Phantom Emails
Thread poster: Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:00
French to English
Dec 12, 2008

I received a job offer this morning on my Blackberry via my gmail account. I accepted and when I got back to my office I opened thunderbird to download the email with its attachment. No email appeared. I opened gmail and there was no letter there either. The email had even disappeared from my blackberry! I rang the agency to check that I hadn't been dreaming and they confirmed that they has sent me a job.
Has anyone else experienced vanishing emails or any idea about what might have happen
... See more
I received a job offer this morning on my Blackberry via my gmail account. I accepted and when I got back to my office I opened thunderbird to download the email with its attachment. No email appeared. I opened gmail and there was no letter there either. The email had even disappeared from my blackberry! I rang the agency to check that I hadn't been dreaming and they confirmed that they has sent me a job.
Has anyone else experienced vanishing emails or any idea about what might have happened
Collapse

sivtufte
sivtufte  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
I had one go the other way around... Dec 12, 2008

I finished a job, zipped it and sent it - with Outlook.
It didn't come trough for almost a week. The worst part about it was that I was so busy at that point, that I failed to check with the client if they got the mail. They also spend time proofreading, so it didn't even strike me that they hadn't recieved it.

I had no suspicion whatsoever, until I suddenly got the copy that I had sent to my other E-mail account, 6 days too late. (Ironi isn't it, I send myself a copy to ma
... See more
I finished a job, zipped it and sent it - with Outlook.
It didn't come trough for almost a week. The worst part about it was that I was so busy at that point, that I failed to check with the client if they got the mail. They also spend time proofreading, so it didn't even strike me that they hadn't recieved it.

I had no suspicion whatsoever, until I suddenly got the copy that I had sent to my other E-mail account, 6 days too late. (Ironi isn't it, I send myself a copy to make sure I know that everything is just fine - as I just upgraded my Outlook to the latest version. It fails me... And I STILL don't think of it.)

Needless to say - I got red hot, then cold, then I sweat and panic. I sent the mail again, from my other account. 6 days late. As if that would save the day! What could I do?
Why didn't they call me, mail me or try to get in touch??? - I had 2 full days of horrible thoughts about Outlook, Microsoft, my own uncredible neglect and more - and searched for what the cause could be. I never found out just what happened, and just had to let it go. The client asked for a different translator.
Am I pissed of? Oh yes.
But there was no valid excuse - and I just had to deal with it.

Still, I don't trust Outlook. I was told, not long ago, that if the formatting is not plain text - Outlook may resist sending it. But - a zipped file??? I still can't believe it.

That's my story, " the Phantom delivery failure mail..."
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
So I was right.... Dec 12, 2008

...for not having a Blackberry! Aha!

(Sorry. I just could not help it. Good luck with the research!)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Phantom Emails

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »