Thread poster: Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 16:20
German to English
+ ...
Sep 5, 2017

My PC has developed a frightening habit: it keeps randomly waking up on its own from hibernation. Usually it occurs in the morning but sometimes in the night. Very unpleasant experience. Maybe somebody knows how to stop this practice?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:20
Member (2008)
Italian to English
A process Sep 5, 2017

There is probably some process running that you don't know about. To find out what's waking the computer you would need to run some sort of diagnostic. I know how to do this on the MacOS but not on PC. No doubt someone else will be able to help you. It's probably something very simple once you've identified it - but it could be anything. First question: is your hard drive mechanical or an SSD? Second question: do you leave applications running (such as email + checking) when your computer is hi... See more
There is probably some process running that you don't know about. To find out what's waking the computer you would need to run some sort of diagnostic. I know how to do this on the MacOS but not on PC. No doubt someone else will be able to help you. It's probably something very simple once you've identified it - but it could be anything. First question: is your hard drive mechanical or an SSD? Second question: do you leave applications running (such as email + checking) when your computer is hibernating?

[Edited at 2017-09-05 09:25 GMT]
Collapse

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Similar Sep 5, 2017

I had a similar experience at home with the old computer. Used to wake up to some Live events I was subscribed to.

So I stopped leaving it on "sleep / hibernation" mode, just "shutting it down". It helped.

I think if you shut it down, it will not wake up in this way.

All the best,
VS

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
BIOS + wale-up treggers Sep 5, 2017

I'd rather check BIOS and network cards/devices wake-up settings.
(Do backup settings and consult someone responsible and proficient!)

Or an interference and malfunctions ma come to play)

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your tips Sep 5, 2017

As I am a well-known computer idiot and overloaded with jobs till the end of the month, extended searches are out of the question. Shutting PC down and then restarting all programs and docs is a mess, so I think that for the time being I'll simply let the PC do as it pleases:) as it seems that this is not a dangerous activity

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:20
English to Italian
Links Sep 5, 2017

A couple links:

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/windows-10-sleep-hibernation-settings,2-4.html
http://www.howtogeek.com/122954/how-to-prevent-your-computer-from-waking-up-accidentally/
... See more
A couple links:

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/windows-10-sleep-hibernation-settings,2-4.html
http://www.howtogeek.com/122954/how-to-prevent-your-computer-from-waking-up-accidentally/
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-keeps-waking-up-from-sleep-in-the/58052fd3-87fe-4457-aeaf-974b5ea15080?auth=1

I'd start by checking the options mentioned in the first link.

Also, even if your PC wakes up randomly, if you set a timer for it to go sleep again, it should do so regardless.
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a million, Mirko Sep 5, 2017

you are the best:)

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Something really stupid Sep 5, 2017

I know this sounds terribly stupid, but it happened to me: do you have a laser mouse (one with a light, rather than a physical ball that moves over the surface)? If so, is it possible that the surface you leave your mouse on is subject to any vibration while your computer is off? (For instance, if you operate some machine or bump the table accidentally.) The mouse might be sending a tiny little movement to the computer, which then wakes up. Try leaving the mouse turned upside down and see whethe... See more
I know this sounds terribly stupid, but it happened to me: do you have a laser mouse (one with a light, rather than a physical ball that moves over the surface)? If so, is it possible that the surface you leave your mouse on is subject to any vibration while your computer is off? (For instance, if you operate some machine or bump the table accidentally.) The mouse might be sending a tiny little movement to the computer, which then wakes up. Try leaving the mouse turned upside down and see whether your computer wakes then.Collapse

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 5, 2017

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

I know this sounds terribly stupid, but it happened to me: do you have a laser mouse (one with a light, rather than a physical ball that moves over the surface)? If so, is it possible that the surface you leave your mouse on is subject to any vibration while your computer is off? (For instance, if you operate some machine or bump the table accidentally.) The mouse might be sending a tiny little movement to the computer, which then wakes up. Try leaving the mouse turned upside down and see whether your computer wakes then.

I have a laser mouse but the problem is that PC starts when I am sleeping and alone in the room. I live on the 10th floor so vibrations from starting a motor are hardly believable.
Anyway, I'll try to leave the mouse upside down and see what happens.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:20
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Long shot Sep 5, 2017

Do you have a cat that walks along your keyboard in the middle of the night? (this once happened to me).

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Sep 5, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Do you have a cat that walks along your keyboard in the middle of the night? (this once happened to me).

I don't have a cat or dog, or another pet, only some plants. The strangest thing is that I have had this PC for two years and this poltergeist appeared out of the blue some 2 weeks ago.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
No maintenance or schedule? Sep 5, 2017

Usually notebooks are prone to abusing Power?/battery settings and wake-up triggers, yet if your PC is plugged to UPS (namely an external battery), then checking Power scheme options might help. Hopefully, it's something trivial, not hardware issues.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Turn the machine off Sep 6, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:

Shutting PC down and then restarting all programs and docs is a mess

What is the mess? I have 3 machines and turn them off when I go to bed, and turn them on first thing in the morning, take a shower, have my breakfast, etc, and when I am ready, my computer is too.

So to be frankly, I don't see the problem.

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 6, 2017

DZiW wrote:

Usually notebooks are prone to abusing Power?/battery settings and wake-up triggers, yet if your PC is plugged to UPS (namely an external battery), then checking Power scheme options might help. Hopefully, it's something trivial, not hardware issues.

my CP is connected to UPS but within 2 years I have not changed any options.

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So what? Sep 6, 2017

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

Shutting PC down and then restarting all programs and docs is a mess

What is the mess? I have 3 machines and turn them off when I go to bed, and turn them on first thing in the morning, take a shower, have my breakfast, etc, and when I am ready, my computer is too.

So to be frankly, I don't see the problem.

We are all entitled to different views and opinions and, sorry, but I don't hail your opinions and views as absolute truth.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it a poltergeist?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »