ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:28
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 3, 2016

Hello,
I'm still following the tutorial to get used to CafeTran (and I'm still very impressed by this tool!).
However, I have a problem installing the spelling dictionary as shown on the tutorial on Youtube. I can download the en_GB-oed file, but when I double click on the dic-file, it opens on Windows (Parallels).
Can anyone tell me what to do?
Thanks in advance and kind regards,
Irene

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Trying to understand Nov 3, 2016

ibz wrote:

Hello,
I'm still following the tutorial to get used to CafeTran (and I'm still very impressed by this tool!).
However, I have a problem installing the spelling dictionary as shown on the tutorial on Youtube. I can download the en_GB-oed file, but when I double click on the dic-file, it opens on Windows (Parallels).
Can anyone tell me what to do?
Thanks in advance and kind regards,
Irene

I'm trying to understand first. Why would you double-click on the DIC file?

BTW: You can isolate Parallels VMs from OS X. But let us first determine why you click on DIC.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Youtube tutorial Nov 3, 2016

Hello and thank you for your quick answer!
I'm using the Youtube tutorial on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKT87eOpj3w, where at 1:40 it says to click on the file with the extension dic. That's what I did and when Parallels started ...

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Isolate Nov 3, 2016

What happens when you (temporarily) isolate Windows from OS X?

Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 21.47.12

Alternatively, get the relevant files from [email protected] and just copy them to the correct location.

[Edited at 2016-11-04 06:37 GMT]

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Isolate Mac OS from Windows Nov 4, 2016

Thank you for the great support! I'll try this and let you know if it works when I'm at the office again (not today).
Have a nice day,
Irene

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Two operating systems? Nov 4, 2016

Hi Irene,

I don't quite understand why two operating systems are involved in the installation of the spell-check dictionary. Please also check the video instructions here:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/solution/articles/6000110210-installing-a-spell-checking-dictionary

Igor

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Igor Nov 4, 2016

Neither do I! I installed Parallels to use Trados but I was not convinced by this cat tool. However I wanted to keep Paralles just in case.
So I was very happy when I discovered CafeTran which allows me to stick my favourite OS system. The problem came up when I wanted to install the spelling dictionary according to the tutorial mentioned in my first post: that's when Parallels automatically opened ...
I can't check the proposed solution (isolate Windows from Mac OS) now but I will
... See more
Neither do I! I installed Parallels to use Trados but I was not convinced by this cat tool. However I wanted to keep Paralles just in case.
So I was very happy when I discovered CafeTran which allows me to stick my favourite OS system. The problem came up when I wanted to install the spelling dictionary according to the tutorial mentioned in my first post: that's when Parallels automatically opened ...
I can't check the proposed solution (isolate Windows from Mac OS) now but I will on Monday and keep you posted.
Thanks again for your help,
Irene
Collapse

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Isolation did the trick Nov 7, 2016

Thank you for your help: everything worked out just fine.
Just one more question: Do I have to download a spelling dictionary for every new project or just once? I'm not too sure about this.
Kind regards,
Irene

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
One per target language Nov 7, 2016

ibz wrote:

Thank you for your help: everything worked out just fine.
Just one more question: Do I have to download a spelling dictionary for every new project or just once? I'm not too sure about this.
Kind regards,
Irene

One per target language

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 7, 2016

Thanks for your help!
Irene

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spelling dictionary opens in Windows instead of OS

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »