Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Dec 22, 2008

Dear Colleagues,

I need help for finding the exact word count of a web site (not flash, simple commercial web site)

Can anybody explain the process?

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,

M. Ali

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
make a local mirror Dec 22, 2008

If the site is plain HTML, you can,

1. Using Websnake or Teleport pro to download the whole site to your local hard drive.
2. Using Practicount or other counting tools to batch count all the files.

Hope this helps.

Dallas

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:16
Member (2006)
French to English
dynamic Dec 22, 2008

I use WinHTTrack for html sites.

Does anybody know the best way to deal with a dynamic site?

Thanks,

John

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:16
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Asking to the site owner Dec 22, 2008

John Di Rico wrote:
Does anybody know the best way to deal with a dynamic site?

While a static website can be, in most cases, downloaded to prepare a quote, it is still better to ask the site owner, or their webmaster, to provide the official version to be translated. This is to avoid discrepancies from what they expect to receive back and what the translator may be able to extract.

In the case of dynamic sites, instead, where the content shown on-line comes usually from a database, this is the only reasonable route.
Extracting the content using the web interface is not a safe method to put together the original material to translate, or it could be extremely time consuming.

The translators, in this case, should always work on the basis of content provided by the site owner, in a format convenient for translation.

Gianfranco

Ali Bayraktar
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all Dec 22, 2008

Thank you for your kind advices.

You helped me very much.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I count the words in Word Dec 23, 2008

I go to the website, I highlight the words, then copy and paste them into Word. I do like this for every page and link. I do not copy words that are repeated; for example, sometimes words like "home" or "about", or the contact data are displayed on every page.

In this way, you go through all the pages and check the content, the repetitions, you can always ask the customer if he/she wants everything translated, etc. Many times they don't want things like Terms & Conditions or Forums
... See more
I go to the website, I highlight the words, then copy and paste them into Word. I do like this for every page and link. I do not copy words that are repeated; for example, sometimes words like "home" or "about", or the contact data are displayed on every page.

In this way, you go through all the pages and check the content, the repetitions, you can always ask the customer if he/she wants everything translated, etc. Many times they don't want things like Terms & Conditions or Forums translated. In the case of repetitions, many titles, subtitles, headers or footers of a page start in the same way; that would be 100% matches that a machine can't count well.

Regards,
Cristina
Collapse

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:16
Japanese to English
Build a client relationship Dec 23, 2008

Asking the client to provide a document for translation in the easiest form for you to translate it is a good practice for a number of reasons.

It makes the client responsible for the document that you end up translating, so there are no quibbles about completeness.

It allows you to schedule the right amount of time.

It educates the client and their organization in the requirements of translation.

It helps to build a relationship with the clien
... See more
Asking the client to provide a document for translation in the easiest form for you to translate it is a good practice for a number of reasons.

It makes the client responsible for the document that you end up translating, so there are no quibbles about completeness.

It allows you to schedule the right amount of time.

It educates the client and their organization in the requirements of translation.

It helps to build a relationship with the client and their organization through the various transactions that arise.

However, there's no doubt that knowing the dirty way of grabbing a whole website will be useful at times...
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:16
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Another opinion Dec 23, 2008

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:
I need help for finding the exact word count of a web site (not flash, simple commercial web site). Can anybody explain the process?

1. Ensure that you know which pages are included in the web site. It is easy to miss a page, even if you use a download manager or a web site ripper. The best way to ensure that you know of all pages is to ask the client for the pages.

2. For HTML pages, I use OmegaT to do the counting. Simply create a new project as if you're going to translate it, and then look in the project folder for the statistics file.

Which program will you be using to do the translation in? Does that program not have a word counting function?

Ali Bayraktar
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The best solution Dec 24, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
Which program will you be using to do the translation in?

I am planning to do it with tag editor.

Does that program not have a word counting function?

Yes, but:

Finecount and Trados do not give the right word count.

Trados counts the codes too.

So I have contacted with the client and they will hand me the original files (webmaster's files)

So, IMHO the final solution in such situations is: contacting the client (in fact, client's webmaster)

Thank you again,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count all words in an online web site

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »