Thread poster: sivtufte
sivtufte
sivtufte  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 04:08
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Nov 7, 2008

I am about to start working here, and the file sent - in regular Word, ending .doc - refuses to open!

The client sent me a "blueprint" of what it's supposed to look like when I finish (no TM).
The sketch opens just fine. I've tried to download both in DAP and by my regular mail, no improvement.

So, I'm sitting here thinking - could it be the client sent me files from 2 different Office versions? I've got 2003, SDL Trados 2007 Freelance, they've never chrashed on
... See more
I am about to start working here, and the file sent - in regular Word, ending .doc - refuses to open!

The client sent me a "blueprint" of what it's supposed to look like when I finish (no TM).
The sketch opens just fine. I've tried to download both in DAP and by my regular mail, no improvement.

So, I'm sitting here thinking - could it be the client sent me files from 2 different Office versions? I've got 2003, SDL Trados 2007 Freelance, they've never chrashed on me before.

Or could it be prob's decoding the document?
It's been a long day already... Any ideas - anyone?
Collapse

sivtufte
Norway
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word won't etc... Nov 7, 2008

I'm beginning to think I could print the doc, scan it back, convert it in ABBYY FineReader and THEN work on it... The formatting is supposed to be word anyway.

That would work, right?

Philippe Leve
Philippe Leve  Identity Verified
France
English to French
different version of office Nov 7, 2008

Hi

I've got problem with files sent, written with word 2007, and an older version of word (mine is 2003 I think) is not able to read it, neither open it.
Maybe it's the same problem.
Ask your sender to record it under a lower version of word, or upgrade yours.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong and out of subject!

Regards

sivtufte
Norway
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That might actually be it :) Nov 7, 2008

I thought about it earlier on, but none of the forums had any info on just that, it seemed. Still I just read the headlines...

Thank you, all solutions will be considered - and if it helps I'll be ever so thankful

Don't stay up too long then

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:08
Spanish
+ ...
Word 2003 can open Word 2007 files Nov 7, 2008

As far as I know, Word 2003 can open any doc file. But just in case, Microsoft does have a compatibility program that allows you to open and work with Office 2007 files in Office 2003. Here's the link:Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats.

Maybe your client's file was corrupted when he uploaded it. T
... See more
As far as I know, Word 2003 can open any doc file. But just in case, Microsoft does have a compatibility program that allows you to open and work with Office 2007 files in Office 2003. Here's the link:Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats.

Maybe your client's file was corrupted when he uploaded it. Tell him to send it to you again.

Good luck,

Claudia
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Try Open Office Nov 8, 2008

I had Word files that would not open for some reasons or even cause Word to close down. In 99% of these cases, I was able to open them in Open Office, so I could at least see what they were all about. However, if you need to work on them, you might want to ask the client to save them as RTF files. Never had any trouble opening those.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word file won't open!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »