Tradupro17
Tradupro17
United States
Local time: 02:27
English to Haitian-Creole
+ ...
Jul 26, 2018

Hi Guys,
Yesterday, I just turned on my computer to proofread a translation and send it out, but the computer got smoky and died on me, do you think it can be fixed? It is a desktop with Windows OS. Thank you all for your input!

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Only a technician can diagnose Jul 26, 2018

You will have to take the unit to a computer repair shop. In many cases, a faulty power supply can be replaced if that's the only problem. If the motherboard is defective, you'll probably need a new computer.

Make sure the vents on the enclosure are not clogged with dust.

Tradupro17
Tradupro17
United States
English to Haitian-Creole
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 26, 2018

Thank you Kevin,
I am sure it's not dust because I dusted it two weeks ago. I will take it to a repair shop this afternoon.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Replaced Jul 26, 2018

Depending on the PC age, UPS availability, hardware, maintanance, error messages/beeps, and the smoke type, intensity, and origin... It requires some 212F to start burning, so be careful and don't power on the PC again, because it may get even worse. Hopefully, it's just a replaceable component (a power unit, a memory unit, a video card, or a CPU), without damaging the slots (the mobo), let alone the HDD/SDD.

Also it's a really good idea to have a backup--to share or regularly copy
... See more
Depending on the PC age, UPS availability, hardware, maintanance, error messages/beeps, and the smoke type, intensity, and origin... It requires some 212F to start burning, so be careful and don't power on the PC again, because it may get even worse. Hopefully, it's just a replaceable component (a power unit, a memory unit, a video card, or a CPU), without damaging the slots (the mobo), let alone the HDD/SDD.

Also it's a really good idea to have a backup--to share or regularly copy the project and TM/glossary to continue working on the PC or a notebook. Nope, for most clients a broken computer or software is no excuse!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

computer

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »