Ebrahim Mohammed
Ebrahim Mohammed
Germany
Local time: 10:48
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 19, 2019

background:

I have downloaded an Open Access Arabic-English Translation Memory which was before downloading, as it should be, in tmx format, but for some reason the TM is downloaded in txt format like the following:

my question:

how could I convert this file in TXT format into a file in tmx format so that I could add it to be used in translation projects using Trados and CafeTran Espresso

[Edited at 2019-05-19 15:14 GMT]

[Ed
... See more
background:

I have downloaded an Open Access Arabic-English Translation Memory which was before downloading, as it should be, in tmx format, but for some reason the TM is downloaded in txt format like the following:

my question:

how could I convert this file in TXT format into a file in tmx format so that I could add it to be used in translation projects using Trados and CafeTran Espresso

[Edited at 2019-05-19 15:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-05-19 15:16 GMT]
Collapse

Ebrahim Mohammed
Ebrahim Mohammed
Germany
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you in advance May 19, 2019

thank you in advance

[Edited at 2019-05-19 15:49 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Quick and dirty solution! May 19, 2019

First, check that the .TXT file has the right number of tabs (= columns) to correspond to a .TMX file — if it originally came from one, it probably will have!

Secondly, in a basic text editor utility, open any existing .TMX file you have, in order to get just the header (you may or may not delete the rest of the text, as you see fit)

Thirdly, copy and paste your .TXT file into the .TMX template below the header (watch out, if the .TXT file has its own header, you mig
... See more
First, check that the .TXT file has the right number of tabs (= columns) to correspond to a .TMX file — if it originally came from one, it probably will have!

Secondly, in a basic text editor utility, open any existing .TMX file you have, in order to get just the header (you may or may not delete the rest of the text, as you see fit)

Thirdly, copy and paste your .TXT file into the .TMX template below the header (watch out, if the .TXT file has its own header, you might need to delete this, being careful about exaclty where you stop and start (¶ marks etc.))

Fourthly, open said newly-created .TMX file in your chosen application and 'reorganize' it to make sure it is OK.

I have to say that I have not tried this specific manœuvre, but use one materially similar to achieve a similar task in my own CAT tool.

In the case of my own CAT tool, it actually offers the option to merge an existing TM with another file in .TXT or .TMX format — I don't know if your CAT tool might have the same feature?

Do note that, if this .TXT file originally came from a .TMX file, you might find (using a working copy of it!) you could simply try changing the file extension and see if that is all that is needed!

[Edited at 2019-05-19 15:31 GMT]
Collapse

Ebrahim Mohammed

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Maybe a browser/web server problem? May 19, 2019

Ebrahim mohammed wrote:
I have downloaded an Open Access Arabic-English Translation Memory...

Do you mean this one?
https://github.com/anastaw/Meedan-Memory
(or similar)

1. Your post doesn't show the sample that you were trying to attach, so I'm just guessing what your problem might be. Could it be that your browser downloaded the TMX file in a way that is unusable for you?

One solution for this is to use your browser's right-click function. Right-click the download button on that web site and select "Save linked content as" (or similar, depending on your browser). However, the right-click trick only works if the web site has a good and proper design (and unfortunately the GitHub site was designed by buffoons).

The way to download the TMX file from GitHub, is this: visit the URL mentioned above, then click the "Clone" button, and select to download the "zip" version. Then unzip the zip file using e.g. 7-zip.

2. ProZ.com's forum system doesn't work well with pasted XML, so what you paste may not be what the forum software displays. However, there are ways to see what someone had tried to post, and I was able to see the content that you tried to post in your second post, and I can confirm that it is perfectly good TMX. You must just make sure the content is saved as a file with the file extension ".tmx".

Tony M wrote:
Do note that, if this .TXT file originally came from a .TMX file, you might find (using a working copy of it!) you could simply try changing the file extension and see if that is all that is needed!

I don't understand the advice that Tony gave (sorry!) but on this I concur: if the file is a TMX file but it's file extension is ".txt" (or anything else that your browser may have chosen), simply change the file extension to ".tmx". To be able to do this, you need to enable file extension view temporarily: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoTah9YBG2Y

[Edited at 2019-05-19 16:14 GMT]

Ebrahim Mohammed

Ebrahim Mohammed
Ebrahim Mohammed
Germany
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Samuel...your tips are helpful and much apprectiated ..it has worked ! May 19, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

Ebrahim mohammed wrote:
I have downloaded an Open Access Arabic-English Translation Memory...

Do you mean this one?
https://github.com/anastaw/Meedan-Memory
(or similar)

1. Your post doesn't show the sample that you were trying to attach, so I'm just guessing what your problem might be. Could it be that your browser downloaded the TMX file in a way that is unusable for you?

One solution for this is to use your browser's right-click function. Right-click the download button on that web site and select "Save linked content as" (or similar, depending on your browser). However, the right-click trick only works if the web site has a good and proper design (and unfortunately the GitHub site was designed by buffoons).

The way to download the TMX file from GitHub, is this: visit the URL mentioned above, then click the "Clone" button, and select to download the "zip" version. Then unzip the zip file using e.g. 7-zip.

2. ProZ.com's forum system doesn't work well with pasted XML, so what you paste may not be what the forum software displays. However, there are ways to see what someone had tried to post, and I was able to see the content that you tried to post in your second post, and I can confirm that it is perfectly good TMX. You must just make sure the content is saved as a file with the file extension ".tmx".

Tony M wrote:

I don't understand the advice that Tony gave (sorry!) but on this I concur: if the file is a TMX file but it's file extension is ".txt" (or anything else that your browser may have chosen), simply change the file extension to ".tmx". To be able to do this, you need to enable file extension view temporarily: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoTah9YBG2Y

[Edited at 2019-05-19 15:47 GMT]

Ebrahim Mohammed
Ebrahim Mohammed
Germany
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Tony I am trying to figure out and lern from your guiding steps ...much appreciated May 19, 2019

thank you Tony... I am trying to figure out and lern from your guiding steps ....still, your respose much appreciated....have a nice day...

Tony M wrote:

Thirdly, copy and paste your .TXT file into the .TMX template below the header (watch out, if the .TXT file has its own header, you might need to delete this, being careful about exaclty where you stop and start (¶ marks etc.))

Fourthly, open said newly-created .TMX file in your chosen application and 'reorganize' it to make sure it is OK.

I have to say that I have not tried this specific manœuvre, but use one materially similar to achieve a similar task in my own CAT tool.

In the case of my own CAT tool, it actually offers the option to merge an existing TM with another file in .TXT or .TMX format — I don't know if your CAT tool might have the same feature?

[Edited at 2019-05-19 15:31 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Indeed May 20, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

Thank you, Samuel. That's indeed how I was able to download the TM. Then I opened it in one of the tools mentioned by the OP. All looks fine to me.

Screenshot 2019-05-20 at 10.17.52

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how could I convert this file in TXT format into a file in tmx format

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »