Thread poster: Textklick
Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:32
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 17, 2009

I received a PDF that would not open from a customer. The error message was something like "This file is irreparably damaged".

They suggested I open it in Adobe Reader, which I had to download. Stupidly I did that.

Having done that, clicking on any PDF would make it open in Reader only i.e. I could not process it in full Acrobat.

After the issue with their messed up PDF was sorted (eventually, they faxed me the file...
See more
I received a PDF that would not open from a customer. The error message was something like "This file is irreparably damaged".

They suggested I open it in Adobe Reader, which I had to download. Stupidly I did that.

Having done that, clicking on any PDF would make it open in Reader only i.e. I could not process it in full Acrobat.

After the issue with their messed up PDF was sorted (eventually, they faxed me the file, I decided to uninstall Reader. Done. I click on a PDF icon = "Windows can't open this file because it does not know what application created it" So we sort that by selecting Acrobat and saying 'Open all files of this format in that application' as usual.

But now, I still cannot open a PDF by clicking on the icon, (even if Acrobat is open) but have to open the application again, select the the file and open it that way.

Yawn!

Any ideas?

TIA

Chris

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-02-18 08:14 GMT]
Collapse

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:32
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Reinstall Acrobat Feb 17, 2009

That's certainly brute force, but I am quite sure un- and then reinstalling Acrobat would solve the problem.
Attila

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:32
English to Russian
Why don't you re-install the full version? Feb 17, 2009

I would also advise deleting the Acrodat folder from your Windows Registry after de-installing the programme and before re-installing the full Acrobat version.

Tamer Mekhimar
Tamer Mekhimar  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 11:32
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Try this Feb 17, 2009

First try to reboot your machine and see what will happen.

If your problem not get solved, try the following (but be sure to have the acrobat installed):

Right click on the file you want to open>Open With>Choose Program>Choose Adobe Acrobat>Always use the selected programs to open this kind of file>Ok

Textklick
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Shukran! Feb 17, 2009

Tamer Mekhimar wrote:

First try to reboot your machine and see what will happen.

Sure, I did that.

Right click on the file you want to open>Open With>Choose Program>Choose Adobe Acrobat>Always use the selected programs to open this kind of file>Ok

I did that as well (see above). However, doing it a second time has now restored normality.

Another of those odd times when you have to say to the computer "I already told you to do that, right? Now, I'm telling you again!

I would have chosen the reinstall option, but I am very busy flitting in between PDFs, hence my quest for a quick fix.

Thanks guys

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 16:32
English to Indonesian
+ ...
adjust file type Feb 18, 2009

you may want to try adjusting pdf to your acrobat. open a folder, click on tools - folder options. then select file types. choose pdf or make one if there isn't any, click change for 'opens with' option. select or browse for acrobat, if it isn't on the list.
as for reader, i prefer opening pdf files in foxit reader or pdf xchange than adobe reader. both are lightweight and portable.

quiffy
quiffy
Why not install Foxit Reader? Much better than the overrated Adobe. Feb 18, 2009

Adobe Acrobat is a huge, "bloatware" application.
Foxit Reader is much easier to use and uses a fraction of your computer's
resources. And it's free!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
This is a known Acrobat issue Feb 18, 2009

Textklick wrote:
But now, I still cannot open a PDF by clicking on the icon, (even if Acrobat is open) but have to open the application again, select the the file and open it that way.

Acrobat's installers and file associations have a way of being messed up. For example, you can have two versions of the Reader installed, but you can't associate PDF files with the older version. And if you uninstall the newer version, you have to reinstall the older version to set the associations (you can't do it yourself). I don't know what the Adobe engineers did, but they sure f^Hmessed up.

Textklick
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Foxit follows Feb 18, 2009

Christopher White B.A. (Honours) wrote:

Adobe Acrobat is a huge, "bloatware" application.
Foxit Reader is much easier to use and uses a fraction of your computer's
resources
. And it's free!

Thanks Chris,

I am going to do this (when the project is finished - I'm paranoid about doing that sort of thing in mid project).

Thanks also for the term 'bloatware' - it made my day! Just like Norton, to say nothing of the odd applications here and there that get regularly discussed here?

Best,
Chris

[Edited at 2009-02-18 09:56 GMT]

quiffy
quiffy
Foxit PDF Reader Feb 18, 2009

Here is additional material on the problems with Adobe bloatware entitled
"Alternatives to Adobe Products
and How to Fight Adobe Acrobat Bloatware"

http://www.softpanorama.org/WWW/alternatives_to_adobe_products.shtml

The page includes a direct link to the Foxit download page.

I've been using Foxit for 2 years now. It's
... See more
Here is additional material on the problems with Adobe bloatware entitled
"Alternatives to Adobe Products
and How to Fight Adobe Acrobat Bloatware"

http://www.softpanorama.org/WWW/alternatives_to_adobe_products.shtml

The page includes a direct link to the Foxit download page.

I've been using Foxit for 2 years now. It's a joy to use and I would never go back to
Adobe Acrobat.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe Acrobat issue: difficulty opening a file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »