So, how many of you are moving to Groups.io this year?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 10, 2019

Hello

As some of you may be aware, Yahoogroups is going to delete all old messages by mid-December, and will change its e-mail group service to a mail-forwarding service. This has prompted many Yahoogroups groups to seek other accommodation.

I'm curious about how many of you are either members of a Yahoogroup that is moving to Groups.io or are a moderator or owner of a Yahoogroup that is moving to Groups.io. If you are the owner or moderator of a group that is moving,
... See more
Hello

As some of you may be aware, Yahoogroups is going to delete all old messages by mid-December, and will change its e-mail group service to a mail-forwarding service. This has prompted many Yahoogroups groups to seek other accommodation.

I'm curious about how many of you are either members of a Yahoogroup that is moving to Groups.io or are a moderator or owner of a Yahoogroup that is moving to Groups.io. If you are the owner or moderator of a group that is moving, are you moving the entire group (the $220 option) or are you moving only the members list (the $20 option) or are you creating a new free group and simply inviting all old members to the new group?

At least four groups that I'm a member of, have moved. I have also moved one of my own groups, ZaLang (a general discussion group for South African translators), using the $220 option. For another one of my own groups, ZaLangMed (you can guess...) I have decided to simply create a new free group and upload all old messages as files.

For many of the groups that I'm a member of, I have used the IgnoredAmbience python scripts to download all old messages and files, and I have written a small JSON-to-EML converter in AutoIt to convert the downloaded messages to a format that I can import into Thunderbird.

So, how about you?

Samuel
Collapse

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:36
English to German
+ ...
PT Nov 11, 2019

I am a member of Pt, who has moved last Friday without any hustle. However, an additional $200 was necessary in order to have this done quicker as the Moderators said -- otherwise -- the Group was in line as 600th-something to be moved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

So, how many of you are moving to Groups.io this year?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »