My screen stays blank
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 12:34
English to German
+ ...
Dec 9, 2008

Hi! it just went dark, power signal is there, but no data and no display. I had changed the cables and cables connectors as well, but the phenomenon persists. Does anyone know how to go about it. I talk to a techie, but he is too busy to get around to it. BR Brandis

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-12-09 15:18 GMT]

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Try another monitor Dec 9, 2008

The first thing to do is to try with another monitor, to see if the problem comes from the monitor or from the computer. Given the results, there are several possibilities...

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you I have these Dec 9, 2008

hi! about 2 more in the stock, but these are not so good as this one. This one is special 24" and I had used it only 1 year. Currently I am using my older one though. But it would be nice to get around to this 24" grand screen. BR Brandis

NetLynx
NetLynx  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Then - Dec 9, 2008

- check the monitor with another computer.
If working, and monitor no. 2 still has no signal, the error could be with the graphics adapter, especially if the computer seems to run properly.
If possible, check with a working graphics adapter.

Good luck!

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
did not check with another comp. Dec 9, 2008

hi! But I had changed the adapter with a higher and with a lower memory and processing speed. And I checked all adapters with older monitors and all are functioning fine. I had checked almost possible trouble shooting, i could think of. A few years ago I read about this phenomenon in a CNA course material, but I do not have that material anymore. BR Brandis

Thomas Ochiltree
Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:34
Latin to English
+ ...
Two possibilities Dec 9, 2008

Try plowering down using the power button, then when the power light is off, using the same button to power up.

Another possibility is that the fluourescent backlight has burned out. This will have to be replaced by a professional.

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Then take the monitor for repair Dec 9, 2008

Brandis wrote:

hi! about 2 more in the stock, but these are not so good as this one. This one is special 24" and I had used it only 1 year. Currently I am using my older one though. But it would be nice to get around to this 24" grand screen. BR Brandis

If other monitors work and the 24" monitor does not work, you should take the monitor to the repair shop.

If it only has one year, it must sill be covered by the guarantee.

Daniel

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank to all of you... Dec 13, 2008

hi!it was indeed the lamp that got burned out. I have given it for repairing and shall get it back in a week´s time. God! that was a headache. Thank you again . BR Brandis

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solved.. Feb 25, 2009

Hi! thank you for all the helping hints. In the lcd type of monitors there is no direct light pistol, instead there is a spread pcb that runs in the background covering the signals. The repair did not cost much, but the amount of time to understand it had truly costed. Thank you all the same. BR Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My screen stays blank

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »