size, however, you may wish to select a licensing option that will allow you to use translation memories and glossaries of any size.)

[Edited at 2015-12-20 15:14 GMT]
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I used to be on Linux... Dec 20, 2015

2nl wrote:

On what OS are going to test CafeTran?

[Edited at 2015-12-20 15:50 GMT]

in my Swordfish days. Now I'm on Windows. What difference does it make?

Piotr Bienkowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One thing I need to ask Dec 20, 2015

Is where I switch the UI from Polish to English. I don't want the Polish interface.

It's the Harbinger version.... Does it bring good news?....

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
View > Appearance > Interface language Dec 20, 2015

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Is where I switch the UI from Polish to English. I don't want the Polish interface.

View > Appearance > Interface language: English, Polish, Latvian

All new versions of CT bring good tidings!

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:16
Finnish to French
Sometimes excessive paranoia is not good for you... Dec 20, 2015

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Maybe this overzealous software (and/or equivalent) is the cause of your other problems with Studio and memoQ...

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Some news Dec 20, 2015

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Relevant for you:

• Content of tags in SDLXLIFF files is now shown in the grid for better orientation
  • Better handling of padlocks inside segments in SDLXLIFF files

What already has been good:

You'll notice that global changes that you make to the target segments via Find and Replace (in the project or in the TM, or in both at the same time) are instantaneous, whereas the other tool has to cycle through the segments (which can cost quite some time).

Setting the segment status to Translated for 4000 segments/30000 words in 0.3 sec, whereas this process can take quite some time in the other tool. Time that you don't want to invest, since you're done with your work and want to go home.

All in all you will have a completely new experience. Please, don't let the 'deviant' (original!) jargon scare you off. In case of questions, ask here: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/forums/6000132966

Windows is fine, it's heavily supported by the developer (who's on Windows himself).

[Edited at 2015-12-20 21:00 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 21:16
English to Indonesian
+ ...
There is no trial version, only a free version... Dec 20, 2015

... and that free version is limited to 1000 TM entries and 500 glossary entries.

I think everybody should download this free version, because a.o. it allows for a lot of conversions, blistering fast concordance search in huge TMs (using the indexed SQLite database, which also allows for conversions), simultaneous search in web resources, and above all, maintenance of huge TMs (the "edit TM" function is not restricted to the 1000 entries limit).

Piotr, however, should a
... See more
... and that free version is limited to 1000 TM entries and 500 glossary entries.

I think everybody should download this free version, because a.o. it allows for a lot of conversions, blistering fast concordance search in huge TMs (using the indexed SQLite database, which also allows for conversions), simultaneous search in web resources, and above all, maintenance of huge TMs (the "edit TM" function is not restricted to the 1000 entries limit).

Piotr, however, should ask for a time-limited full version after playing around with the free version, I think.

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 23:16
CafeTran / TM-Town integration Dec 21, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

Sadly, the TM-town plugin only allows for lookup, and no pre-translation or fuzzy matching/highlighting. I've asked the developer of TM-Town about this. Can't remember what he answered. If more people asked, who knows, he might add it.

M

As for pre-translation, I think it would be great to have, but this involves development work on the CafeTran side so it would depend on if Igor wants to add it or not.

As for fuzzy matching/highlighting - this is currently supported. The results will return any exact matches along with any fuzzy matches and CafeTran will highlight the matched part of the query.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Still running the Trial? Dec 21, 2015

Still running the Trial, Kevin? Perhaps you should support Igor too?

Piotr Bienkowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not paranoid Dec 21, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Maybe this overzealous software (and/or equivalent) is the cause of your other problems with Studio and memoQ...

I was using a commercial antivirus advertised as lightweight but it was slowing down the whole system intolerably.

So I ditched it and decided to rely on Windows Defender and this Malwarebytes for the browser.

Studio and Malwarebytes coexisted for several weeks without any effect on Studio performance so I would not blame it.

My bet is rather on Windows 10 update that changed something in the .NET platform. After all Studio relies heavily on .NET and all sorts of visual something runtime libraries. But this is OT in the CT forum.

Anyway no time for debugging. Got heaps of work to do.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Limitations of the trial version?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »