Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 20, 2019

Hello

I'm having trouble identifying/naming a character that looks like a hyphen. When I try to copy it, it either doesn't copy at all, or is transferred as an ordinary space. I used Babelpad.exe to attempt to identify it. I also considered that it might be a space that is formatted with strike-through, but it aint that either.. The character can be seen here and o
... See more
Hello

I'm having trouble identifying/naming a character that looks like a hyphen. When I try to copy it, it either doesn't copy at all, or is transferred as an ordinary space. I used Babelpad.exe to attempt to identify it. I also considered that it might be a space that is formatted with strike-through, but it aint that either.. The character can be seen here and on my screen it looks exactly like a hyphen (even in various other fonts).

Any ideas?
Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2019-09-20 16:01 GMT]
Collapse

Mikhail Zavidin
Mikhail Zavidin
Local time: 15:59
English to Russian
+ ...
This is a hyphen character (2Dh) Sep 20, 2019

The character inside the “vise-voorsitter” word reads as a hyphen character with hex code 2D.

[Редактировалось 2019-09-20 15:09 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:59
Danish to English
+ ...
Where? Sep 20, 2019

Where exactly in that document is it supposed to be?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Arghhhhhh... Sep 20, 2019

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
Where exactly in that document is it supposed to be?

What you see here is the effect of caching. I renamed the file so that caching doesn't affect it. Try the link again (-: Anyway, I found out it's a non-breaking hyphen.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:59
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Solution Sep 21, 2019

Here is a universal procedure. Open the file in LibreOffice Writer, place the cursor next to the character in question, hit Alt + X to convert the character to its code (Alt + X again converts back), search the Web.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 21, 2019

esperantisto wrote:
Open the file in LibreOffice Writer, place the cursor next to the character in question, hit Alt+X to convert the character to its code...

This also works in MS Word, but only for some characters. It does nothing for my mystery character. In LibreOffice, though, it gets identified as U+2011, i.e. non-breaking hyphen.

It's just odd to me how copying that character from Word to the clipboard causes it to change to a space. The Windows clipboard's plain text portion is generally quite robust.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help identify character, please

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »