Understanding the limits of the free version
Thread poster: Benkyo
Benkyo
Benkyo
Japan
Local time: 18:57
Japanese to English
Mar 19, 2020

I appreciate that support may not be available or intended for freeloaders, but I want to complete one project before I decide whether or not CafeTrans is worth switching to.

The problem I have is this:

I started a JP>US project with about 700 segments, and got about 150 segments in before the guy I'm working with sent me an extensive revision of the source document.

I tried using "store memory in total recall" for the TM to date, and started a new project
... See more
I appreciate that support may not be available or intended for freeloaders, but I want to complete one project before I decide whether or not CafeTrans is worth switching to.

The problem I have is this:

I started a JP>US project with about 700 segments, and got about 150 segments in before the guy I'm working with sent me an extensive revision of the source document.

I tried using "store memory in total recall" for the TM to date, and started a new project with the new source document, but when I used "recall memory" I got the error message about exceeding the limits of the trial version.

Can anyone explain why 700+150 exceeds a limit of 1000, or explain what I did wrong, or even what I should be doing?

I'm used to using background TMs for various projects in overlapping fields with well over 1,000 segments, so if I am to continue using CafeTrans I will certainly need to pay for it. I do want to trial it first though.

Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2020-03-19 02:17 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Demo version Mar 19, 2020

Hello,

There is no limit in the number of segments a project can hold in the Demo version.

Without a license file, the free copy of CafeTran Espresso that you download will run forever — but with the following limitations: You won’t be able to work with TM files that are larger than 1000 TU’s in size (in total), and you will not be able to make use of glossaries that are larger than 500 terms (in total). To remove those limitations, you need a license file gene
... See more
Hello,

There is no limit in the number of segments a project can hold in the Demo version.

Without a license file, the free copy of CafeTran Espresso that you download will run forever — but with the following limitations: You won’t be able to work with TM files that are larger than 1000 TU’s in size (in total), and you will not be able to make use of glossaries that are larger than 500 terms (in total). To remove those limitations, you need a license file generated specifically for your computer.

Source: https://www.cafetran.com/get-cafetran/

You cannot use Total Recall if the resulting TMX (translation memory) has more than 1,000 segments.
Collapse

Benkyo
Benkyo
Japan
Local time: 18:57
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still clear as mud Mar 19, 2020

That hasn't improved my understanding at all.

You say a tmx cannot be greater than 1,000 segments (tu's?), but I am finding I cannot work with a 150-ish segment tmx "recalled" to a 700 segment project.

What am I misunderstanding? What is the actual limit I am running up against?

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:57
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
In total Mar 20, 2020

Hi,

You must have exceeded the free-version limit of the total number of translation units in all the translation memories including duplicate units (e.g ProjectTM.tmx, Total Recall etc).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:57
Member (2008)
Italian to English
CLoning question Apr 4, 2020

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

..... you need a license file generated specifically for your computer.

I regularly clone my hard drive to an external hard drive. Occasionally, when a disaster happens (usually because I've done something stupid) I need to boot from the external drive and clone the whole thing back to my computer. Will my CafeTran licence be cloned in that process?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
my two Coronacents Apr 4, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

..... you need a license file generated specifically for your computer.

I regularly clone my hard drive to an external hard drive. Occasionally, when a disaster happens (usually because I've done something stupid) I need to boot from the external drive and clone the whole thing back to my computer. Will my CafeTran licence be cloned in that process?

Depends on which licence you are using, there are three:

1. free (don’t know anything about this one)
2. activation courtesy of Proz.com Plus membership. start CT and click the Proz.com thingee, which automatically activates yr CT (assuming internet connection is active)
3. real, purchased licence. this one is linked to info re yr computer, so you need to email Igor again in case anything relevant changes that might deactivate yr copy of CT. I have one of these but often just rely on option 2. above since I mess around with my computers a lot (way too much) and often destroy my licence

MB

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Wait Apr 4, 2020

Thanks Michael. I'll await further clarification - hopefully.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
My 2 cents Apr 4, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Occasionally, when a disaster happens (usually because I've done something stupid) I need to boot from the external drive and clone the whole thing back to my computer. Will my CafeTran licence be cloned in that process?

I've been re-installing CafeTran Espresso the last days, due to a shift to my home MB and I've noticed that it's very tolerant to restoring.

BTW: CafeTran Espresso on a Thunderbolt display (not retina, so low resolution):

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 20.10.59

Same arrangement on a retina 13" MBP:

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 20.11.52 (2)

Imagine what your options would be on a 27" retina screen.

[Edited at 2020-04-04 18:14 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
thanks Hans Apr 4, 2020

Hans Lenting wrote:

I've been re-installing CafeTran Espresso the last days, due to a shift to my home MB and I've noticed that it's very tolerant to restoring.

Thanks Hans - that's reassuring. So you haven't had any problems with your license?

[Edited at 2020-04-04 23:38 GMT]

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
True Apr 5, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Thanks Hans - that's reassuring. So you haven't had any problems with your license?

That's indeed true.

BTW: View > Windows > Layout 6 (full size here)

And the corresponding PDF on the MB, using CafeTran Espresso's built-in PDF viewer:

Besides espresso, macchiato and schiumato are also preferred here.

[Edited at 2020-04-05 05:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Understanding the limits of the free version

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »