Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:26
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 8, 2008

I saved by mistake an excel file and replaced it with a blank sheet (stupid me, I was not thinking). I don't have an updated back up. Where can I find the previous version in my PC?
Thanks!!!
Paola

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 02:26
Spanish to English
Something to try Dec 8, 2008

Try your PC's search function. In "search", hit the "advanced" tab, and set it for Excel (sheet/ formula). Then in the date tab, set it to find all files "modifed" between (last day you had the file) and today.
Just might help you find it.

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the file - I know where it is Dec 8, 2008

I mean, I have it just in front of me, but it is blank instead of containing the datas,
because by mistake I replaced it absent-mindledly with a blank sheet. Unfortunatly, I had not back it up on my portable hard disk. I tried to use the Windows support to restore a previous version, but did not succeed. I am sure there's a way.

MLeiria
MLeiria  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:26
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Temp files Dec 8, 2008

One possibility (not very likely, but might worth the shot) is to go through the temp files with a size bigger than 1k created/modified in the time lapse you've been working in the file.
These will be stored in C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp or something of the sort. Try to open the files with Excel, irrespective of their extension (probably TMP). The formatting will have gone down the drain, but it's possible you'll be able to at least recover some of the content.
... See more
One possibility (not very likely, but might worth the shot) is to go through the temp files with a size bigger than 1k created/modified in the time lapse you've been working in the file.
These will be stored in C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp or something of the sort. Try to open the files with Excel, irrespective of their extension (probably TMP). The formatting will have gone down the drain, but it's possible you'll be able to at least recover some of the content.

Best,

Manuel
Collapse

Translation-Pro
Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Good free data recovery program Dec 9, 2008

Hi Paola,

You could download and try this program. I once lost a file and was able to recover it.

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/info.htm?language=1

Hope this helps!

Christa

milinad
milinad  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:56
German to English
No solution Dec 9, 2008

I am afraid you have lost the file. As far as I know there Excel does not save previous version of the files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT: error in saving

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »