Problems getting started
Thread poster: Stephanie Lindqvist
Stephanie Lindqvist
Stephanie Lindqvist  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 19:28
Swedish to English
Jan 23, 2018

I've never used CAT software before but I've got a big project coming up and it will really come in handy. I've been trying out CafeTran and at the beginning it seemed great, but already in the first document I've been running into some problems. I have Windows 10 and downloaded the latest version of Java when I downloaded CafeTran.

1. When I try to move from one segment to a new one, I all of a sudden start getting an error message that reads "Transfer source tags to target. Type a
... See more
I've never used CAT software before but I've got a big project coming up and it will really come in handy. I've been trying out CafeTran and at the beginning it seemed great, but already in the first document I've been running into some problems. I have Windows 10 and downloaded the latest version of Java when I downloaded CafeTran.

1. When I try to move from one segment to a new one, I all of a sudden start getting an error message that reads "Transfer source tags to target. Type a tag number and pres Esc key." This is after clicking the "next" button precisely as I did in the first segments, then all of a sudden it stops working. Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone know what to do here? I can't click on either the source or target text, nor the segment numbers along the side, it's like the program has gone half dead.

2. The instructions for these CAT tools are not exactly always intuitive. They include a lot of jargon that a beginner user doesn't know, without explaining the terms, and I can't find a good manual for it written in non-techy speak. I'm an experienced translator who's not very techy and this is something I need and want to learn. I'm finding it quite frustrating.

Can anyone recommend a place to find good tips for the beginner about how to use the tool in the first place, in normal language? Especially about troubleshooting. (I've read all the help sections on the program itself and watched the videos, and not finding good help for my specific issue.)

3. The tool has also crashed several times, which may be an issue with my computer, but I don't know why it's happening. No other program crashes. Could it be the Java issue that they mentioned when I downloaded it? I downloaded the Java version they recommended though, so it should be ok. ???

4. I am not able to edit anything I've already put into the Target column. How can I do this?

If there's a CafeTran person reading this I will be very, very happy for any help you can give. If I can get it to work properly I think it will be great.

Thank you!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems getting started

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »