Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 6, 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a French-English financial report in Word with incrusted Excel tables, but when I try to change the amounts in euros, say, "678,59" to "678.59", the system slots in a code such as "B=54". Does anyone know an easy way of getting round this?

TIA,

Mervyn

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Don't. Nov 6, 2008

That's not the way it works.

Just leave the commas and dots as they are and define the thousands and decimal separators in the Tools>Options>International dialog. Applies to the currently open document only, AFAIK.

HTH,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2008-11-06 10:19]

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
change the language setting Nov 6, 2008

Change the language setting to English. If the values were entered with a language setting for which commas are used as decimal markers, they will be converted automatically.

By the way, the English term is 'embedded tables'.

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:02
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Hi Mervyn, Nov 6, 2008

My Excel version is not 2003, but I think this should be the same in all versions.

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the International tab. Under Number Handling, clear the Use system separators check box. Type a comma in the Decimal separator box.

I hope this helps.

sureshkumar84
sureshkumar84
India
Local time: 10:32
English
+ ...
answer Nov 6, 2008

Sir
I didn't get it your question clearly. But I have a few solutions.
Go to tools option click add-in. Then check it the euro conversion option then install it if you not previously done. Now you may not have the problem.
If it p
... See more
Sir
I didn't get it your question clearly. But I have a few solutions.
Go to tools option click add-in. Then check it the euro conversion option then install it if you not previously done. Now you may not have the problem.
If it persists go to this link

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/results.aspx?qu=change%20the%20amount%20from%20dollor%20to%20euro&sc=9&av=ZXL110
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great Nov 6, 2008

Thanks a million, all of you. I'll have a go at it later.

Mervyn

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aha Nov 6, 2008

Brilliant. Tools - Options - International.

Thanks a lot again - it was embarrassingly easy.

Mervyn

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting commas to dots in Excel 2003

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »