Thread poster: Josephine Gardiner
Josephine Gardiner
Josephine Gardiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 13, 2016

I installed the trial version of CafeTran a few months back and was very impressed with it. I was actually on the point of getting the paid version when it suddenly froze.

I have now deleted and re-downloaded the CT app from the CT Espresso site around 10 times, with exactly the same result - when I open it I see the last screen I had before it froze, with the last translation I did listed at the top, but the cursor has gone rainbow coloured and no part of the screen responds. I th
... See more
I installed the trial version of CafeTran a few months back and was very impressed with it. I was actually on the point of getting the paid version when it suddenly froze.

I have now deleted and re-downloaded the CT app from the CT Espresso site around 10 times, with exactly the same result - when I open it I see the last screen I had before it froze, with the last translation I did listed at the top, but the cursor has gone rainbow coloured and no part of the screen responds. I then have to force quit.

The CT download site does a check to see if you have the appropriate version of Java, and I do (1.8.0 - 73).

I'm using a MacBook Air from mid 2012, running El Capitan.

I asked this question on the CT forums, but nobody seemed to have a solution other than downloading again, but this did not work, as I said.

I'd really like to get it working again as it was the only CAT I've seen that was actually enjoyable to use. I'm now back with Wordfast Anywhere, which is just OK.

Thanks in advance for any ideas...
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 05:00
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Submit a support ticket... Feb 13, 2016

...here: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/home

The problem you mention is an old one, and I thought it had been solved. You can read more about it here: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000017590

I encountered
... See more
...here: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/home

The problem you mention is an old one, and I thought it had been solved. You can read more about it here: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000017590

I encountered it months ago, and can offer several suggestions, but since I don't know if they are still useful, I suggest you ask Igor by filing a ticket.

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 00:00
Did you try this? Feb 13, 2016

This is what the developer wrote in a similar case:

===
Please reset program's settings as follows:

1. Download the CafeTran.app.

2. Unpack it on the Desktop and run it.

It should reset the settings.

3. Close the CafeTran.app on the desktop and try running the original CafeTran.app which you downloaded from the website.

4. If all is working, remove to trash bin the CafeTran.app from the Desktop.
===
... See more
This is what the developer wrote in a similar case:

===
Please reset program's settings as follows:

1. Download the CafeTran.app.

2. Unpack it on the Desktop and run it.

It should reset the settings.

3. Close the CafeTran.app on the desktop and try running the original CafeTran.app which you downloaded from the website.

4. If all is working, remove to trash bin the CafeTran.app from the Desktop.
===

If that doesn't work, you could try deleting the Preferences file manually:

On Mac the location is in
/users/(username)/Library/Preferences/com.apple.java.util.prefs

[Edited at 2016-02-13 07:10 GMT]
Collapse

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Reset the preferences Feb 13, 2016

Hi Josephine,

The freeze is caused by the preferences of an old CafeTran version still present in your system. The reset should clear them. Please submit a support ticket (https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/home) if you have a problem with the reset.

Igor

[Edited at 2016-02-13 11:08 GMT]

Josephine Gardiner
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working Feb 13, 2016

Thank you for your replies.

I've just deleted and re-downloaded it another 6 times, but no luck.
The idea that there is an old copy somewhere in the system makes sense, but if it's there, I can't find it. I've been through all my files.
I will submit a support ticket.

Igor Kmitowski
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Posted solution Feb 15, 2016

Hi Josephine,

Please see the solution given to Jon to clear the previous version of CafeTran's preferences on Mac in this forum thread:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000017590

Josephine Gardiner
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Working again... Feb 15, 2016

Hello Igor,
Yes that worked! Thank you very much.
If it freezes again, presumably I can just do the same thing (i.e. use the same link)?
Thanks again, J

Igor Kmitowski
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Update to the latest version Feb 15, 2016

In the latest 2016 Ichiro version of CafeTran, the freeze at the start of CafeTran has been fixed. It may occur on Mac if the preferences from an older version of CT are still present in the system. Then, you can use the provided link to reset the stored preferences.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran completely frozen!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »