Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Local time: 16:36
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Jun 9, 2019

I just realised (via an RIP to another deceased member) that Jack Doughty passed away on May 9th 2019.

I just want to say that he was a wonderful contributor to Kudoz and was always polite, respectful and non-confrontational. A true gentleman!

I had missed seeing his responses recently and I am truly sad to hear of his passing.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

edited to add h
... See more
I just realised (via an RIP to another deceased member) that Jack Doughty passed away on May 9th 2019.

I just want to say that he was a wonderful contributor to Kudoz and was always polite, respectful and non-confrontational. A true gentleman!

I had missed seeing his responses recently and I am truly sad to hear of his passing.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

edited to add his profile here

https://www.proz.com/profile/8364

[Edited at 2019-06-09 14:25 GMT]
Collapse

Grace Anderson
P.L.F. Persio
Hans Lenting
DZiW (X)
Rachel Fell
writeaway
Yolanda Broad

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 17:36
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sincere condolences Jun 9, 2019

My sincere condolences to his family and friends as well.

I'm wondering what others think about the following suggestion:

Profiles should clearly sate if a colleague died (in memoriam part) but the whole profile should be shown.
I wanted to check Jack's language pairs (I think it was Russian to English or the opposite or both?) and his bio etc. and I cannot get any information about his translation accomplishments and translation related contributions.
I t
... See more
My sincere condolences to his family and friends as well.

I'm wondering what others think about the following suggestion:

Profiles should clearly sate if a colleague died (in memoriam part) but the whole profile should be shown.
I wanted to check Jack's language pairs (I think it was Russian to English or the opposite or both?) and his bio etc. and I cannot get any information about his translation accomplishments and translation related contributions.
I think it is very important to show deceased colleagues' profiles who they were, their translation related legacy.
This is also important for beginner translators or for future translators, because when we refer to a colleague who died, those translators who didn't have chance to work with him/her won't know anything about the person.

So the memoriam sign should be shown at first on profiles who deceased then the whole profile as it was last saved but of course the contact options should be deleted of course.

What do you think?
Collapse

Grace Anderson
Christine Andersen
Vera Schoen
Christel Zipfel
Thayenga
Angus Stewart
Hans Lenting

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, agree full profile should be shown of deceased members Jun 9, 2019

or at the very least a short version of their profile with the salient facts, and a summary of their contributuons to the site (with appropriate links).

I believe Jack's language pair was Russian to English but I mainly "knew" him from the En>En pair on Kudoz where he is the "all-time" points leader.

I'd also like it if members were informed via a newspost or forum post when someone passes. I just happened to notice "in memorium " under Jack's condolence in the RIP Nico
... See more
or at the very least a short version of their profile with the salient facts, and a summary of their contributuons to the site (with appropriate links).

I believe Jack's language pair was Russian to English but I mainly "knew" him from the En>En pair on Kudoz where he is the "all-time" points leader.

I'd also like it if members were informed via a newspost or forum post when someone passes. I just happened to notice "in memorium " under Jack's condolence in the RIP Nicole Schnell post. Otherwise I would not have known.
Collapse

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
writeaway
Trinh Do
Barbara Carrara
Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Nikolai Muraviev
Angie Garbarino

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 10:36
English to Russian
+ ...
No! Jun 9, 2019

Jack was a beloved member of the Russian - English community since the beginning of Proz.

An invaluable contributor to Kudoz in many technical fields, especially Aviation, Jack also was a translator of Russian prose and poetry. A true admirer of Russian culture and literature, he loved a unique phenomenon of Russian singer-songwriter (we called him "bard") Vladimir Vysotsky, whose verses are very hard to translate in a way that would be fully felt and appreciated by a foreign heart.
... See more
Jack was a beloved member of the Russian - English community since the beginning of Proz.

An invaluable contributor to Kudoz in many technical fields, especially Aviation, Jack also was a translator of Russian prose and poetry. A true admirer of Russian culture and literature, he loved a unique phenomenon of Russian singer-songwriter (we called him "bard") Vladimir Vysotsky, whose verses are very hard to translate in a way that would be fully felt and appreciated by a foreign heart.

Very, very sad news. Dear Jack, all Russian oldtimers will miss you deeply.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Yolanda Broad
Vadim Kadyrov
writeaway
Irina Chamritski
Margarita
Vladimir Filipenko

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
RIP Jun 9, 2019

I had the pleasure of meeting Jack at a couple of Powwows, several years ago when I was a relative newbie. He was a mine of information and I learnt a lot listening to his voice of experience. He will be missed by all who knew him.

I agree it would be good if profiles could remain accessible in some way.

P.L.F. Persio
writeaway
Barbara Carrara
RU_MD
Nikolai Muraviev
Elizabeth Adams

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
So sorry Jun 9, 2019

I'm so sorry to hear of the death of Jack Doughty. What a loss to the profession! My condolences to his family.
Jenny

Hans Lenting
Tom in London
Nikolai Muraviev

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
They remain Jun 9, 2019

Yvonne Gallagher wrote:

This is what I really appreciate. ProZ leaves the profiles of out late colleagues - and all their posts active to provide an invaluable source of information for the community.

R. I. P. Jack. You and, your great advice and your wonderful sense of humor will be greatly missed. My condolences goes out to his family and friends.

Tom in London
Nikolai Muraviev
Viviane Marx
Daryo
Erzsébet Czopyk

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
So sorry to hear this Jun 9, 2019

I echo the sentiments that have already been expressed here. I was acquainted with him from his contributions to English monolingual. He seemed highly knowledgeable and, as Katalin and others have indicated, a true gentleman.

I agree also that, at the very least, a basic breakdown by language combination of deceased members’ contributions should be visible when their names are clicked on. It makes sense to inform everyone that the person in question has died, but this should not b
... See more
I echo the sentiments that have already been expressed here. I was acquainted with him from his contributions to English monolingual. He seemed highly knowledgeable and, as Katalin and others have indicated, a true gentleman.

I agree also that, at the very least, a basic breakdown by language combination of deceased members’ contributions should be visible when their names are clicked on. It makes sense to inform everyone that the person in question has died, but this should not be the totality of the information that is conveyed.

[Edited at 2019-06-10 01:59 GMT]
Collapse

writeaway
Inge Meinzer
Iris Schmerda
Tom in London
Tanami
Nikolai Muraviev
Viviane Marx

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
He wil be missed Jun 9, 2019

Condolences to those who were close to Jack - they will certainly miss him.

I agree - please can a picture at the very least be added to the profile - and preferably an outline of who Jack Doughty was and his contributions to the site?

I'll miss his comments in English KudoZ! Rest in peace, dear Jack.

Inge Meinzer
Yolanda Broad
Iris Schmerda
Ivana Kahle
writeaway
David Lin
Angus Stewart

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:36
English to German
+ ...
My deepest sympathy Jun 9, 2019

I am so sorry hearing about Jack's passing. He will be remembered for his knowledge and kindness.
Also knew him through KudoZ. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Bernhard Sulzer

Tom in London
Gudrun Wolfrath
Nikolai Muraviev
P.L.F. Persio

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Condolences for his family Jun 10, 2019

He totally blew me away once on a "nostalgia" thread, starting with "When I first started translating in 1962": wait a mo Jack that was before I was born, and it's not like I'm a spring chicken! And there he still was, only reaction possible was respectfully bowing to the wealth of the amazing experience he was kind enough to share with us.

Jean Dimitriadis
P.L.F. Persio
Rachael Clayton
Tom in London
Luximar Arenas Petty
Gudrun Wolfrath
Margarita

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Goodbye Captain Jun 10, 2019

Philippe

Tom in London
Gudrun Wolfrath
Angie Garbarino
Mr.Q
P.L.F. Persio

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Goodbye Jack Jun 10, 2019

I will miss your comments, often humorous, and always kind and supportive in Quick Polls. You will be remembered for your knowledge and experience. My sincere condolences go to your family and friends.

Tom in London
Gudrun Wolfrath
P.L.F. Persio

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
Really sorry to hear about this Jun 10, 2019

As has already been said, Jack was a much-loved member of our Russian-English community, whose knowledge, passion and generosity were an inspiration to us all. I would have loved to have met him, but it wasn't to be. Rest in peace, Jack.

P.L.F. Persio
Gudrun Wolfrath

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jack, a translator from another era, tells of his first job Jun 10, 2019

Jack, was truly a translator from another era. Here, in a forum post to congratulate him on his Golden (50 years) anniversary as a translator he talks about his first job

https://www.proz.com/forum/honors_citations/8430-jack_doughty_s_golden_jubilee.html

"…a Russian course at the end of which, in June 1953, six of us were p
... See more
Jack, was truly a translator from another era. Here, in a forum post to congratulate him on his Golden (50 years) anniversary as a translator he talks about his first job

https://www.proz.com/forum/honors_citations/8430-jack_doughty_s_golden_jubilee.html

"…a Russian course at the end of which, in June 1953, six of us were posted to an RAF signals unit in Hongkong.

We were marched in to see the Senior Intelligence Officer.

SIO: “Ah, our six new linguists! Do you speak Mandarin or Cantonese?”

Corporal: “Russian, sir.”

Consternation! We were not expected and they hadn’t a clue what to do with us. As an ex engine fitter, I spent the first month working on an outboard motor belonging to an officer. Eventually they did find a very small amount of work, which I and one other stayed on to do, from August 1953 onwards, while the other four went back to Europe after a free trip to the Far East at the RAF’s expense.

After such an inauspicious start, things could only get better. I have always enjoyed translating, in staff jobs for the RAF, Civil Service and BBC, as well as freelance work.

Those of you who wish me a further 50 years are probably aiming a little high, but I hope to carry on for a few more years yet..."
Collapse

writeaway
P.L.F. Persio
IrinaN
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Gudrun Wolfrath
Barbara Carrara
Nikolai Muraviev

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

RIP Jack Doughty

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »