Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Apr 28, 2017

Any solution for that?
I can see excel's source and target columns can be added in the filters section but what about the other columns such as character limits or description?
Or how can I integrate character limitations in excel into cafetran while working?

Thanks for the updates in advance

Best,

M. Ali

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 05:57
Possible workarounds Apr 28, 2017

Ali Bayraktar wrote:

Any solution for that?
I can see excel's source and target columns can be added in the filters section but what about the other columns such as character limits or description?

Currently it's not possible to let CafeTran respect/indicate any character limit, e.g. when translating software strings. This has been requested several times, though, so possibly it's at the developer's to do list.

For now, you could try these workarounds:

• To see the comments/notes: Create a glossary that contains the source segments (without any trailing punctuation characters) and the comments/notes.
  • You can do the same for the character limits.
  • During QA you can define a regular expression to show all segments that exceed a certain number of characters (e.g. for target segments longer than 20 characters: \A.{20,}\z).
  • You can create a macro that counts the numbers of characters (without any tags) both in the source and target segment and compares these numbers. When the target length exceeds the length of the source (by X characters or Y percent) or any given limit Z, a message will be displayed. For Windows, you can do this in AutoHotkey. (But clearly, this is something that CafeTran should offer you.)
  • You can use any third-party QA tool like Verifika or Okapi Checkmate.
  • You can insert a new column in the exported Excel file, insert a formula for the length verification and drag it down to the last row.

[Edited at 2017-04-28 09:13 GMT]

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 05:57
For Mac Apr 28, 2017

For Mac: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000048415

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:57
English to Turkish
+ ...
preview Apr 28, 2017

Hi Ali,

I think you can save a copy of the excel file as html and use it as a preview file.

But I don't find it easy to specify source and target columns in Excel. You can import only one source and one target column. Formatting can prevent importing Excel files. IMO the best CAT tool for multilingual Excel files is memoQ.
HTH
Selcuk

Snapshot_2017-4-28_20-8-37

[Edited at 2017-04-28 17:13 GMT]

Ali Bayraktar
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Separable windows Apr 30, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

Thanks for your time and provided tips.

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
IMO the best CAT tool for multilingual Excel files is memoQ

Thanks
I also think that MemoQ has best compliance with multilingual excel files,
However its translation, fuzzy match, terminology and MT windows are not separable.
And I cant use single monitor while translating, I cant feel myself free on single monitor, I need at least 2 monitors for working.

So Currently I should choose either Cafetran, Trados or Dejavu (they have separable windows)

Best,

M. Ali

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:57
English to Turkish
+ ...
memoQ layout May 1, 2017

Did you see this post? https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/memoQ/conversations/topics/45671

Ali Bayraktar
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 2, 2017

Hi all,

I just uploaded to the files section a short video showing how to do that.

You know you can extract the preview and have it on a second screen... well, you can do the same with the translation grid.

Place the preview pane over the translation grid, 2 tabs will appear. Simply extract the tab with the translation grid out of memoQ.

That way you can have your editor (translation grid) on one monitor and translation results+preview if you want it on another monitor.

That's a nice trick I remember showing a few years back at a memoQfest. So even though it's not "official", it works great.

Kind regards,
Denis

Thank you so much for this thip Selcuk,
This helped me so much.

With the trick described in the link you provided all panes of MemoQ become separable too.
I have opened a topic in MemoQ section within last 1 year asking about this.
I think it will be better if you paste this link to the topic I opened there.

Thanks again,

Best

M. Ali

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Caharacter limit column

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »