Dell mini 9
Thread poster: Elisa Noetinger
Elisa Noetinger
Elisa Noetinger  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Dec 10, 2008

Hello everyone!

I would like to buy another laptop, actually a netbook. I am not sure the Dell Mini 9 would be ok to use Trados, internet and translate in general. The idea is to use it when I am away from home...

Here are the specs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Inspiron_Mini_9

Or if anyone can recommend another one?

Thanks!<
... See more
Hello everyone!

I would like to buy another laptop, actually a netbook. I am not sure the Dell Mini 9 would be ok to use Trados, internet and translate in general. The idea is to use it when I am away from home...

Here are the specs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Inspiron_Mini_9

Thanks!

Elisa
Collapse

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:36
English to Russian
+ ...
I bought Acer Aspire One.. Dec 10, 2008

for traveling and interpretation assignments. Almost twice less expensive than HP Mini or Dell mini 9 (I am not even talking about ridiculously expensive Fujitsu with a keyboard good only for a midget), tons of disk space. Pink was the only available color and I call it Barbie computer. Now comes the best part: Window XP instead of Vista.

Nicole Maina
Nicole Maina  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:36
German to Italian
+ ...
just bought a Samsung NC10... Dec 10, 2008

...but have not received it yet (it should arrive on friday).

Why I chose it:

- 10.2" display and full-size keyboard (that's what the specs on the samsung site say, but I still believe it will be very hard to write on it for a long time)

*and* it is an anti-glare display, which means you can also use it outdoors or in a car or on the beach or whatever. when I use my glossy 17"-laptop outdoors, I can't see anything, particularly when it's sunny.

... See more
...but have not received it yet (it should arrive on friday).

Why I chose it:

- 10.2" display and full-size keyboard (that's what the specs on the samsung site say, but I still believe it will be very hard to write on it for a long time)

*and* it is an anti-glare display, which means you can also use it outdoors or in a car or on the beach or whatever. when I use my glossy 17"-laptop outdoors, I can't see anything, particularly when it's sunny.

- 6 cells battery - up to 7 hours power (I sincerely hope this will prove true!)

- 160 GB storage and 1 GB RAM

- Windows XP (and not Vista)

...and much more... have a look at http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/detail/features.do?group=itbusiness&type=notebookcomputers&subtype=nseries&model_cd=NC10RH/XEU

As soon as I start using it, I'll tell you more!

hth somehow
Collapse

Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Dreaming of a netbook which can be used as a kindle too Dec 10, 2008

That would be my wish, a monitor like a kindle or sony reader and then you put it with your keyboard and it works as a netbook.
Has any company such a gadget?

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Possibly too small for extended use Dec 10, 2008

Hi Elisa

I've had an EEE PC since September, and it's great to have it, but before you buy a netbook, you should seriously consider precisely what you need it for.

With a 9/10" screen and small keyboard, not to mention practical limitations as far as memory etc is concerned, it's not ideal for "proper" work as such. Just for filling in dead hours when travelling, for example.

I use mine when travelling, so I can keep a check on my mail, and maybe do small j
... See more
Hi Elisa

I've had an EEE PC since September, and it's great to have it, but before you buy a netbook, you should seriously consider precisely what you need it for.

With a 9/10" screen and small keyboard, not to mention practical limitations as far as memory etc is concerned, it's not ideal for "proper" work as such. Just for filling in dead hours when travelling, for example.

I use mine when travelling, so I can keep a check on my mail, and maybe do small jobs in Word, etc.

For not much more money you could buy a standard laptop, with a decent screen and keyboard, and all the memory you need to run CAT tools, Dragon etc. And not too heavy either.

Like Felipe, I've been wondering when someone is going to incorporate a kindle-like feature in a netbook. So far I've used my EEE PC for reading texts downlaoded from Gutenberg:-)
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
E-ink and screen display Dec 10, 2008

Felipe Gútiez wrote:

That would be my wish, a monitor like a kindle or sony reader and then you put it with your keyboard and it works as a netbook.
Has any company such a gadget?

I am afraid the e-ink is too slow for a computer display... What you might like is a tablet with detachable keyboard, such as this:

http://www.tabletpc2.com/Review-HPTC1100.htm

But then, you lose both advantages of the e-ink device - eyes-friendly display and long battery life (last time I went through two books in about two weeks on my Sony Reader and the battery was about half depleted...).

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Dell mini 9 Dec 10, 2008

Elisa Noetinger wrote:

Here's a list:

linuxdevices.com/articles/AT5050455510.html

... and even this isn't complete, although it's fairly comprehensive - and it only includes the devices with Linux. Someone, somewhere, has probably got a list of the Windows netbooks.

Marc

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not for a few years, I can promise you that. Dec 10, 2008

Lia Fail wrote:

Like Felipe, I've been wondering when someone is going to incorporate a kindle-like feature in a netbook.

E-book readers have a special e-ink display that would be totally useless in a computer. So on a netbook you're stuck with an lcd that is not very readable in sunlight and devours energy. So battery life would be a fracion of that of an ebook reader.
To add insult to injury, making a flip-over screen would only make sense if you put a couple of control buttons on the bezel and/or made it a touchscreen. All of these features cost a pretty penny, and netbooks are supposed to be cheap.
So if some manufacturer attempted to make a netbook double as an ebook reader it would be a poor ebook reader with an outrageous price tag and terrible battery life... with today's technology anyway.

Edit: if someone put trados on a netbook please report. I suspect that the hardware limitations may kick in and make it a horrible experience... but then who knows? Perhaps CATs don't stress the CPU much and on a netbook with SSD, TM and term searches should even be faster than normal.

[Edited at 2008-12-10 22:14 GMT]

Elisa Noetinger
Elisa Noetinger  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 11, 2008

Hello everybody!

Thank you al so much for the comments and advice:) I actually have a proper Toshiba laptop but I want a second one to use when I am away. Surely to check emails, type in Word, etc. I am not sure about installing TRADOS in a tiny netbook with little memory capacity;).

I know the memory and battery aspects are quite important in these. Oh and it´s true that a very tiny screen can be annoying, thanks for the advice!!

I saw the Dell mini at 27
... See more
Hello everybody!

Thank you al so much for the comments and advice:) I actually have a proper Toshiba laptop but I want a second one to use when I am away. Surely to check emails, type in Word, etc. I am not sure about installing TRADOS in a tiny netbook with little memory capacity;).

I know the memory and battery aspects are quite important in these. Oh and it´s true that a very tiny screen can be annoying, thanks for the advice!!

I saw the Dell mini at 273 pounds, with Windows XP. The Linux is cheaper, but as I never used that system I´d rather stick with what is familiar to me

Thanks again!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dell mini 9

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »