Getting started on my first CafeTran project (with Trados files)
Thread poster: BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:38
English to French
+ ...
Apr 3, 2018

Hello All,

Newbie alert! Not a luddite, but not clearly not a proficient user of any ™. Bought CafeTran after finding it too complicated to use Trados on my Mac, so I also have a Trados licence.

Using the feb 2018 version of CafeTran and finding it difficult to get a full tutorial.

I have a job offer for a 10k words translations (with apparently 6k repeats).

Files are one sdlproj, one sdltm and six corresponding sdlxliff.

... See more
Hello All,

Newbie alert! Not a luddite, but not clearly not a proficient user of any ™. Bought CafeTran after finding it too complicated to use Trados on my Mac, so I also have a Trados licence.

Using the feb 2018 version of CafeTran and finding it difficult to get a full tutorial.

I have a job offer for a 10k words translations (with apparently 6k repeats).

1/ I managed to open the sdltm in CafeTran. Does this memory need to "live" in any specific folder to be used during the the translation?

2/ Can I / how do I open a sdlproj file on CafeTran? Or do I translate the sdlxliff files instead?

Thanks for your help.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
SDLPPX? Apr 3, 2018

BabelOn-line wrote:

You didn't get an SDLPPX package, by any chance? In case you have, just drag it onto CT's Dashboard and you're all set.

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:38
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Hans Apr 3, 2018

Actually, yes, the first version of the pack of files to translate came with a sdlppx file - which indeed opened nicely on CafeTran – but client subsequently sent different files formats.

I feel silly asking such super basic questions... So, a ".sdlppx" is what I'd normally want to start with. Do I need to load the tradosTM that was sent to me along with this project? Or is this resource permanently activated after is has been uploaded?

I have looked for a full tu
... See more
Actually, yes, the first version of the pack of files to translate came with a sdlppx file - which indeed opened nicely on CafeTran – but client subsequently sent different files formats.

I feel silly asking such super basic questions... So, a ".sdlppx" is what I'd normally want to start with. Do I need to load the tradosTM that was sent to me along with this project? Or is this resource permanently activated after is has been uploaded?

I have looked for a full tutorial for the Akua version or third party training but did not find much. I guess things will get clearer after a bit.

Thanks for your patience - and the evangelisation work.
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Multiple documents project Apr 3, 2018

Hello Jean,

Good software choice!

CafeTran does not open SDL projects, only SDL packages (SDLPPX) and SDLXLIFF files.

If you have not received a Trados package (SDLPPX), in CafeTran's Dashboard, open the Dashboard menu (menu button), and select Multiple documents project.

Then, just drag and drop the folder containing the SDLXLIFF files. You can choose to glue them together.

CafeTran converts SDLTM to TMX format. This happens autom
... See more
Hello Jean,

Good software choice!

CafeTran does not open SDL projects, only SDL packages (SDLPPX) and SDLXLIFF files.

If you have not received a Trados package (SDLPPX), in CafeTran's Dashboard, open the Dashboard menu (menu button), and select Multiple documents project.

Then, just drag and drop the folder containing the SDLXLIFF files. You can choose to glue them together.

CafeTran converts SDLTM to TMX format. This happens automatically for packages (CafeTran extracts the package at the same location). Otherwise: Memory > Import > Import SDLTM memory (View > Show Memory menu if hidden). I usually set this TMX as read-only, and use a separate project TM for saving the project segments.

Jean
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started on my first CafeTran project (with Trados files)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »