ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:11
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 25, 2019

Hi there,

Another question for Cafetran experts ...
When trying to add a term to the glossary (French to German), I encounter an annoying problems with apostrophes.
An example: If I enter «espace réservé aux eaux» and its equivalent in German «Gewässerraum», the term does not pop up in the glossary when it occurs with the apostrophe (i.e. «l'espace réservé aux eaux»). However, for practical reasons I don't want to enter «l'espace réservé aux eaux» in the
... See more
Hi there,

Another question for Cafetran experts ...
When trying to add a term to the glossary (French to German), I encounter an annoying problems with apostrophes.
An example: If I enter «espace réservé aux eaux» and its equivalent in German «Gewässerraum», the term does not pop up in the glossary when it occurs with the apostrophe (i.e. «l'espace réservé aux eaux»). However, for practical reasons I don't want to enter «l'espace réservé aux eaux» in the glossary, as the term could also show up without apostrophe.

Is there a way to work around this problem without having to add both versions (with and without apostrophe)?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Regards,
Irene
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Ah, a'postrophes… Jan 25, 2019

Okey, this is a complex topic, which has been discussed in several occasions in the past in the official CafeTran forums.

To get a more complete picture, please search for "apostrophes" in https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions

First, it's worth noting that various apostrophe-related updates have been introduced in the last year or so.

... See more
Okey, this is a complex topic, which has been discussed in several occasions in the past in the official CafeTran forums.

To get a more complete picture, please search for "apostrophes" in https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions

First, it's worth noting that various apostrophe-related updates have been introduced in the last year or so.

Here are the relevant announcements:

The latest build (2017122101) also features the following improvements:
[…]
- normalization of source segment apostrophes for the “Prefix matching” feature (all the major variants of apostrophes appearing in the source segments are internally treated as the straight apostrophe to increase the probability of finding the match).

The new build (2018031501) of update 2 is available with the following: Automatic recognition of segment words preceded by the curly apostrophe. The user needs to remove the curly apostrophe from the "Do not match" list in Edit > Preferences > Memory tab to have it matched.

The new build of CTE 2019 Forerunner (2018092401) is available for download, with the following improvements to the spell-checker function:
[…]
- recognition of words with the curly apostrophe (instead of the typewriter/straight apostrophe) inside.

However, please note I rarely translate FROM French and do not use the "Prefix matching" feature for Glossaries, so I have limited experience with this.

In my test, the "Prefix matching" feature, which can be found in Preferences > Glossary does not seem to work for apostrophes, despite the earliest announcement. Maybe I'm doing something wrong (this occurs even after Reloading the glossary).

What seems to work is the following:

- Latest CafeTran version.
- In Edit > Preferences > Memory tab, make sure no curly or straight apostrophe is present in the "Do not match" field.
- In Edit > Preferences > Glossary tab, "Prefix matching" is NOT enabled, but "Look up word stems" IS enabled.

The Glossary entry is recognized even if the source word is preceded by a straight and a curly apostrophe.

Can you test and confirm this on your end?

Explanations regarding the Glossary tab options found in Preferences:
https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/1-Preferences#glossary

[Edited at 2019-01-25 13:49 GMT]
Collapse

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 25, 2019

Hi Jean,

I tried you simpler solution (removing ' from Edit > Preferences > Memory tab and checking the Glossary tab) but unfortunately the entered term without apostrophe still doesn't show up in the glossary.
Any other ideas...?
Irene

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
Test Jan 25, 2019

All three must be true:

- Latest CafeTran version.
- In Edit > Preferences > Memory tab, make sure no curly or straight apostrophe is present in the "Do not match" field.
- In Edit > Preferences > Glossary tab, "Prefix matching" is NOT enabled, but "Look up word stems" IS enabled.

Maybe create a new project for the test.

---

Screenshot:

Edit: This shows the curly apostrophe. The same happens with the straight one.

[Edited at 2019-01-25 14:21 GMT]

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still doesn't work Jan 25, 2019

... my settings are like this:

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
With screenshots Jan 25, 2019

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-25 um 15.27.29

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-25 um 15.27.41

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
Settings seem OK Jan 25, 2019

Hm, settings are similar to mine. And you have the latest CafeTran version, right? It should work, as per my own test, unless some other setting comes into play.

"Look up word stems" uses Hunspell for the stemming. I wonder if you have the latest Hunspell spell-checker for French installed.

Here's a post where I explain wh
... See more
Hm, settings are similar to mine. And you have the latest CafeTran version, right? It should work, as per my own test, unless some other setting comes into play.

"Look up word stems" uses Hunspell for the stemming. I wonder if you have the latest Hunspell spell-checker for French installed.

Here's a post where I explain where to download it and how to install it: https://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/330244-new_to_cafe_tran.html#2763802

On a Mac, if you use the manual mode, you'll need to right-click on the CafeTran Espresso app in Applications and choose "Show package contents" to access the spellchecker subdirectory.

---

The other method, which revolves around "Prefix matching" does produce the expected result for me, so I cannot explain how to make it work.

---

If the developer or other users don't chime in in a day or so, you could also open a Support ticket or post in the official forum.

I'm afraid I can't be of more help here!

Jean
Collapse

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again! Jan 25, 2019

I really appreciate your help!
I'm using the CafeTran Espresso 2018013001-Akua 2018 version. If there is a newer version, I think I would prefer to finish my current projects before installing it.

Just one idea why it maybe doesn't work in my case: I'm using French - Switzerland and German - Switzerland. Could this be the problem ...?

Regards,
Irene

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
Jan 25, 2019

Another test is less conclusive, I cannot figure out how to achieve this systematically on my own machine.

I hope Igor or another user can provide a more definite answer.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jan 25, 2019

Yes, that would be great! This is a major problem for anyone translating from French or any other language with lots of apostrophes.

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
FYI: question also asked in the official CafeTran forum Jan 26, 2019

I have also posted the question in the official CafeTran forum cross-referencing to this post to improve the chances of getting a definite answer: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000056993

Rox-Edling
Rox-Edling
Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
If I remember it correctly... Jan 26, 2019

... it is about deleting the apostrophe characters from the Do not match field. "Look up word stems" is on, "Prefix matching" is off.

Please be aware that there are three or even more different apostrophe flavors (straight, curly - the correct one, to be precise - and any others such as accents and so on, especially in OCR'ed docs). AFAIR there is no solution in CafeTran concerning accents misused as apostrophes.

I am pretty sure this will be documented soon.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Jean Jan 28, 2019

Thank you for your efforts!

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Rox Jan 28, 2019

Thank you!
I adjusted all the settings but it still doesn't work (see also discussion above). I hope this issue can be solved soon - would be a great help!
Regards,
Irene

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
Try installing the source language spell checker Jan 28, 2019

Hello Irene,

While waiting for the developer to chime in as well, and since Rox-Edling is more or less confirming the suggested solution, let me ask you:

Do you have a French spell checker installed in CafeTran? I understand you translate FROM French, and spell checkers are mostly meant for the target language (I assume the spell checker for German - Switzerland is already installed).

Unless mistaken, “Look up word stems” relies on the source language s
... See more
Hello Irene,

While waiting for the developer to chime in as well, and since Rox-Edling is more or less confirming the suggested solution, let me ask you:

Do you have a French spell checker installed in CafeTran? I understand you translate FROM French, and spell checkers are mostly meant for the target language (I assume the spell checker for German - Switzerland is already installed).

Unless mistaken, “Look up word stems” relies on the source language spell checker.

To install the French spellchecker, here’s what I suggest:

- Download the latest “Dictionnaires Hunspell 6.3” from https://grammalecte.net/download.php?prj=fr
Direct URL to initiate the download: http://www.dicollecte.org/download/fr/hunspell-french-dictionaries-v6.3.zip

- In CafeTran, Edit > Spell checker: If the French variant is not available in the drop-down menu, then it is not installed. Click the Install dictionary button. Choose the missing variant you wish to install. Press OK, and select the ZIP file. You may need to restart CafeTran. Repeat this for any French variant that you intend to use (you can use the same ZIP).

Once this is done, the apostrophes should be (at least most of the time) recognized with the “Look up word stems” option enabled.

Jean

[Edited at 2019-01-28 12:33 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossary problem regarding words with apostrophe

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »