Formatting dates in Visio
Thread poster: One Planet
One Planet
One Planet
Local time: 08:07
Arabic to English
+ ...
Oct 23, 2008

I am currently using Microsoft Visio 2003 and need to format the dates for a European and Asian audience. Whenever, I click in each box, I can type a new date, such as changing 3/17/2008 to 17/3/2008, but as soon as I click out, it changes back to 3/17/2008. I have searched Microsoft's Help as well as all of Visio and cannot find a solution to this. How do I format dates or how can I get what I type to remain in the box? Thank you.

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:07
German to English
+ ...
maybe... Oct 24, 2008

I have no idea whether this is the right answer, but given MS's penchant for trying to do everything for you even if it's not what you want, it might be that the date format is chosen automatically according to the selected language attribute. In any case, it wouldn't hurt to try changing the language setting to see what happens.

Update:>
From a bit of cursory googling, it appears that the format in 'general' date fields (e.g. header or footer) follows your system settings, so
... See more
I have no idea whether this is the right answer, but given MS's penchant for trying to do everything for you even if it's not what you want, it might be that the date format is chosen automatically according to the selected language attribute. In any case, it wouldn't hurt to try changing the language setting to see what happens.

Update:>
From a bit of cursory googling, it appears that the format in 'general' date fields (e.g. header or footer) follows your system settings, so you will have to change your system language (e.g. to UK English) to get the European date format. However, if you are working with an inserted field, you can specify the format in the same way as with a date field in Word.

[Edited at 2008-10-24 20:58]
Collapse

One Planet
One Planet
Local time: 08:07
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it does depend on the settings... Oct 27, 2008

Thank you very much. The solution was, in fact, that you had to change the Regional language settings on your computer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting dates in Visio

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »