Does CTE run on Mac Mini M1 with ARMv8 Java port?
论题张贴者: Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting  Identity Verified
荷兰
正式会员 (自2006)
German德语译成Dutch荷兰语
Nov 11, 2020

Apple announces new M1 Mac Mini:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/apple-announces-new-m1-mac-mini-starting-at-699/

Java on ARM:

https://bell-sw.com/java/arm/performance/2
... See more
Apple announces new M1 Mac Mini:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/apple-announces-new-m1-mac-mini-starting-at-699/

Java on ARM:

https://bell-sw.com/java/arm/performance/2019/01/15/the-status-of-java-on-arm/

End users will find a good choice of providers of Java and OpenJDK binaries for Arm.
Both the ARMv7 and ARMv8 Java ports are fully functional and the sources are available from OpenJDK
Collapse


 

Tom in London
英国
Local time: 07:53
正式会员 (自2008)
Italian意大利语译成English英语
OK but Nov 11, 2020

OK but what older versions of the OS will it run?

 

Hans Lenting  Identity Verified
荷兰
正式会员 (自2006)
German德语译成Dutch荷兰语
主题发起人
Rosetta 2 Nov 11, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

OK but what older versions of the OS will it run?


Older versions of OS X (and macOS) perhaps via a new Parallels Desktop.

Older apps emulated via Rosetta 2, just like the transition to Intel 15 years ago (Rosette 1).


 

Tom in London
英国
Local time: 07:53
正式会员 (自2008)
Italian意大利语译成English英语
Yes, until.... Nov 11, 2020

Hans Lenting wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

OK but what older versions of the OS will it run?


Older versions of OS X (and macOS) perhaps via a new Parallels Desktop.

Older apps emulated via Rosetta 2, just like the transition to Intel 15 years ago (Rosette 1).


Yes- until they kill Rosetta 2 .... and the higher-end model still uses a 6-core ***INTEL*** Core i5 chip.

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/mac-mini/

[Edited at 2020-11-11 08:37 GMT]


 

Tom in London
英国
Local time: 07:53
正式会员 (自2008)
Italian意大利语译成English英语
Slow Nov 11, 2020

I am using CTE on an excellent but elderly Mac Mini with maxed-out RAM and an SSD I installed myself:

Screen Shot 09.27.40

Using the maximum amount possible for Java, but I'm finding it is very slow sometimes especially when I'm translating random segments not in chronological order, in a big file. Maybe the new MM will make CTE go faster and more smoothly? Every other application I use on this MacMini runs very well and fast. It's only CTE that has the problem.


[Edited at 2020-11-11 11:04 GMT]


 

Hans Lenting  Identity Verified
荷兰
正式会员 (自2006)
German德语译成Dutch荷兰语
主题发起人
What is a big file? Nov 11, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Using the maximum amount possible for Java, but I'm finding it is very slow sometimes especially when I'm translating random segments not in chronological order, in a big file.


I'm having no problems with this old MB, with less specs:

Naamloos

How many segments does your big file have?


 

Tom in London
英国
Local time: 07:53
正式会员 (自2008)
Italian意大利语译成English英语
Stats Nov 11, 2020

Screen Shot

 

Hans Lenting  Identity Verified
荷兰
正式会员 (自2006)
German德语译成Dutch荷兰语
主题发起人
There should be no delay Nov 11, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Screen Shot


With 5 K segments there should be no delay.

You should open a ticket:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new


 

Tom in London
英国
Local time: 07:53
正式会员 (自2008)
Italian意大利语译成English英语
Big segments Nov 11, 2020

Hans Lenting wrote:

With 5 K segments there should be no delay.

You should open a ticket:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new


I'll probably do that. Would the size of the segments affect the speed? Some of the segments are quite big. For example:

"La rinascita del «diritto romano», cioè, della codificazione bizantina del metodo romano di risolvere le quistioni di diritto, coincide con l'affiorare di un gruppo sociale che vuole una «legislazione» permanente, superiore agli arbitri dei magistrati (movimento che culmina nel «costituzionalismo») perché solo in un quadro permanente di «concordia discorde», di lotta entro una cornice legale che fissi i limiti dell'arbitrio individuale, può sviluppare le forze implicite nella sua funzione storica."

That's all one sentence = 1 segment


 

Hans Lenting  Identity Verified
荷兰
正式会员 (自2006)
German德语译成Dutch荷兰语
主题发起人
That's not extreme either Nov 11, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

"La rinascita del «diritto romano», cioè, della codificazione bizantina del metodo romano di risolvere le quistioni di diritto, coincide con l'affiorare di un gruppo sociale che vuole una «legislazione» permanente, superiore agli arbitri dei magistrati (movimento che culmina nel «costituzionalismo») perché solo in un quadro permanente di «concordia discorde», di lotta entro una cornice legale che fissi i limiti dell'arbitrio individuale, può sviluppare le forze implicite nella sua funzione storica."

That's all one sentence = 1 segment


Nothing unusual


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

本论坛的版主
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does CTE run on Mac Mini M1 with ARMv8 Java port?

Advanced search






Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • 术语搜索
  • 工作
  • 论坛
  • Multiple search